Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Give ability to link my PSEG account to splitwise account

I am account holder of PSEG account in my house and i get billed every month. I have opted for e-bills and i have setup autopay for it. But each month, i have to check the amount and add it to my splitwise group for sharing. I cannot setup a recurring pay in splitwise for this bill like i have done for Verizon internet bill since this bill amount varies a lot.

I need a ability to link my PSEG account or someway so that once my autopay pays the bill, it automatically gets added to my splitwise house group…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback!

We agree that this would be an awesome user experience. Unfortunately, each biller we’d integrate with (PSEG, Verizon, Con Edison, etc) would require us to build a new tech infrastructure. There are over 100 billers in the country and after thinking through the issue a lot, we had to conclude that we shouldn’t spend energy on building these features. We’re a tiny team (3 engineers) with many other priorities.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for using Splitwise!

2. Traveling Friend

Taxes and tips
    It would be very helpful to be able to show the split of the actual taxes and tips paid according to what each participating group member has spent or owes.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a cool idea, but many users opt out of receiving push notifications from us so we couldn’t guarantee that your notification would reach them. Email reminders are more stably deliverable.

Zoe

4. fix the bug which shows wrong people's name when group is created or when a bill is added

When i created a new group and added my friends, they got notifications that the group had been created by some other random friend in their list and not by me. Same was the case when i added a bill using my android mobile, it showed them that bill with someone else rather than me.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Rishabh – could you email us at support@splitwise.com and let us know (a) your account’s email address and (b) the name of one of your friends that was affected by this bug? We’ve heard of the added-to-group problem (and just released a fix), but you’re the first person to report an issue with adding a bill, and more specific information would help us to chase down the problem and fix it more quickly. Thanks!

5. Highlight the edited transactions

Make it easy to identify the edited transactions by giving some good color

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  6. Authorize a large payment or Bill

To add an extra level of authentication or authorization when there is a threshold bill amount or a threshold payment has passed.

This is mainly for payments, when a receiving party hasn't looked for notification for a long time and someone has just reported a payment that may/may not been made, neither the receiver has checked for the receipt of the payment. In this case, for historical reasons, Its good to add a double authentication on a large amount (may be static for all or customized for each user). So that to avoid situation where one can not claim something…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve never been able to add any kind of confirmation to our system without creating many more problems than it solves. While we can see that you want to be able to trust entries, we feel the better solution is better notifications, not restrictive confirmations. We’re planning to roll out a new notifications system in the next month, so hopefully that will mostly solve this issue.

Marshall

7. Buxfer - Translating tags

I used tags extensively in Buxfer to categorize my transactions. However, when importing them to Splitwise they are all dumped into General category which is very annoying.

During import, a list of tags from Buxfer could be presented to the user and the user could decide how to map those tags to Splitwise's notion of categorization.

For example, I've a tag called "rent" in Buxfer. I would map it to Home > Rent in Splitwise.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: our Buxfer importer is no longer available.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! I’ll pass this on at our next team meeting. Right now there aren’t many people importing from Buxfer, so this is probably a lower priority update for us, but I’ll definitely add it to our list of possible improvements.

8. Groups with hidden expenses

Have an option in groups whereby all expenses in the group are only visible to those involved in an expense. I'm specifically thinking of making a group where I can note down presents, and I'd like to call this group "Presents".

In it, I'd keep track of all previous presents - but as the people I share with begin to use Splitwise, they'd also be able to view the expenses for others in the group - which isn't always so good as they may know each other.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

One of the most important features we intend to keep in Splitwise is to allow users to always be able to check the math on any amount that they owe. Hiding expenses in groups would either interfere with this or with some of our other features.

You can create an expense with multiple people outside of a group (just add all the participants in the With: field of the expense). These expenses are only visible to the participants, so will not be seen by the recipient of the gift.

Marshall

9. have an option to hide my personal upcoming/trending bills from the group. I want my personal bills kept private!

I want to be able to track my personal expenses without the entire group being able to see it! I want to schedule my trending/recurring payments and list the amounts, but keep that info private. I don't like how if I list my personal bills in my account it keeps showing up in the group. Keep my private finances private please!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  10. Not show "Settle All Group" entries groups. It just leaves us all confused when we try to reconcile the payments.

If you really need the "Settle All Groups", please make it internal and not visible to the users. It just confuses the heck out of us when we try to reconcile the payments.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you find this confusing, but we think it’s very important to show – otherwise, the list of expenses with a given friend/in a given group would not actually add up to the total balance, which seems much more confusing to us. Still, I’ll mention this at our next team meeting and see if we can think of any ways to reduce confusion.

11. Feedback on settle up

I hope the settle up will be better if it should be updated only by the person who pays the money.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We firmly believe anyone should be able to add and edit expenses they are involved in. We are planning got add better history of changes so you can easily who did what when soon. We also have notifications you can add for your account under account settings to get notified when someone adds a payment to you.

Marshall

12. non-modification of payments / expenses = advance/optional features needed

I understand splitwise's desire to make it "Wiki"-like allow all to make changes/edits. However, it really seems crazy for anyone in a group to be able to delete ALL payments/expenses.

Yes, communal editing can be helpful when incorrect posts are made but this, in my mind, doesn't justify universal access by everyone to make changes. In the event of errors, then the poster should be able to delete or modify them. (I'm sure the poster will be notified of the error if it's identified anyhow)

Conversely, once the payer pays his/her debt, the payer should have an icon (like $…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we don’t have plans to change this policy in the near future. We’ve run a variety of tests on different kinds of permissions – restricting edits and deletions, confirming that a payment has been made, etc – and come to the conclusion that more controls of this kind lead to more overall frustration and problems for a greater number of users.

