General

1. Set expense/bill priority.

It would be great to be able to set certain expenses by priority. For example, some household utility bills need to be paid ASAP, where as beer money, and some misc. expenses are not so urgent.

If you could set a priority to bills, then it may be possible to see which bills need to be payed asap, and which ones can wait a while.

This feature is very handy for people that have to be tight with money and can pay only what they have to first.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Putting priority on bills is a great idea. We are moving towards being able to apply payments to specific expenses for better tracking, but I like the idea of visibly showing which ones need to get paid vs the not as important drug store run. I’ll bring it up with my teammates and see if it/when it’s something we can get on our schedule.

2. You can only collapse an expanded expense by clicking exactly horizontal with the expense total

I just noticed that the only area listening for a click to collapse an expanded expenses is a thin strip exactly parallel with with amount total of the expense. It would be nice if clicking anywhere in the expanded expense header collapsed the expense.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Anon,

Very interesting suggestion! That is by design, but I’m curious to see if other people agree. Personally, I like they way it works but I’ll leave this under review to think about as we are tweaking design.

Cheers,
    Jon

3. suggession

Hi, I have been using splitwise for a while and provided comments previously as well.

I have recommended this site to my friend in my apartment and we are all using it. Recently, we are around 8 family have gone for trip and while dividing our expenses, we thought it would be good if it was in this way. And listing our thoughts here..

1. there should be a way to create sub-group or instance under Group and have only people involved. We have a group "BIGELOW" which is our apartment name and a lot of people part of it. But…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

These are some great suggestions. I’ve heard a few people ask for the “sub group” recently, and it’s something I think would be helpful too. It’s something we’ll be discussing at our next company meeting. The dashboard is something we’re planning on having a big redo on in the future to show more information about your entire account.

4. Total payable amount breakdown while sending reminder

Hi there,

Great work with the app. I downloaded the app today, used it for a while and I think I am gonna stick with it for a long long time. Its very useful for me. A couple of ideas or suggestions i would like to give though-

1) while sending reminder, it would be great if i could send a screenshot of the expenses owed by my friend at the other end. May be a screenshot or a simple breakdown of the expenses, it would be very helpful.

2) its irritating that everytime i have to assign a bill…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll pass ‘em on at our meeting on Monday, but here’s a quick response:

1) Good thought! We do provide a link to Splitwise in the reminder email, where that person can log in and view the full list of bills, but it could definitely be nice to see the list directly in the email.

2) You’re definitely not the first to ask for this, but there are a few reasons we haven’t done it. The first is selfish – requiring invites helps Splitwise to grow, which allows us to keep the service free rather than having to charge. The second reason is user confusion – you’d be surprised how often people email us wondering why they can’t see the bills their friend added, or why their copy of the app shows a different balance than their friend’s (usually because they email addresses they’re using don’t…

5. Plates app: unequal food items

I'd like to suggest the ability to unequally split a food item. My example is recently we ordered a bucket of beers at dinner. The dinner was with 3 people total and 5 beers in a bucket. 2 people had 2 each, while the 3rd person only had 1.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This probably isn’t something we’ll be able to add to Plates (the existing interface is already quite complicated), but we’ll look into it if this gets a lot of votes.

Marshall

6. Make the Spending Breakdown table sortable or at least order it by amount spent

Also, I don't see a reason to provide my name and email every time I want to give feedback…while logged in.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback. This is a sensible request that I can see us considering next time we make an update to the spending breakdown view.

Our support system is run by a third party (UserVoice). We don’t have a way to automatically pass them your info when you go to access support from the web app, hence the ask.

7. Let me link to my profile for people to add ME

I want to share my profile on facebook with a bunch of my friends so that they can add me and I don't have to collect email addresses. Or just have my facebook/google friends be on my friends list by default, then if they make an account we're already friends and they can see their balance.

Also, what good does linking my google or facebook do?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

It certainly makes sense to have a shareable profile link – in fact, I’m pretty sure that’s on our to-do list already (we just haven’t gotten to it yet). I’ll pass on the “default friends list” suggestion as well.

Right now, connecting with Google lets you access your Google contacts straight from Splitwise, so that when you start typing in a name, we can autocomplete that person’s email address. (Connecting with Facebook just lets you log in; we don’t currently request any access to your list of Facebook friends.)

8. Splitwise day!

Pls promote making some day of every month as Splitwise day where people can simplify their debts and pay off the balances!!

Sometime like 10th of every month.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Leader and Slacker board

Hi,
    It would be nice to see who's been taking the heat and who's been slacking throughout the month and throughout the year. A graph to depict that would be awesome. this is typically helpful when people don't settle up when they are supposed to. Time value for money... etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I think this is awesome. There’s nothing like shame to quickly make people pony up the money they owe! This is something that I’ll talk with my teammates and see if it’s something we can fit on the schedule.

10. Make it more clear how to remove someone from a group

I couldn't find where to remove a person from a group on the web app, so I had to do it on my mobile app. Ideally it would as straightforward on each

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, our website could definitely use some love in the near future – apologies for the confusion. If you need to do this again in the near future, you can remove a group member on the web by opening that group’s page, then clicking the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choosing “Edit group settings”.

11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you click on “view full details” under the group balances on the website, you will get a more detailed list of how we think you should settle up with individual settle up buttons like you describe.

We should probably consider showing more options after clicking the general settle up button on the group page.

Marshall

12. create a simple printable summary

I see the detailed summary and the simple group balances view. I wish there were a printable summary of group balances that I could include in an email so that I can explain how much people will pay in an email without taking a screenshot.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I can see how it would be useful to have something to download and share, especially if not everyone is actually logging in to Splitwise. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements.

13. I'd like to be able to add a photo with my comment on a bill

If I over or under pay on a bill, I'd like to be able to add a photo with my comment to provide evidence of the overcharge

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense. Adding photo support for comments isn’t on our roadmap yet, but hopefully it’s something we can include in a future update.

14. add expand icon

add expand icon in place of distance displaying all the expenses for each Friend.
    Means when i select the expand icon then only it should display the detailed expenses for each category like groups and non groups expenses, else just display the simplified form of expense

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! I know the new style of displaying a friend’s balances looks a bit different, but we thought it was pretty important to show the full details – a lot of people were getting confused about their total balances. Hopefully we can keep improving the design in future updates!

15. Ability to capture when someone should replace an item

There is not necessarily a specific cost but sometimes my roommates and I alternate the purchasing of a household item. For example if I buy dishwasher detergent this time my roommate buys it next time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I can see how this would be useful. We might find that this complicates our user interface too much to be worth adding, but I’ll keep this up here so we can see if there’s a lot of interest in this kind of feature.

Marshall

16. Have an easy way to enter multiple payments

I wish there was an easy way to record multiple payments (e.g. everyone in the group pays $500 to Michael)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Notify amount due depending on specified amount

User can select specified amount in there app settings. if any of his/her friend exceeded that amount (owe or lent) they should get notification.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 'Art' category

For expenses

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add office expenses

It'd be nice if there was a built-in way to add the ability to split expenses among office employees, like lunch runs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there – could you give me more details on what you mean? I’m probably misunderstanding your suggestion, but you should already be able to split expenses with co-workers on Splitwise: just add your co-workers as friends (or add them to a group), then add lunch runs and more just like you would any other item on Splitwise. Hope that helps!

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base