General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please consider group balance also while showing a friend in positive,negative or settled up section on dashboard

In the group,a person owes to entire group and not to individual, what happens is that if other person(friend) owes me $X from a group and nothing individually i.e. $0 (no individual bill yet) then Splitwise shows that friend under settled up section instead of positive balance section because he owes me $x from group.But currently, untill I post a bill against him individually outside a group he remains in settled up section even if in group he owes some amount $X to me. So ideally my friend should under positive balance section to show that he owes me.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • When you log in, can you make the dashboard the default page?

Right now it goes to one of my "friends" page.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve now added the option to let your dashboard be your dashboard page! To do this go into your account settings on the web and select “dashboard” under the “Your home page” setting.

• Could you make it so that I can choose what sort of notification noise I receive?

At present, I'm only able to select whether or not I get notifications and not the type of sound or whether or not it vibrates. I'd like to still receive notifications on my phone but be able to choose a silent option so that I'm not disturbed late at night or early in the morning should someone make an entry at those times. Thanks!

19 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Update email notification

I have subscribed to Email notifications for changes made to expenses.
          When my friend updates an expense, I get a email notification like "Car wash: $12.95' updated by Jack Maynes. A friend just updated ‘car wash’ in the shared tab ‘Toyota Camry’." The problem is that I do not know the transaction details before he updated it. Once he updates the transaction, I have no way of finding out what the value of the transaction was before he updated it.
          For example, if he updates the Car Wash from $22.95 to $12.95, you message only informs me of the new…

18 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Reallocate payments upon settling up to minimize transfers between group members

While i love splitwise, when a group is large, the total number of payments needed to settle up becomes unmanageable. We had 13 people in the group and settling up required each person to make payment to or get payment from the other 12 people, resulting in 144 total transfers. In some cases, the amount was less than $1. Instead, if Person A owes Person B and Person B owes Person C, Splitwise should have Person A pay Person C directly as opposed to having two separate payments. This would make the app exponentially better!

17 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

So sorry for the trouble – we actually do this already! If you go into your group’s settings and turn on the “simplify debts” option, we’ll automatically reallocate payments to reduce the total number of payments necessary. Hope that helps!

• Person wise History

I Maintain a similar system on Microsoft Excel, and one feature that I really like in maintaining on excel is it gives me a history of all expenses one person has made.

As of now, splitwise does not give person wise expense history. I would like to see a person wise split, which would show each persons split of the expense and a total sum of the month.

Also the pdf monthly report is faulty, needs to be fixed.

The Graphs are refreshed every month, there should be a menu to select the month for the graphical expense display.

17 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added a number of ways to look at person-to-person history since this suggestion was originally posted – export to spreadsheet, printable monthly summaries, etc – so I’m going to mark this as completed. If you’re still looking for different ways to look at your history, please start a new forum post and let us know what you’re looking for. We’re always curious to hear new suggestions!

• Total expenses in a month.

It would be more helpful to us if you provide a feature to display total amount spent in a group. Then we will come to know how much we are spending per month.

16 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Archive debts

The option to archive (instead of deleting) a debt/group would reduce clutter and make Splitwise much more usable, while still allowing us to still keep track of outstanding debts.

Thanks for considering this!

16 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now hide groups/friends that have been settled up for more than 40 days on all three platforms. We also hide older expenses behind a click whenever a group or friendship has completely settled up.

Marshall

• Add hotel option.

I use this service for group travel expenses. It'd be nice to have a specific category for hotel expenses.

15 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Custom settle up

Your application is great and we are using it in group of friends. But the one thing that is extremly needed on mobile is custom settle up as it is in web browser. It should allow to change the person who paid the payment and the person who received it with possibility to set ammount in any currency.
                      To simulate this we have to add fake expence that will state that somebody give money to other person and later convert it on web app.

15 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now available on all three platforms! Groups now have custom settle up from the page for each group. For custom friend only settle up on mobile, you need to go tot he non-group expenses entry from the groups list and click settle up from there.

Marshall

• Add a chat window

Add a wall or chat window, so people in the group can make comments or pose questions. e.g. "Is that everyone?" "Why was the beer so much?"

