General

1. Allow payments through Amazon Payments which charges no credit card fees under 1000$ a month

payments.amazon.com will allow you to send up to 1000$ a month for free with credit card

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. allow for "secret" expenses in a group.

Dear Splitwise team,
    first of all thanks for a great application! It would be even more awesome if it supported the following use case:
    I frequently run into situations where in a group of people, we want to share the cost of a present for one of the group members among the rest. It would be awesome to use the existing Splitwise group, but of course we don't want the person who got the present to know how much we paid.
    Or is there a convenient way to take care of this that I have not discovered yet? As far…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve decided not to do this. If an expense is in a group, every member should be able to see it. Once you can’t see all of the expenses, it’s impossible to verify that the totals are correct and we’re not willing to break this.

Marshall

3. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve tried this in the past and found that it add significantly more stress and confusion in general because most people do not want to verify payments. So you wind up with most people just having a pile of “unverified” payments stressing them out.

Marshall

4. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

5. Expenses entered should be deleted/updated only by the person who entered it.

Person who created the expense only should be able to delete/update the expense. What if someone deletes the expense? I see a explanation saying "What if someone inserts an incorrect expense? Then everyone should be able to delete the incorrect expense", in this case the people involved in the expense can settle among themselves and request the person who inserted the expense to delete. But what if someone deletes a correct expense?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If someone deletes a correct expense or a group, it is very easy to undelete in one tap from your recent activity feed. (If someone edits an expense incorrectly, the old version is referenced as a comment on the new expense.) We don’t believe administrative control is the best way to keep things friendly.

6. create an app for sharing tasks

First of all: Splitwise is an absolutely amazing application that has saved me, my friends and my flatmates a lot of arguing and discussing. In a shared flat, there is another issue apart from splitting bills and that is splitting household tasks. The problems are actually quite similar, but unfortunately there seems to be no good solution for managing household tasks. The idea would be tasks can be 'voted up', meaning they increase their reward. As soon as someone considers a reward big enough, he does the task and gets the reward points. If a flatmember falls too far back…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to do anything other than make it easier to split expenses. I can see how this would be a useful app, but it’s not one we’re going to have the time to build.

Marshall

7. Only group admin/creator can add or remove people from the group.

Only group admin/creator can add or remove people from the group.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have gotten a few of these requests in the past, but currently we have the mindset that people in a group trust each other enough to not abuse the system. We do have the history tab for the groups, so everyone can see anything that’s been done in the group activity wise.

Currently group members can’t be removed from the group unless they have a zero balance.

8. have a app that splits up typical house chores evenly!

You should have a section of your site dedicated to splitting up typical chores between housemates!!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: We’ve decided dealing with more than just money will add too much clutter and confusion to our app, so will probably not do this.

This is a really neat idea, though I’m not sure how one would be able to put an actual money amount on different chores globally. Chores have different values for people depending on how much they like/hate that task.

We’ve talked about this in the past, and it may be something we decide we’d like to peruse in the future.

9. create a way to settle expenses between specific members of a group

I think it would be great if you could create a way to settle expenses between certain people in a group, not everybody in a group. That was something we had when we used Billmonk - you could choose who to settle the bills with. For example, suppose that person A owes person B, and C owes A. When person C needs to settle with A, they end up needing to pay back person B. In the current group set-up, if person B doesn't really know or have contact with person C, it makes it more complicated to facilitate payment.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Song-My – it sounds like you’re using a group with “debt simplification” turned on. If you turn simplified debts off, the group should function just the way you’re describing (e.g. if A owes B and C owes A, that will NOT be simplified down to “C owes B”).

You can turn off simplified debts from the web by clicking “More details” next to your balance summary to bring up the details for your full group. Then click the “Simplify debt?” toggle in the upper-right to turn off auto-simplification.

And if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion and you’d actually like a different feature, let us know! :)

10. intergate with dropbox or gdrive as backup

Provide a option where we can sign in with out dropbox/gdrive login password account and export the data to dropbox account.

Just just gives a option data backup, incase some thing goes wrong.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Building a Dropbox or Google Drive integration isn’t in our plans right now – we take care to backup our own servers, and we already allow you to download basic backups in .csv format from the website. We’d much rather focus on improving core features.

And don’t worry: if Splitwise ever shuts down, we’ll notify all our users and give ample time for you to export your information :)

11. Add Objects

I started planning to build a startup until I saw your app. So, I guess thanks for being really awesome before me!

I'm about to graduate college and I'm realizing that I'm missing many of my things (I loan a lot out). Now, I'm about to not see people for a long time and will probably lose many books. Being able to keep track of some of my objects that I loan out in the same place as my monetary transactions would be coolio.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Andrew – glad we could help! :) Unfortunately, we probably won’t be adding object-tracking to Splitwise. We’ve thought about it before, and previously we decided that it would complicate the interface too much. We’d rather have Splitwise handle just one thing (money) and handle it super-well.

