Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. allow shift workers to use simplify debt feature to simply complex shift trades

I work a shift work job and my co workers and I are always trading shifts back and forth, over the months we lose track of who owes who a shift. If we could log them all into an app that had a simplify debt feature we could tap into "shifts owed" much easier.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thanks for the suggestion! It’s very hard to correctly solve the problem of splitting things that have a currency value and we don’t plan to add anything non-currency as it causes a number of problems in our interface and design. If you want to track shifts like this, I would recommend adding a group and agreeing to use some unusual currency for “expenses” in that group. Then just keep in mind that 1 of that currency means one shift.

This will cause some weird behaviors in the app, but shouldn’t be too bad.

Marshall

2. please ask user at the end. Like want to add in YES OR NO. Because sometime i entered wrong value and i have to edit again for correction.

Hi Sir,

There is one suggestion from me about android app.
    Please ask user at the end.
    Like want to add in YES OR NO.
    Because sometime i entered wrong value and by mistake i click on check mark from keyboard its going to send notification to all.
    Then i have to edit again for correction.
    Again it will send notification to all.
    So its better to ask first before editing, by showing total amount to user.

Thank you

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there!

Thanks for the suggestion about confirmations! You’ll be happy to know that if you edit an expense within 30 seconds of submitting it, Splitwise will not generate a second notification – instead, only one notification with the correct information will go out. Or, if you delete the expense, no notification will be sent. We add a deliberate 30 second time delay to notifications for this reason, and it has saved me many times.

Since many users use Splitwise frequently, we optimize for speed of data entry, so I’m going to decline your request to put in an additional confirmation step. But I hope this helps address a concern for you and if you have more specific concerns feel free to write support.

Best,
    Jon

3. Need approval of spender during settlement.

it should need approval from the spender/lender while settling an expense. otherwise, for a huge group comprising of large number of transactions, it's hard to track/validate when some got settled and whether it's authentic.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

You can always edit the payment at a later date to add notes that it is confirmed or add comments to the payment to say that you have confirmed it.

Marshall

4. Allow non-monetary debts or IOUs, for example Dinner for Mike; Massage for Carly; Dog walk for Jake

Many groups who use Splitwise are trading in non-monetary favors, gifts, mutual support, and barter. It would be very helpful for my collective house, my friendships, my colleagues, and my romantic relationships if I could track, privately or publicly, when I wanted to return a favor, ask for a favor, or otherwise ensure support was exchanged mutually and reciprocally. Splitwise could be that system, would be my choice for such a system.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do not plan to add tracking for anything that is not generally considered to be a currency. We’ve seen some other apps in our space add these kinds of features and it turns out to just be a different sort of problem than splitting money. I’m happy you like our app and keeping it awesome means staying focused.

Marshall

5. Allow the owner(the person who has paid the amount) to approve/decline the settlement given by others

Now the application allows anyone in the group to edit the amount, settle the amount even though they haven't paid. There should be an option for the owner who enters bill to approve or decline the changes made by other members, for example, if someone chooses amount settled then the owner has to get an option to approve or decline it. And if other members edit the amount paid , owner should get a notification to approve or decline it. So the person who has paid the amount will have a control over managing expenses.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

You can also get notifications through email or push notifications for expenses being added, deleted or edited.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

6. Set reminder date

An email to the group is automatically sent out one the 1st of each month. Our rent is due before that. Can there be a group setting to chose which date an email reminder is sent out each month?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey there! We don’t plan to add a setting to change the date of our monthly summary email, but we DO have an option to make bills automatically recur, and to send out a reminder email a few days in advance. The next time you add your rent bill, click on the date, and you should see an option to make the bill automatically repeat every month. If you turn that on, then you should also see an additional option to send a reminder several days in advance. Hope that helps!

7. Optimize app speed

In the past the app was lightning quick. After several updates with recent big UI changes everything is less responsive and more sluggish (at least for my 5S and my wife's 5). It can be very annoying to wait few seconds for new expense window to appear or to see how app reacts to touch with 1-2 seconds delay.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are planning to do this. I’m declining it only because there’s not a specific thing that we can check off here. “App should be faster” doesn’t give us a good guide on when we’ve completed the task, even though that’s what you want. We’re aware the current version is sluggish on some transitions.

Marshall

8. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  9. Have number as first field, not description

I often times have a number in my head that I'm trying to remember so I'd rather have this field highlight first when I enter an expense. Then description. Otherwise I switch in a panic trying to remember the number ha I have a bad memory

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! We actually tested this out a lot the last time we redesigned our apps – you’re definitely not the only person who wants to enter the cost first, but we found that most people do want to enter a description before they enter a cost. I don’t think we’re likely to switch the order at this point, as it would probably throw off a lot of our old users. My apologies for the inconvenience!

10. group admin

I share expenses with some friends. We divided the big group in some subgroups (for example "dinner out", "gifts" etc) because not all the people participate in all expenses.
    I usually check that everything in right.
    Now i would like to quit a group.
    Is there a possibility that i can still view expenses and modify if needed even if i'm not involved?
    thank you

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

No, sorry. Group administration is a tough feature to build a good experience around and a simple permission system (members of the group can view and delete expenses) is the best way we’ve found to handle things.

