Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Only Lent Person should be able to Settle Up from his account

When the bills are settled up, it should be done from the person who lent the money and not from the person who owes the money coz this may lead to fraud settlement

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We built Splitwise with the intention of keeping everyone on the same page with shared expenses, so anyone can add, edit, or record payments. There is a record of all of this kept in Recent Activity, so if there is a dispute, you can always reference the Recent Activity page. You also have the ability to delete the payment even if it was not recorded by you.

2. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

I’m not sure what your request is, but to look at a breakdown of items for which a person owes you, simply tap on their name in your friends list on Splitwise. It should show you details of expenses and balances with them inside and outside of all groups both of you are involved in.

3. Excluding a Group from a User's Summary Expense Calculations

I have the requirement where I have to exclude a group expense from the total summary of a particular user. For example, I have a groups GP1, GP2, GP3 with users UR1 and UR2 and Myself in each of it. When I select user UR1, I find the total amount to owe/owed after a consolidated calculation. Instead of this method, I have to isolate GP2 from all the users when I select them. It should be independent even if I click a particular user. Can you provide some feature like this in the app?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We run into issues where people get confused by how balances add up and adding more complicated features to modify balances on top of that is not something we’ll do. If you want to see balances for each group separately, we do display that in each group. If you have some specific use case, please submit a support ticket with your use case so we can see if there’s some other feature or solution that might work for you.

Marshall

4. paym integration

curious if paym integration is in the works, would remove some friction when paying colleagues. Awesome service!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  5. Chars

The charts need to be broken down to groups. When clicked on the particular category, it can show the other expenses in the group.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Adding an option to have a payee as a bill

Okay so this app requires you to select a person you owe the money too, like a roommate. I thought it would be cool, and I would need this myself, if you could add a lender or a monthly bill like a phone contract/insurance/broadband as a Payee and have it so two people can pay towards it, so you can keep track of the payments you've both made each time. For example, my partner has a catalogue, both of us have bought a computer out of it, so we both owe £400... it's hard to keep track of who's payed…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m not sure what exactly your feature request is. It is already possible to keep track of split expenses such as monthly bills on Splitwise.

Simply enter the name of the bill in the description, such as ‘Broadband bill’ and then you can add as many people as you like amongst whom you’d like to split the bill.

7. please ask user at the end. Like want to add in YES OR NO. Because sometime i entered wrong value and i have to edit again for correction.

Hi Sir,

There is one suggestion from me about android app.
    Please ask user at the end.
    Like want to add in YES OR NO.
    Because sometime i entered wrong value and by mistake i click on check mark from keyboard its going to send notification to all.
    Then i have to edit again for correction.
    Again it will send notification to all.
    So its better to ask first before editing, by showing total amount to user.

Thank you

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there!

Thanks for the suggestion about confirmations! You’ll be happy to know that if you edit an expense within 30 seconds of submitting it, Splitwise will not generate a second notification – instead, only one notification with the correct information will go out. Or, if you delete the expense, no notification will be sent. We add a deliberate 30 second time delay to notifications for this reason, and it has saved me many times.

Since many users use Splitwise frequently, we optimize for speed of data entry, so I’m going to decline your request to put in an additional confirmation step. But I hope this helps address a concern for you and if you have more specific concerns feel free to write support.

Best,
    Jon

8. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  9. Set reminder date

An email to the group is automatically sent out one the 1st of each month. Our rent is due before that. Can there be a group setting to chose which date an email reminder is sent out each month?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We don’t plan to add a setting to change the date of our monthly summary email, but we DO have an option to make bills automatically recur, and to send out a reminder email a few days in advance. The next time you add your rent bill, click on the date, and you should see an option to make the bill automatically repeat every month. If you turn that on, then you should also see an additional option to send a reminder several days in advance. Hope that helps!

10. Put the name of the expense in the venmo description

Venmo integration is great! But I like my Venmo descriptions to have a reference to the actual expense (because it helps me categorize them later). You already prep-populate the Venmo description that lists it as a Splitwise expense, I would just like you to add the name of the expense (ie - electric bill) in that description.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, the Splitwise model doesn’t associate specific expenses with payments. Payments are just an amount that applies to a total balance. There’s not really an automatic way for us to match the two up reliably.

Marshall

11. PayPal payment issue

I have settled payment through PayPal . But transaction fee didn't mention when I did payment. The transaction amount has been debited from my card. When making Payment please show up the split up of bills. Because of this I lost around 6 dollars.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we do not control the fees or the way the interface works when you make a PayPal payment. These are both handled by PayPal and not something we can change. We do have a generic warning about fees on the payment option page, but can’t tell if you’re going to have any or not.

