General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. ONly the owner of the expense should be allowed to edit but not everyone . I was able to delete the data entered by others

ONly the owner of the expense should be allowed to edit but not everyone . I was able to delete the data entered by others

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

At least for now, Splitwise’s policy is that anyone involved in a bill has the power to view, edit, or delete it. We realize this can make things difficult if two users disagree on a bill – but even if editing was disallowed, those two users could still just add more expenses to change things to their liking.

We think it’s more important for users to be able to correct actual mistakes, and allowing editing by any involved user makes this much simpler for the majority of our users. Sorry for any inconvenience!

• Mobile Website not available

I have an old version of android (v 2.1)
      The Android app is not compatible for this version.
      It would be better if we have m.splitwise.com with basic features

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have no plans for a mobile website at this time – we’re a small team, and are already dedicating all our engineering resources to the full web app, iPhone, and Android. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Create an unpaid bill

When I click to add a bill, it assumes it's been paid. This is a bad assumption. Use Case: I want to add an unpaid cable bill to split. Can't do it.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m declining this because we have a different solution in mind for dealing with unpaid bills that will be coming in the next 3-6 months. Handling bills in a better and cleaner way is really important to us, so we’re going to build out a more comprehensive set of features around this.

Marshall

• Shared shopping list

It would be nice if we could share a shopping list with my roommates.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We do have a whiteboard feature in the new interface on the website that you could use for a shopping list, but we will probably not support anything more complicated than that.

Marshall

• rename friends after they logged in

it's great to have the possibility to name and rename newly added friends which has not logged in yet BUT I would also like to define my own names for my friends even after the logged in and defined their "official" name.

For example, my father logs in first time, enters his full name, but if I log in I still would like to see him as "dad" rather than "Alexander" (especially if I have multiple friends called "Alexander", which could easily happen).

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently plan to support “renaming” friends – while it certainly would be useful for some users, we think that group of users is rather small, and as a small company we want to spend our development time working on bigger features and updates. Very sorry for the inconvenience!

For the “multiple Alexanders” problem, we try to encourage people to use both their first and last name, as well as a profile picture, to help distinguish them from other friends with similar names.

• Change the group Icon

its confusing to have the home icon for groups. It would be better if you use a picture with multiple people.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

In user testing, using an icon with multiple people is more confusing than the current icon. We do plan to change this icon with our next major release to something less house specific.

Marshall

• "Simplify debts with" in a group

It could be usefull to redirect simplified debts with a person in a specific group, instead of non-group

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to make any changes to the “Simplify debts with” algorithm. We do offer simplify debts as an ongoing toggle in groups, which we think is usually a much better solution to the simplify debts problem, though we kept the more general one around for rare cases where it’s needed. You can always edit a specific Simplify debts entry and move it into a group if you want to.

Marshall

• Expenses/Non-Splitwise thru payments approval

I really believe this feature is a must!
                  I came across some previous similar suggestions .. which were declined on the reason that Dashboard and email notifications about a new expense accomplish the same

Don't you guys realize that whatever you do..any step adding an expense edit it..etc etc "APPROVAL FROM ALL People involved in a Transaction!" is the FINAL Unavoidable step..be it AN EXPENSE OR A CASH PAYMENT

Similarly "Settlement via Cash" needs approval!
                  ------------------------------------------------------

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, our answer for this remains the same – we don’t plan to add explicit “approval” for when bills/payments are added, updated, or deleted. We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

As always, you can set your notification settings to be notified any time that something is added or updated. And of course, you are always free to edit or remove expenses that you think were added incorrectly, and to talk out the issue with the involved parties. Sorry for the trouble!

• 4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

At least for now, Splitwise’s policy is that anyone involved in a bill has the power to view, edit, or delete it. We realize this can make things difficult if two users disagree on a bill – but even if editing was disallowed, those two users could still just add more expenses to change things to their liking.

We think it’s more important for users to be able to correct actual mistakes, and allowing editing by any involved user makes this much simpler for the majority of our users. Sorry for any inconvenience!

• Add Toman Currency, Iranian common but unofficial currency

In the daily life of Iranians, the currency called "Toman" is more frequently used than the official currency, "Rial (IRR)", because of a lot of zeros!
                      Toman is one tenth of Rial, i.e. 10000 Rial is equal to 1000 Toman.
                      Please add this currency (or replace it with Rial), because it makes confusion and error by the users frequently.
                      Thank you

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the message, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I’m afraid our list of currencies is restricted to currencies with official international currency codes, so we can’t add the Toman right now :(

I did some research, and I saw that there have been efforts to replace the Rial with either the Toman or a new unit called the Parsi, but most of the articles that mentioned this possible change were several years old. If a currency change ever becomes official, we’d be happy to add the new unit of currency. Until then, my apologies for the inconvenience!

