General

1. Keep track of debt w/o inviting friend

I'd like the ability to keep track of debts without inviting the other person. Examples of this would be me borrowing money from say my grandparents (who don't even have a computer). This would be useful as I could then have a broad overview of both money owed to me and money I owe on my dashboard and I'd be able to have a "record" of payments.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Barrett – we do allow this in groups, but we’ve decided not to allow it in friendships. Friend invites are a core part of how we grow as a site, so for better or for worse an email address is required. Sorry! Thanks for the suggestion, and let us know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions.

2. Deleting past settled expenses

Add a feature to allow users to delete past settled accounts without affecting the accounts of the other users involved in the transaction

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

4. Pay directly in-app

Integrate with PayPal or Apple pay

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, PayPal has not allowed us to offer our PayPal integration on mobile outside of the US. You can use PayPal with Splitwise from our website outside the US.

Apple pay doesn’t really support peer-to-peer payments at the moment, so it’s not something we can add to our app.

We are always looking at other payment providers.

Marshall

5. Only group admin/creator can add or remove people from the group.

Only group admin/creator can add or remove people from the group.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have gotten a few of these requests in the past, but currently we have the mindset that people in a group trust each other enough to not abuse the system. We do have the history tab for the groups, so everyone can see anything that’s been done in the group activity wise.

Currently group members can’t be removed from the group unless they have a zero balance.

6. Have certain groups within groups

We went on a trip from different parts of India and 2 to 3 people were from same state. They want to get it settled combined from their side to other people on the trip and want a separate internal expense list so that they could settle it within their group. I would recommend you to add this feature for more functionality.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the interesting idea, but groups are confusing enough so I can’t see us ever doing this. But I understand the use case and we’ll continue to think about how to handle that case simply or elegantly.

7. Subgroups

Can you implement something like subgroups? Suppose we have a flatmates group but want to maintain a history of what all was spent in a particular trip. That will be convenient in a bigger scenario where we have many office colleagues in a group but went on a trip with only few of them. If we want to add multiple bills, this will be convenient.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we think this would overcomplicate Splitwise, and we’re not likely to add it in the near future.

For any specific applications such as trips, if you have a subset/different set of people from an existing group, our current recommendation is to create a separate group. Your total balances will each friend will reflect the combined totals from both groups.

8. Add Objects

I started planning to build a startup until I saw your app. So, I guess thanks for being really awesome before me!

I'm about to graduate college and I'm realizing that I'm missing many of my things (I loan a lot out). Now, I'm about to not see people for a long time and will probably lose many books. Being able to keep track of some of my objects that I loan out in the same place as my monetary transactions would be coolio.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Andrew – glad we could help! :) Unfortunately, we probably won’t be adding object-tracking to Splitwise. We’ve thought about it before, and previously we decided that it would complicate the interface too much. We’d rather have Splitwise handle just one thing (money) and handle it super-well.

Hope that makes sense – sorry!

9. create a way to settle expenses between specific members of a group

I think it would be great if you could create a way to settle expenses between certain people in a group, not everybody in a group. That was something we had when we used Billmonk - you could choose who to settle the bills with. For example, suppose that person A owes person B, and C owes A. When person C needs to settle with A, they end up needing to pay back person B. In the current group set-up, if person B doesn't really know or have contact with person C, it makes it more complicated to facilitate payment.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Song-My – it sounds like you’re using a group with “debt simplification” turned on. If you turn simplified debts off, the group should function just the way you’re describing (e.g. if A owes B and C owes A, that will NOT be simplified down to “C owes B”).

You can turn off simplified debts from the web by clicking “More details” next to your balance summary to bring up the details for your full group. Then click the “Simplify debt?” toggle in the upper-right to turn off auto-simplification.

And if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion and you’d actually like a different feature, let us know! :)

10. intergate with dropbox or gdrive as backup

Provide a option where we can sign in with out dropbox/gdrive login password account and export the data to dropbox account.

Just just gives a option data backup, incase some thing goes wrong.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Building a Dropbox or Google Drive integration isn’t in our plans right now – we take care to backup our own servers, and we already allow you to download basic backups in .csv format from the website. We’d much rather focus on improving core features.

And don’t worry: if Splitwise ever shuts down, we’ll notify all our users and give ample time for you to export your information :)

11. There is no way to clear whole account.

Let say our group want to delete old expenses. They don't even want it to see in activities then every time we need to do the delete account. May be you can provide a clear all button.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for asking, but I’m going to have to decline your request.

If you want to delete a group, that will delete the associated expenses and you can start over. But if you want to clear your whole account including recent activity, you should probably delete your account from the user settings page and start over with a new account at the same email address.

