I suggest you ...

Add friends without email address or phone number

I know that it might be a user acquisition choice, but it is very annoying to not be able to add someone with just their name (i.e. with no email address or phone, so that they don't receive an invite).
I find that the user experience is affected a lot by this and I am switch back to another app because of this despite how good splitwise is overall.

There are indeed several use cases where I would like to add people without contact details:
- At a specific event, for example a party where I need to enter the names of a lot of people without knowing their email adress
- To track my own personal debts with other people without them knowing or them receiving an invitation.

I did read this article by the way, but I wanted to share the way I think:
http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/206028-why-do-i-have-to-add-friends-in-order-to-use-split

389 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Louis M shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminSplitwise Support (-, Splitwise) responded  · 

Thanks for the detailed feedback – it’s always useful to hear, and I’ll pass it on :)

One small feature you may not be aware of: on our website, Splitwise does allow you to add group members without email addresses, which hopefully helps for the “large party” scenario. My apologies that the same feature isn’t available on our mobile apps!

60 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DaRkWiNG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin: It's been 3 years since you replied to this question but the Splitwise mobile app on iOS still does not support adding people with contact info (email/contact#). While I commend the app itself, which has been designed next to perfect, on the other hand, I would also seek the developers to capture such feedback and roll out these features as enhancements.

• Joven L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just downloaded e app, and it's simple and functional. But I uninstalled it after I couldn't create new records without having to invite a contact to e app. Hope that someday this issue can be resolved. Thanks!

P.S. if anyone else has a good and similar app to recommend, pls let me know! =) Thanks!

• Sarah Churgin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came here to post this request as well. Why is this not a feature already? Everyone has friends who refuse to download the app or are just not tech savvy enough to deal with it. Especially for family trips or large trips where you just need to track but don’t need everyone to be involved. Please add this feature before many of us leave what is otherwise a great platform.

• Mayank Agarwal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of people are not tech-savvy and might not have/want a Splitwise account. Allow a Splitwise user to keep a list of friends without sending invite option. So that the user can track those expenses.

• Sarah Skapik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is a huge pain and forces me to use other group cost-splitting services instead of Splitwise. I understand this feature is available on the web - odd that it's missing on mobile. The mobile app should be just as robust as the web app, if not more so.

• Fábio Cantu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having to add all the info is trully a pain! It would be nice for it to change to a simpler way!!

• Slimnslender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or, I just want to add a debt owed to me for my own personal information. Being able to simply add the individual name and the amount they owe me without inviting them to Splitwise.

• Ben V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bang on! It’s hugely frustrating with large groups. It should be possible to essentially run an”offline” group where you can add custom names and manage the group on behalf of everyone, as I have found some people really don’t get splitwise and it ends up being more of a hindrance than a help when user error get involved.

• Marek Dominik Pavelec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that I can add new members without their addresses on web app. But normally I have only my smartphone with me. And on Android it is not possible.

• Lucas Abdalla Gomide commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I normally use the app with my contacts. Maybe just integrating with the contacts would help out a lot of other users. Thanks.

• Krishna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we add friends without an invitation on a website?
    Just for a small trip with a friends, everyone has to install an app. Bad Deal ! You need to find other ways for marketing.You should make some other strategies for people to download an app rather than iniviting friends for spliting a payment.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base