I suggest you ...

Add tax support and partial split

There is a typical case I meet usually: I went to Walmart with my two roommates. X bought $10 things for himself, Y bought $12, Z bought $15. Meanwhile, we bought $30 things for sharing. And X paid the bill. Note that the money above didn't include the tax (I'm in US, one has to pay additional 8.75% tax of the original price). In this case we want to split the $30 and its tax equally, while each pay for his own thing including that tax. Since on the receipt the tax is only a sum, it's annoying for us to calculate the exact money (or the percentage) for each of us. I think it'll be great if we only need to input 1.the original money of each person, 2.the original money of the common part, 3.the tax-included total money, 4.tax rate, and it'll automatically calculate how much one owes. This is also useful when we go to restaurant together and order separately. The key fact is that the tax makes calculation difficult..

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Qingquan Zhang (qqz) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminSplitwise Support (Admin, Splitwise) responded  · 

Sorry for the trouble – I’ll pass on the feedback! For now, you could try adding your bill on our website and choosing “itemized bill” as the split method, which includes some handling for tax (and for splitting up a bill’s items between multiple people).

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love for the app to apply tax to my expense ie. I'm splitting my grocery bill and adding individual amounts and my settings would have my pre-defined "user" tax amount.
        If you can get really fancy then you would have an option to somehow (smartly) have an override if you happen to be travelling and tax amounts change ...

• Dan Erez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

many times we would like to split our bill before tax and only then add tax / tip per person ( buying at stores / eating at restaurants) . this could be implemented very simply by adding a pre-tax / post tax and tip button or adding tax by invited percent after the bill was split .

Feedback and Knowledge Base