Marshall

12. make a Splitwise for utilities

Certain people prefer to use the AC/heater more often than others, and I was hoping there was a way to somewhat divide the electric bill dependent on who decides to turn it on, while others who prefer not to have it on can pay a smaller portion.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve done some research into this kind of thing, and there’s not one good solution for this kind of thing. The fair option varies a lot by circumstance, so the only good choice is to negotiate this ahead of time with whoever you are moving in with.

Marshall

13. Bring back the old way of entering the cost

The latest iOS update changed the way the cost field works. It used to add digits on as you typed, starting from cents. Now it's more like a standard text field where you put in a decimal point.

It sounds stupid, but this was one of the things I really enjoyed about this app compared with others (Google Wallet, PayPal), and I wished they'd do it your way, but now it's gone here too =(.

Even just a setting to change back would be great (though I get the UI simplification thing and this kinda cuts against that. But I…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble, Andrew! :( I was actually the original proponent for the ATM-style amount field, but the more that we observed it in use, the more issues we found: new users frequently screwed up their first expense, international users often had trouble with it, some 3rd-party keyboards didn’t work well with it, etc. It was a tough decision (especially since all our existing users were already used to the old style), but ultimately I think it’ll help a lot of people.

I don’t think we’re likely to add it as a manual setting, unfortunately, but I’m really sorry for the loss! R.I.P. ATM-style cost field <3

14. Reverse order of expense name and expense amount on mobile

When entering an expense on the mobile app, I often find myself trying to type the amount into the name field. This is because I'm usually at the register, and have the number top of mind. Compared to the name, the amount is harder to remember and easier to forget. It'd be easier to go back and add the name later: I'm more likely to remember that I went to CVS than I am to remember that I spent 17.63 there. It'd be great to have the option to reverse the order of the name and amount fields, at least…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

So sorry for the trouble! We’ve actually done a ton of testing on this, because people tend to have strong instincts one way or another – you’re definitely not the only person to accidentally enter the cost in the description field :) We ultimately found that description, then cost was the most “common” order, so that’s what we’ve gone with. I don’t think we’re likely to add a custom setting for this, but it is still on our list of things to think about – maybe we can come up with some clever improvements in the future.

15. Be owed money but not specify who owes it

In my group, I bought something so the group owes me money, but I don't want to assign amounts to people in the group - I just want to notify everyone that I spent money and would like to be reimbursed (reimbursement would be up to them to figure out)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One of the fundamental philosophies of Splitwise is that you should always be able to add up all the expenses and figure out why you owe what you owe. If we add some kind of nebulous non-owed debt, this stops being true.

Marshall

16. After Payment turn the old bill records to green

I Owe a person in multiple bills, After the payment is done to the respective person. I want the old settled up records to turn green, as they are settled.
    It makes the user pleasant feeling when he/she checks the list is green and settled up so that he need not worry about them.
    I hope this will be a add on feature to "split wise" app.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to add anything to Splitwise that doesn’t convert into other currencies at a generally agreed upon rate. If you owed someone points, there wouldn’t be a simple way to pay them back for it and we couldn’t add suggestions for how many dollars a point is worth.

Marshall

18. Go back to Billmonk model

I dont understand why splitwise has become so popular, It is the most frustrating websharing site I've used. It is incredibly frustrating to have site that is simple and works incredibly well (billmonk) and clearly be bought out by such a frustrating site.

I feel like this site does nothing but frustrate me. Yes it is simple to add bills and it looks very pretty. But all of the is greatly outweighed by how much frustration it causes. It is especially aggregating when I try to find an alternative only to realize you have bought out any other decent site…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! Splitwise is actually completely unrelated to Billmonk (which was bought by BillPin a few years ago). We think Billmonk was really great – I used to use it myself! – but we definitely have different ideas about certain features, and we don’t intend to copy their model.

If you’d like any help with your specific Splitwise account, feel free to email us at support@splitwise.com and we’d be happy to help out with whatever problems you’re having. Again, apologies for the frustration!

19. Better paypal support for android

Overall your mobile app experience on android is pretty good but trying to pay via paypal is pretty horrible. Modal dialogue is so small that I have trouble navigating to enter login info. I eventually gave up and had to switch to Desktop version to finish paying. Would be great to improve this exp.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Really sorry for the trouble! We’d love to improve this experience, but unfortunately we have almost zero control over it – it’s an official library from PayPal, and we don’t really have the power to customize its appearance. Hopefully PayPal will update their code at some point to better support a wide variety of screens, but until then, the desktop version might be your best bet :( Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

20. Privacy Element!

My group of friends, always buys one gift and shares amongst all of us. But, I don't want a specific friend to see an expenses.

Is it possible to add this?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base