15 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have added comments on expenses and an activity feed where you can see recent comments and changes. Try it out and let us know if you need any additional chat features.

Marshall

• Save $ value, bill name, etc. when adding more people to the bill

Currently, the "Divide a bill" window is laid out with the amount and name of the bill at the top. One fills them in, then gets to the part where you can add people to the bill. If you do so, the amount and name are lost. Obviously, it should save those.

14 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Send email notifications only when I'm involved in them

I've enabled the option to send emails when new bills are added, but now I get an email every time someone in the group adds a bill, even though Splitwise itself knows that I'm not involved in the bill. Please change this, or at least provide an option to avoid these mails.

14 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • create an icon for gifts and an icon for laundry/dry cleaning (hanger)

We love your site/app and these icons would make it even better!

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • calculate individual's monthly(user defined) expense.

The current application shows only how much a person owes/owed. It would be better if one can tract his complete monthly expense. If you need extra help, you can contact me. I am a software engineer and I would be glad to help you.

13 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I might be misunderstanding your request, but are you looking for monthly summaries/charts? If so, try clicking the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand sidebar, which will give you a quick summary of spending for the month. Click on “View full charts” to see a breakdown by category of how money has been spent. If you use groups, you can also click the “View printable summary” link at the top of each month. Hope that helps!

• Limit or track past edits

One thing that I have been meaning to suggest is to track latest edits somewhere. Currently, anybody in a group is able to go back to several months before and add expenses. It can be difficult to find where the change was made, and if a person is dishonest about it, it can be very difficult to pinpoint exactly where things went wrong. We discovered this problem in our apartment quite early on, and made rules about it, and thankfully none of us are dishonest :)
                                  But I was thinking that it might be beneficial/helpful to either limit how far…

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

There is now a recent activity feed and more notifications you can get that will show you changes in your accounts. Expenses also get detailed notes on changes when they are updated so you can be sure you know what’s different.

Marshall

• Simplify debts for people not in groups

we love this site and the relates applications both in iOS and android. But what i feel missing is a simpler way shuffle debts between friends that are not in a single group. The simplify debts feature between a group s good and understandable that people know each other, but for expenses that were not added to a group can not be shuffled. Please add a feature where you can shuffle amounts between a group of people.

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We actually have a “simplify debts” feature that lets you do a one-time shuffle with friends – it’s on the user settings page under “Advanced features”. We consider it a power-user feature (since it changes people’s balances in a way that can be more difficult to understand than within-group debt simplification), so we don’t encourage most people to use it, but it’s available if you want it!

• Add an option to filter out expenses/payments by user

It would be a nice feature to allow viewing only expenses and payments related to any particular user if required

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added this feature in the web redesign! Click “other actions”, then “hide items not involving me” to see only the transactions that involve you.

(We haven’t decided yet whether to allow you to see only the expenses that involve some /other/ user besides yourself. If that’s a feature you’d like to see, let us know!)

• Print Expense Statements/Reports

I think a really great feature would be the ability to print statements or reports. For example in my case I manage expenses for our whole house. A couple of people in my house are not necessarily tech savvy and some of them just are too lazy to log on to splitwise. If I could print out a report for the week, month, or year, kind of like an invoice sort of thing and just stick it on their door it would be really helpful. I also think this would be great for backing up information because lets face it.…

11 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Specify items on expenses

Hello, I have been using this amazing tool for almost a year, and I've got some suggestions that might be useful:

1 - Be able to specify which items where in the expense for more clarity, and also optionally the expense group for the items, for expenses with items that belongs to different groups.

2 - The user should be able to create customized expense groups.

3 - I use SW with a friend, but not every expense is shared, so we give eachother the receipts so we can remove what we don't want to go to the site as…

11 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m not sure we did these all in the way you requests, but we do have features that solve this in the app.

1. You can add itemized expenses, though only from the web (we are unlikely to bring this to mobile)

2. You can create groups, though I’m not sure this solves things that way that you want.

3. You can now comment on expenses, so disputes can be resolved in the expense itself.

Marshall

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base