The reason why I’m declining is that “fully clearing” an account including recent activity violates the Splitwise principle of group transparency / undo-ability (we aspire to be like Wikipedia in this way). What if someone cleared everything permanently by accident and completely destroyed your record of what happened? We can’t allow that to happen because everyone is entitled to a list of who did what, even if that is deletion.

I hope this work-around helps, and I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. There…

12. have a app that splits up typical house chores evenly!

You should have a section of your site dedicated to splitting up typical chores between housemates!!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: We’ve decided dealing with more than just money will add too much clutter and confusion to our app, so will probably not do this.

This is a really neat idea, though I’m not sure how one would be able to put an actual money amount on different chores globally. Chores have different values for people depending on how much they like/hate that task.

We’ve talked about this in the past, and it may be something we decide we’d like to peruse in the future.

13. Plates: Allow user to enter absolute tip amount

Currently we can add 0% or 10-25% billing amount as tip.
    Allow tip amount to be entered by user (calculate and show % on basis of that)

This is because when we are in restaurant we prefer rounding up total amount e.g. if total amount to pay is $17.35 we pay @20 but plates app allow us to log it as either $19.95 or $20.13

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Settling bills with multi group friends

When settling bills with a friend who is in multiple group, if exact amount is paid, the payment is divided and both the groups are settled. But if the amount paid is not exact, there should be some mechanism to settle the groups.
    Suggestion
    After paying a certain amount , the group with maximum due amount should be settled first followed by group with next highest due and so on.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

I think I understand the suggestion, and thanks for your thoughts, but this solution would be very to build and even more complex to explain/design a UI for.

Settle All Balances is already very confusing even when a payment cancels everything exactly, so we’re not likely to double down on this approach. I apologize but I’m going to decline your request.

As a good work-around for now, I recommend you manually record one payment as two separate payments if you have strong preferences about how a partial payment should be allocated across groups.

Best,
    Jon

15. Groups with hidden expenses

Have an option in groups whereby all expenses in the group are only visible to those involved in an expense. I'm specifically thinking of making a group where I can note down presents, and I'd like to call this group "Presents".

In it, I'd keep track of all previous presents - but as the people I share with begin to use Splitwise, they'd also be able to view the expenses for others in the group - which isn't always so good as they may know each other.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

One of the most important features we intend to keep in Splitwise is to allow users to always be able to check the math on any amount that they owe. Hiding expenses in groups would either interfere with this or with some of our other features.

You can create an expense with multiple people outside of a group (just add all the participants in the With: field of the expense). These expenses are only visible to the participants, so will not be seen by the recipient of the gift.

Marshall

16. Order groups by most recent expense time

I want to have my most recently active group to appear on top in the groups tab on Android

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Keeping groups in a stable position allows users to develop muscle memory. We think it would be confusing if users had to visually scan for the group they want each time they view the GROUPS tab. I hear your argument but it’s just a trade off we’ve made in the other direction. Sorry for any bother! Cheers.

17. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you so much! I’m glad you like the app. I’m declining this because there’s not a specific thing to fix here – I’m not sure how to know if we have enough bunnies :)

Marshall

18. Bug Report - Edit Expense

After editing a saved expense,

1) If I make a change to the amount, the "who owes who" section defaults to splitting equally.

For e.g. If the previous split was "a owes b fully", after editing the amount it becomes of the format "split equally"

2) If I make a change to the description, the icon defaults to the one automatically selected by Splitwise based on description.

For e.g. The description was "AB Juice" and default category "Groceries" changed to category "Dining Out". After editing description to "AB Juice Center", the category changes to "Groceries" from "Dining Out" based on…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! For better of worse, these are both intended behaviors – right now we don’t save how you choose to split things, just the final result of the split, so you should see when you click on the details for split equally, you should see that only one person is assigned any shares.

The categorization based on the description was a fix we included in the most recent version of the iOS app and has been how Android has always worked.

Marshall

19. Invite Directly from contact

Allow to send message to the person's mobile number in the contacts

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there. Are you in India, the UAE, or France? In those countries we don’t pull mobile numbers from Contacts because our invite text messages get marked as spam by the carriers and therefore they don’t get delivered. So we only pull email addresses because we can ensure deliverability. Sorry for the trouble!

20. Owe

The owes you and you owe is always confused with us. So please see if you can have this word replace with any good understandable word please

Thanks

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve spent a lot of time on the language in the app and this is the best set of words we’ve been able to come up with. It’s not something we plan to change, but I’d love to hear more about why it’s confusing.

Marshall

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base