There’s definitely not one right answer to this, and there are some obvious strengths to a more rigid system of permissions, but based on our observations we’ve decided not to go that way for now. We do hope to keep making improvements that (a) make it more obvious when a bill has changed and (b) make it easier to view and revert changes.

I’m really sorry for the trouble! This has been a hard decision for us, and we’re constantly re-evaluating it, but for now at least our…

13. Payment can apply to multiple groups

My friend and I are in multiple groups together and she makes 1 big payment to me to settle our debts. However, I can only apply the payment to 1 group or no group at all, and that throws off the group balances. Can this be resolved? I've been dividing the payment manually and that is working so far.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We really, really want users to think of groups as separate things, so we aren’t planning to add multi-group support for anything.

That being said, if you are settling up for the exact total amount that you owe, if you do it from the friendship screen (where it shows your overall balance from all groups and expenses), we will split the payment up to settle up all your groups.

Marshall

14. Add bill without myself

Sometimes, I want to add a bill for my friends even though I am not included.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry for the trouble! We don’t allow this in general because we feel it would be potentially invasive. If you want to add expenses without being involved, you will need to create a group and add everyone to it. If you’re in a group, you can add expenses without being involved.

It sounds like you might be in a group use case already if you want this feature. Please email support@splitwise.com if you’d like help getting set up and moving existing expense into a group.

Marshall

15. I am not quite sure if your site has the option to divide unequally shared expenses.

I have designed a code for that. If you would like to add it in the future, I would not mind sharing it. :)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey divz – we actually support splitting expenses in all sorts of ways, including by percent, by shares, by itemizing, and more. You can access all these by logging in to Splitwise, clicking the “Add bill” button, entering the bill’s description and cost, and then clicking where it says “Split equally” to adjust the split. Thanks for your offer! :)

16. Cancelling an Expense Entry

If I have added an expenses. If the bill I entered is split between me and my friend. If my friend removes the entry then only the amount is adjusted. I would suggest that it should notify me first and then ask me if the entry can be deleted. So in short the one who adds the bill is the admin, then the admin must be asked before removing the bill. If this is not done then I do not get to know if any of my friend has eleted an entry.

Also if there are more than 2 people…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Sourabh,

We don’t want to add user permissions to the account. We feel that anyone involved in the bill should be able to fix errors and edit it. We also know this can be problematic in some cases and are planning to do a better job with tracking a history of changes for each bill.

We do have some basic history features on the website (click on the flag in the top bar). We also have notifications you can opt in to for adds, edits and deletes of bills so you can keep track of what’s going on in your account (look in your account settings).

We have had permissions for some things in an earlier version of the app, and found that it was mostly a problem for users instead of a helpful feature.

Marshall

17. Need an excel kind of "Whiteboard"

One of the requirements that we came across is to have a tabular whiteboard, so that the weekend shopping items can be logged in. I feel that it would be better to have a tab for plain text and for a grid layout for whiteboard

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add more factors to the fairness calculators

I think it would be a great idea to add some other factors to fairness calculators in rent. Pets should be an extra charge, helicopter roommates should be an extra charge (you know, those ones who hound you about missing chores once, but miss doing their own all the time), taking over tons of bathroom space should be an extra charge (especially when only 1 is available in the whole house), smoking too close to the house and stinking it up should be an extra charge...etc. How can you calculate those things?!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Those are definitely all valid things to consider, but it’s hard to do with a calculator, and they should generally be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. The cost of a pet can vary widely depending on the type of pet, while the values of chores, bathroom space, and smoking depend a lot on who you’re living with, and should probably be discussed as a group. (Another request we hear often is parking, which has very different values depending on where you live.) Sorry we can’t be of more help!

19. Simplify debts giving expense details

Currently the simply debts does not clearly state what Math took place behind the scenes. It simply reports a transaction "Simplify debts". It would be helpful to display that in the "Notes" section of a transaction.

If X owes Y 10, Y owes Z 10 and Z owes X 10, in a simplify debts among these three users, the amounts that each user owed each other must be added to the notes section. Currently today it would report something like "X paid Z 10", Y paid Z 10, Z paid X 10, which is not totally accurate as a transaction…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve debated this issue a lot, and the reason we don’t save complete details in the notes of a debt shuffle is because of privacy concerns. Say you’re person X in your scenario – we feel pretty strongly that you shouldn’t be able to see the details of a transaction between Y and Z that doesn’t involve you. Neither of those people has given you permission to see their financial info, and to include full details about the shuffle would reveal that Y owes Z (or vice versa).

It’s definitely an annoying problem – it makes simplify debts a “black box”, where you can’t see all the transactions involved – but we think that’s better than the potential privacy concerns of exposing people’s information. That’s also why simplify debts is considered an “Advanced feature”, and is not intended for most users.

20. control locks so that people should not delete expense without anybody elses knowledge

Keep a track of changes done and send an email to all related people about the change in expense like delete or edit !!!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t currently plan to add permissions for editing/deleting bills, but you can turn on email notifications in your user settings to be notified whenever a bill is updated. Additionally, you can view a record of recent activity in your account at any time by clicking the flag icon in the middle of the top of the screen. (It turns orange when there have been changes in your account since your last visit.)

http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base