Hope that makes sense – sorry!

12. Groups with hidden expenses

Have an option in groups whereby all expenses in the group are only visible to those involved in an expense. I'm specifically thinking of making a group where I can note down presents, and I'd like to call this group "Presents".

In it, I'd keep track of all previous presents - but as the people I share with begin to use Splitwise, they'd also be able to view the expenses for others in the group - which isn't always so good as they may know each other.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One of the most important features we intend to keep in Splitwise is to allow users to always be able to check the math on any amount that they owe. Hiding expenses in groups would either interfere with this or with some of our other features.

You can create an expense with multiple people outside of a group (just add all the participants in the With: field of the expense). These expenses are only visible to the participants, so will not be seen by the recipient of the gift.

Marshall

13. Plates: Allow user to enter absolute tip amount

Currently we can add 0% or 10-25% billing amount as tip.
    Allow tip amount to be entered by user (calculate and show % on basis of that)

This is because when we are in restaurant we prefer rounding up total amount e.g. if total amount to pay is $17.35 we pay @20 but plates app allow us to log it as either $19.95 or $20.13

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Have certain groups within groups

We went on a trip from different parts of India and 2 to 3 people were from same state. They want to get it settled combined from their side to other people on the trip and want a separate internal expense list so that they could settle it within their group. I would recommend you to add this feature for more functionality.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the interesting idea, but groups are confusing enough so I can’t see us ever doing this. But I understand the use case and we’ll continue to think about how to handle that case simply or elegantly.

15. Subgroups

Can you implement something like subgroups? Suppose we have a flatmates group but want to maintain a history of what all was spent in a particular trip. That will be convenient in a bigger scenario where we have many office colleagues in a group but went on a trip with only few of them. If we want to add multiple bills, this will be convenient.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we think this would overcomplicate Splitwise, and we’re not likely to add it in the near future.

For any specific applications such as trips, if you have a subset/different set of people from an existing group, our current recommendation is to create a separate group. Your total balances will each friend will reflect the combined totals from both groups.

16. Settling bills with multi group friends

When settling bills with a friend who is in multiple group, if exact amount is paid, the payment is divided and both the groups are settled. But if the amount paid is not exact, there should be some mechanism to settle the groups.
    Suggestion
    After paying a certain amount , the group with maximum due amount should be settled first followed by group with next highest due and so on.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

I think I understand the suggestion, and thanks for your thoughts, but this solution would be very to build and even more complex to explain/design a UI for.

Settle All Balances is already very confusing even when a payment cancels everything exactly, so we’re not likely to double down on this approach. I apologize but I’m going to decline your request.

As a good work-around for now, I recommend you manually record one payment as two separate payments if you have strong preferences about how a partial payment should be allocated across groups.

Best,
    Jon

17. Pay directly in-app

Integrate with PayPal or Apple pay

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, PayPal has not allowed us to offer our PayPal integration on mobile outside of the US. You can use PayPal with Splitwise from our website outside the US.

Apple pay doesn’t really support peer-to-peer payments at the moment, so it’s not something we can add to our app.

We are always looking at other payment providers.

Marshall

18. Create an unpaid bill

When I click to add a bill, it assumes it's been paid. This is a bad assumption. Use Case: I want to add an unpaid cable bill to split. Can't do it.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m declining this because we have a different solution in mind for dealing with unpaid bills that will be coming in the next 3-6 months. Handling bills in a better and cleaner way is really important to us, so we’re going to build out a more comprehensive set of features around this.

Marshall

19. interface is not good

the new side bar is good but the old main interface of group and one on one was good kindly switch it back as it was fast and good and convenient.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We switched to the new user interface to address issues that were impossible to fix in the old layout, so we will not be going back (though we will be bringing a couple of sorely-missed views from the old layout). If you have specific things you think the old group/person interface worked better for, please let us know and we’ll see if we can accommodate it in the new design.

Marshall

20. Make bug reports searchable/commentable

This is totally "inside baseball," but I'm a dev geek, and I know you guys spend all kinds of time fixing bugs. I think it would be great if you could let users search existing bug reports (the way they can with features) to figure out if something's already been reported and maybe help you by adding more details to an existing report, and help you re-test if necessary.

Also, this product is AWESOME and I really appreciate all the effort that goes into making it and making it better!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Quick update:

We don’t plan to make our bug reports searchable. Mostly this is because most of the reports that we keep not in UV forums are either security issues we’re in the middle of addressing or minor issues we’re keeping track of but not planning to fix urgently. in both of these cases, there’s not a lot of value (and some risk) in exposing these to everyone.

Marshall

Awesome idea, thanks Will!

We use Uservoice (this very thing I am using to speak to you now) to manage help tickets, feature suggestions, and the like. It’s true that when bugs are reported this way, only the articles and suggestions are searchable as part of the submission, so unless we publicly document the bug in our helpdesk you can’t find anything about it.

However, we kind of /like/ hearing 10 times about the same bug because then we know we…

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base