Best,
    Jon

11. make a Splitwise for utilities

Certain people prefer to use the AC/heater more often than others, and I was hoping there was a way to somewhat divide the electric bill dependent on who decides to turn it on, while others who prefer not to have it on can pay a smaller portion.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve done some research into this kind of thing, and there’s not one good solution for this kind of thing. The fair option varies a lot by circumstance, so the only good choice is to negotiate this ahead of time with whoever you are moving in with.

Marshall

12. Put the name of the expense in the venmo description

Venmo integration is great! But I like my Venmo descriptions to have a reference to the actual expense (because it helps me categorize them later). You already prep-populate the Venmo description that lists it as a Splitwise expense, I would just like you to add the name of the expense (ie - electric bill) in that description.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, the Splitwise model doesn’t associate specific expenses with payments. Payments are just an amount that applies to a total balance. There’s not really an automatic way for us to match the two up reliably.

Marshall

13. IOUs to people with out email or phone number

Whilst I understand the rationale of entering email ID / phone number for your friend on splitwise, there are cases where you meet a bunch of friends + one random person. In this case, I am sure to onboard all my friends to splitwise, however because I can't add a person (that I barely know) without email ID, I cannot spit the bill easily. I now need to calculate the bill outside splitwise and create entries per splitwise contact

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request. We used to support this, but found that is caused a lot more problems than it solved. If you really need to do this, you can add a friend as anything@example.com and it will let you create a dummy account (any prefix at the @example.com suffix will create an account without a real email address).

Marshall

14. Household items/toiletries/cleaners expense and food share.

When one of the roommates purchases food or common household items like cleaners or paper towels or is constantly the one replacing these type of items; it would be nice to see a way to calculate their usage in order to properly pay for the necessities. I don't see that one person should be responsible for always buying these if they aren't the only one to use them. I had an issue a while back with a roommate not buying toilet paper because she said that she rarely was home and didn't think she used enough to really supply the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We have a couple of ideas similar to this, but it sounds like the fundamental issue is your roommate disagreeing about usage. It doesn’t seem like asking them to track usage is going to be very successful. If you get them to agree to a fair share ahead of time, we have the ability to split by percent and shares, which should work in that case.

Marshall

15. Settle up should have Accept or Reject

If someone settles up. It should allow you to accept before the payment is recorded as settled.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – we’ve tried this approach in the past and found it didn’t work well. If you’d like to reject a payment by someone else, we’ve found it’s just as easy to delete it.

Best,
    Jon

16. Reverse order of expense name and expense amount on mobile

When entering an expense on the mobile app, I often find myself trying to type the amount into the name field. This is because I'm usually at the register, and have the number top of mind. Compared to the name, the amount is harder to remember and easier to forget. It'd be easier to go back and add the name later: I'm more likely to remember that I went to CVS than I am to remember that I spent 17.63 there. It'd be great to have the option to reverse the order of the name and amount fields, at least…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! We’ve actually done a ton of testing on this, because people tend to have strong instincts one way or another – you’re definitely not the only person to accidentally enter the cost in the description field :) We ultimately found that description, then cost was the most “common” order, so that’s what we’ve gone with. I don’t think we’re likely to add a custom setting for this, but it is still on our list of things to think about – maybe we can come up with some clever improvements in the future.

17. PayPal payment issue

I have settled payment through PayPal . But transaction fee didn't mention when I did payment. The transaction amount has been debited from my card. When making Payment please show up the split up of bills. Because of this I lost around 6 dollars.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we do not control the fees or the way the interface works when you make a PayPal payment. These are both handled by PayPal and not something we can change. We do have a generic warning about fees on the payment option page, but can’t tell if you’re going to have any or not.

Marshall

18. Be owed money but not specify who owes it

In my group, I bought something so the group owes me money, but I don't want to assign amounts to people in the group - I just want to notify everyone that I spent money and would like to be reimbursed (reimbursement would be up to them to figure out)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

One of the fundamental philosophies of Splitwise is that you should always be able to add up all the expenses and figure out why you owe what you owe. If we add some kind of nebulous non-owed debt, this stops being true.

Marshall

19. After Payment turn the old bill records to green

I Owe a person in multiple bills, After the payment is done to the respective person. I want the old settled up records to turn green, as they are settled.
    It makes the user pleasant feeling when he/she checks the list is green and settled up so that he need not worry about them.
    I hope this will be a add on feature to "split wise" app.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  20. Not all photos are receipt

We use Splitwise to split home-made food costs. And we like to attach a photo of the dish to remember how tasty it was.

But when I see a bill, it has the title Receipt above the picture.

I suggest to change that title for a generic one.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! While you are more than welcome to attach whatever photo you want, we want to use the word receipt to suggest what we think the feature is for. I think no one is confused when they see a delicious plate of food under the label receipt.

Marshall

1 2 6 8 10 18 19

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base