Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Keep track of personal expenses while in the group

When I am on a road trip with friends I may log expenses for myself to see the total cost of the trip (or my share). Even though app allows to do that, people freak out when see such transactions in their summary (with a total cost 0.00 for other group participants). It would be nice if such expenses do not show up in printable summary for the participant that are not involved, or hide those "you paid for yourself" transactions for other members of the group.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to add a feature like this – we generally like for all group members to be able to see all bills, even the ones they’re not involved in, because it often helps people to find and catch mistakes. For now, you may want to create a separate group for your personal expenses and save items there, which should still allow you to keep track of your totals (though you’ll still have to add those totals to the main group’s totals in order to get a picture of all total spending).

2. Payment Reminder

You could add option for monthly payment reminder regarding outstanding amount .

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to add anything to Splitwise that doesn’t convert into other currencies at a generally agreed upon rate. If you owed someone points, there wouldn’t be a simple way to pay them back for it and we couldn’t add suggestions for how many dollars a point is worth.

Marshall

4. Backup

Provide an option to create a backup of all entries of all friends and groups at one click in spreadsheet form.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We don’t plan to bring a more comprehensive CSV export for Splitwise. If you’re looking for a total backup of your account, Splitwise Pro (in your web account settings) has an option to download a complete copy of your data from Splitwise.

5. debt simplification on mobile app

I quite liked the Debt Simplification feature on the web app. Why can't we have a similar feature on the mobile app?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We support debt simplification for groups in our mobile apps (it’s under “Group settings”), but we don’t plan to add more advanced debt simplification features to mobile right now. We’ve found that more advanced versions of “simplify debt” cause a lot of confusion for most people, and that those simplifications are often really difficult to follow, especially when you’re not the one who added the simplification in the first place. Sorry for the trouble!

6. The new UI is so Android style (ugly)

The old UI was very clean and nice. Is it possible to revert back?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you don’t like the changes! We’re unlikely to undo any of the major design changes that we made in the latest update, but if there are particular details you dislike, or if you have any specific feedback, we’d definitely love to hear it. Again, apologies for the trouble!

7. Bring back the old way of entering the cost

The latest iOS update changed the way the cost field works. It used to add digits on as you typed, starting from cents. Now it's more like a standard text field where you put in a decimal point.

It sounds stupid, but this was one of the things I really enjoyed about this app compared with others (Google Wallet, PayPal), and I wished they'd do it your way, but now it's gone here too =(.

Even just a setting to change back would be great (though I get the UI simplification thing and this kinda cuts against that. But I…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

So sorry for the trouble, Andrew! :( I was actually the original proponent for the ATM-style amount field, but the more that we observed it in use, the more issues we found: new users frequently screwed up their first expense, international users often had trouble with it, some 3rd-party keyboards didn’t work well with it, etc. It was a tough decision (especially since all our existing users were already used to the old style), but ultimately I think it’ll help a lot of people.

I don’t think we’re likely to add it as a manual setting, unfortunately, but I’m really sorry for the loss! R.I.P. ATM-style cost field <3

8. Go back to Billmonk model

I dont understand why splitwise has become so popular, It is the most frustrating websharing site I've used. It is incredibly frustrating to have site that is simple and works incredibly well (billmonk) and clearly be bought out by such a frustrating site.

I feel like this site does nothing but frustrate me. Yes it is simple to add bills and it looks very pretty. But all of the is greatly outweighed by how much frustration it causes. It is especially aggregating when I try to find an alternative only to realize you have bought out any other decent site…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

So sorry for the trouble! Splitwise is actually completely unrelated to Billmonk (which was bought by BillPin a few years ago). We think Billmonk was really great – I used to use it myself! – but we definitely have different ideas about certain features, and we don’t intend to copy their model.

If you’d like any help with your specific Splitwise account, feel free to email us at support@splitwise.com and we’d be happy to help out with whatever problems you’re having. Again, apologies for the frustration!

9. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

10. Edit Simplify Debt partners

Lets say in a group, X owes me 200$ , Y owes me 200$ and I owe 200$ to Z. The total i get back is 200$. Lets say simplify debts considering several other transactions shows that X should pay 200$ to me. But i'd prefer taking it from Y as we are close friends and im not comfortable dealing with X. My suggestion is to Allow me to choose who pays me and likewise everyone does and overall the comfort of the transactions increases.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We don’t currently plan to add an actual feature for this, but “simplify debts” is smart enough to adjust if you decide to pay someone different. For example, if Splitwise says you should pay person X but you decide to pay person Y instead, then your group’s debts will automatically be recalculated and adjusted to include your new payment. Hope that helps!

11. Better paypal support for android

Overall your mobile app experience on android is pretty good but trying to pay via paypal is pretty horrible. Modal dialogue is so small that I have trouble navigating to enter login info. I eventually gave up and had to switch to Desktop version to finish paying. Would be great to improve this exp.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Really sorry for the trouble! We’d love to improve this experience, but unfortunately we have almost zero control over it – it’s an official library from PayPal, and we don’t really have the power to customize its appearance. Hopefully PayPal will update their code at some point to better support a wide variety of screens, but until then, the desktop version might be your best bet :( Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

12. Privacy Element!

My group of friends, always buys one gift and shares amongst all of us. But, I don't want a specific friend to see an expenses.

Is it possible to add this?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  13. Have certain groups within groups

We went on a trip from different parts of India and 2 to 3 people were from same state. They want to get it settled combined from their side to other people on the trip and want a separate internal expense list so that they could settle it within their group. I would recommend you to add this feature for more functionality.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the interesting idea, but groups are confusing enough so I can’t see us ever doing this. But I understand the use case and we’ll continue to think about how to handle that case simply or elegantly.

14. Be able to send reminders about a single bill

I'm able to send email reminders about expenses within a group.

But, if I add an individual bill split between people, I'm not able to find an option to send a reminder. Neither can I send a reminder to a person on the consolidated amount he/she owes me across multiple groups and/or bills.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Sorry, I think you just haven’t found the place for it. Click on the “settings” gear on the friend page, and then hit “send reminder” from the list of buttons on the right hand side. It’s a bit hidden (sorry) but it’s there.

Best,
    Jon

15. Opt out of a group

in some groups i dont participate and still i am in that group. add option to leave a group. unnecessarily i seeany expenses carried out in thaat group which i dint care aboit

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for any confusion. You can remove yourself from a group once your balance is 0 within the group. If you were added to any expenses in error, you can remove yourself from them by editing the bill.

Best,
    Jon

16. Able to access images without authentcation

[[ Bug ]]

When I attach an image to a transaction, a unique link is generated for it. People with this link should not be able to view it. Authentication is required.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! This is actually intentional – we think there are situations in which people might want to share links to receipts or attachments with people who are not logged in to Splitwise. URLs for uploads are randomly generated, so it shouldn’t be possible for someone to guess a URL or find your image by accident.

17. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’ve tried this in the past and found that it add significantly more stress and confusion in general because most people do not want to verify payments. So you wind up with most people just having a pile of “unverified” payments stressing them out.

Marshall

18. To simplify your UI

We will be quitting splitwise for a more simpler UI (eg: billpin, etc). I would suggest you find ways to make it less confusing.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. User Interface

Make the user interface more catchy.

The mobile and Web app are great! Perfect. Also, suggest this app should be made for BlackBerry Users.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We definitely want to keep improving our user interface, but I’m closing this suggestion for now because it’s not very specific. If you have any particular thoughts on how we should improve Splitwise, let me know and I’d be happy to pass them on!

Unfortunately, we also don’t have any plans to make a BlackBerry app right now – we’re a very small company (just two engineers), so web, iPhone, and Android is about as much as we can handle. However, if you know any BlackBerry developers, they’d be welcome to build their own Splitwise app using our public API: http://dev.splitwise.com. Sorry for the inconvenience!

20. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to add itemized bill splitting to our mobile apps in the near future. Itemized bills aren’t a very frequently used feature on our website, and we haven’t found a good design yet for itemized splits on mobile. (Itemized bills usually require a large amount of typing and lots of checkboxes, and neither of those two things works very well on a smartphone screen.) I’m very sorry for the trouble!

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base