I suggest you ...

Post a bill only once the posted date for the bill has arrived

When I enter a date for a bill, I want it such that the totals are updated only once the bill date has arrived. Like for example if my friend before posting the bill owed me $0. Now if I post a shared bill for say $50 and I have kept its date as 5 days in the future. I want the app to reflect that my friend owes me $25 5 days in the future, not immediately. Right now, the way the app works is that, it would have reflected that my friend owes me $ 25 right now.

246 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adrian DSouza shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I'd like for this feature as well. Perhaps have a pay date as due now by default. And allow the option to change it. These expenses won't appear on the "settle up" until that date.

• Alex Beaven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely an upcoming bills section would not confuse users. Keep it sort of hidden and colour code it.

• Joseph Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll throw my hat in- I'd like to see this as well. I scheduled a payment out in march, but it shows due today (January). We should at least have the option to turn it on/off.

• Catarina Gonçalves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a better understanding, I'll try to explain my specific situation. My friends and I share a Netflix account, and the monthly payment is done through my account. We established that each one of us would pay a full monthly fee on a rotating basis. So, when it is not my turn, the person assigned to that month must transfer me the amount of the fee. Since we have already a plan stating who pays and when, it would be helpful if I could add the planned transfers but that they would only be included in the balance after the established date.

Thank you for your attention.
        Happy new year for you all! Keep the good work :)

• Joshua Grantom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you should add it to your road map because this is a make or break feature for most people. Rent should not show up before the date it is due.

• dhruv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suppose I put expenses today. And I paid using my credit card(cc). I have to pay the credit card bill after 1.5 months. But the balance calculation will be done in this credit card cycle. Hence I will receive the money from my friends in this cc cycle but I have to pay that in next cycle.

I think it could be something like "due date" and "pay date" or maybe an option. You enable this feature if you want to.

I think it's just a matter of posting the total owed now. And displaying but greying out any future payments due. Wouldn't that be clear?

As it stands now it seems as if I demanding the rent early.

• Rose Bee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this as well. This feature would be especially useful for recurring bills that are not fixed (such as gas and electricity) that have pre-authorized payments out of one person's account. It's more confusing to me if the app tells me I owe someone money for something they haven't paid yet. You should be able to enter the bill as soon as you receive the notification and not have it effect the balance owed until the post date. I use budget software with this feature and it functions similar to a recurring bill- it is shown in the upcoming bill window but doesn't affect the budget until the transaction date. As you already have the upcoming bill window for recurring bills, I don't see how it would be confusing to add one time future bills there as well.

• Sam Gerber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding to the band wagon, this is the first thing I looked for and was disappointed by in this app.

• Tyler Verbais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I.e. In a month we will have to pay X. As is, if you set the date for an expense in the future it reflects on the groups balance right now. So if in a month we have to pay a $200 service charge for whatever, it looks like everyone owes that money right now. Add the ability to set future payments, as well as reoccurring payments starting on a date other than the present day. The reminder time period could be the time period that the balance would become active. (So if you set it to remind you 3 days before the expense, at that time the expense would reflect in the groups' balances.)

• Patrick Lanigan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or just provide an option to "view balance as of <date>". That date could go into the future. It could be a slider or a calendar selection. That would also allow us to look at balances as of a specific date in the past, say "last month's balance".

• Kalyan Addagalla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May be you can display but grey out, as it might confuse me if I entered a bill for a later date or not. I can't wait till 21st to check if I entered my cable bill or not. I would be fine if you grey out, so atleast I know I entered.

• Todd Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the biggest issue with Splitwise right now. I have multiple bills/taxes which are monthly but the first month was a higher amount (due to setup fees or the way that the split is rounded). So I add the first bill for £30 with today's date and then I add a recurring bill for £20 with next month's date. The latter appears immediately and everyone owes me the money. This doesn't make sense and seems to cause a lot more confusion than just having that bill listed on the "upcoming bills" tab until the actual date.

• Kate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe splitting it into two parts "please pay me by" and "bill due by"? But yeah, reoccuring bills are effectively useless to our household when they show up as due right away when it's actually due at the end of the month.

• Lance Rynearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A must, was super excited to use this to reminded us when bills are due, now about to deleted :( when I add a bill that doesn't mean I have already paid it. Want to add then remind us all when due.

• Dion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It confuses me to see I owe money, when the payment has not been made yet. No money has been lent out or taken from anyone's account before the expense. I'd rather use the reminder option to make others aware of the payment before it's due, rather than having it marked in there from the date that I set the expense and it showing up along with grocery expenses the entire time. The default option should be that if the amount is set in the future, you don't owe anything now, but it will pop up when the set date arrives. I support a 'delay until' tick box also so it doesn't count up to your owed amount.

This is a necessary feature especially for recurring expenses, if rent is september 1st, then i dont owe anything until that time. it doesnt make sense for it to show as an obligation 6 weeks ahead of time already.

• Sean McGrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely an important feature for me. As it stands currently, I need to remember the dates on which bills will go out and add them then, so as not to confuse people's balances.

• Ryan Hinshelwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is further complicated by the fact the android app does not actually show the dates on the bill entry - you have to go to edit the bill to see it

← Previous 1

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base