• Drinks category

I don't drink alcohol at all but if I like to tag drinks on splitwise, there is just an "Schnapps" category with the picture of a wine bootle. Could you please add a drinks or beverages category or at least rename it?

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve separated out the Schnapps category from the Groceries category because we found that the distinction between alcohol and other foodstuffs was clear to most people. Adding a Drinks category separate from Groceries would add a lot of ambiguity for not much benefit (is milk drinks or groceries, for example). We also have the Dining out category for anything at restaurants.

I’m sorry we don’t have the best set of categories for you, but I don’t expect we will add a separate Drinks category.

Marshall

• Sort contact list by frequency

There are a few people with whom I have to share expenses every day. And there are people with whom I have shared expenses just once or twice.

While adding an expense, when the contact list is shown, instead of sorting it alphabetically, it should be sorted by frequency.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to add different sorting for this, but we are considering showing your last 5 people or groups in a special Recents list section for adding expenses.

Marshall

• Email Printable Summary to Group

It would be nice to email printable summary to the group who does not use splitwise

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We currently send monthly summaries to everyone who has signed up for Splitwise and have pre-written balance reminders you can send to anyone in the group we can email. We also have the monthly PDF you can get from the group (click on the month name in the expense list) that should be suitable for sending to housemates.

Marshall

• 3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve decided to leave out the graph for now – not many people were using it, and it was hurting performance/speed. We’ll consider it for future updates, but at the moment there are no plans to bring it back. Sorry!

• dispense with the notion of "groups", except as a shortcut to adding friends to a bill.

I'm not really sure what purpose groups are serving, but really what I want is to be able to say, "add a bill to this group", and have it just open the same screen as it does when I add a bill to a friend, but with all the correct friends for that group already added...

Not sure why groups are managed as a completely separate thing from friends - seems like a group is just a subset of friends.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

While we do plan to revisit our groups concept and will be tuning how our groups and friendships interact (it’s definitely not correct in the current UI), the main difference between friends and groups is privacy. In a group, and bill added to the group can be seen by anyone in the group, regardless of if they are involved in the bill or not. This is nice if you have related bills that not everyone is involved in, but might want to see (I might not pay anything on the electrical bill, but it’s important to me that my apartment has electricity).

This also means anyone in the group may add, edit or delete bills for anyone else in the group and balances get shuffled in groups if you turn Simplified Debts on for the group.

The upshot of this is: only set up a group for a set of…

• 3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve tried this in the past and found that it add significantly more stress and confusion in general because most people do not want to verify payments. So you wind up with most people just having a pile of “unverified” payments stressing them out.

Marshall

• Add setting or advanced feature to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions

May I suggest adding an "Advanced Setting" that allows the user to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions?

The option would allow the user to choose a simple "Me" or "Them" such that if the user chose "Me" as the bearer of uneven divisions then debts would be split evenly (to the cent) over all debtors and the user would bear any leftovers from the division operation.

For example ("Me" option), if the bill is $60.01 split over 3 people (including the user), then each person should pay $20.00 but the users takes on the extra $0.01.

An…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

The uneven cents are randomly distributed among group members. We want to make it randomly distributed the same after an expense is updated instead of it being randomly reassigned again but we will likely not add a setting to determine this ahead of time.

• how the heck can someone else delete an entry I made ?

Your application is awesome, but it has a huge flaw when it comes to the part where someone else is allowed to delete an entry i made. I see that you have notifications set up when such thing happens but this will not work. You should not allow this to happen in the first place. By giving everyone right to delete anyone else's entry in a group you are losing customers like me to billmonk.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We allow group members to edit or delete anything within that group. This is because we want anyone within that group to be able to fix a mistake and have total transparency. If you create a friendship with a person, then the only people that can edit or delete an expense will be the people involved.

• All Import from the same format as your export feature

Before knowing your website existed I split using a spreadsheet (last night) and would be happy to conform my format to the same as your export format. Just let me know if you support and point me to the import option

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Dustin, sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to build a general importer in the near future. Even our spreadsheet export doesn’t actually have enough information to import bills – for instance, it doesn’t have complete information about how much each person paid, or each person’s email address.

I’d love to add an actual importer at some point in the future, but right now we’re really short on manpower (we’re only two engineers), so unfortunately other updates will probably take priority. For now, your best bet is probably just to add your current total balances with your friends as new expenses, and optionally include your spreadsheet as an attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

• Duplicate group creation/monthly sharing

We are a group of friends who share an apartment. We would like to have our expenses tabled month-wise. It would be great if Splitwise either -
                                          1) has a feature in groups to divide the group expenses month-wise
                                          2) allows duplicate group with the same existing members(creating new group for every month by adding email ids of people every time is a hassle)

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added a feature to the website that will hide expenses whenever the overall balance in the group is $0. If you do settle up each month, the last months expenses will be hidden.

We will likely bring this to the iPhone and Android at some point. Will this work for what you want?

Marshall

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base