Skip to content

General

869 results found

1. Color Coding of Paid column.

A nice to have would be:
    The column that shows who paid could use a different color for each person who pays. For instance I have Zac, Kyle, and Myself (Erza) in my group, my color would be black. Kyle could be blue and Zac could purple. This would allow me to look at glance who paid more often. I do like the the orange and green column that shows how much was lent/borrowed. Icing on the cake would be having the ability to assign each group member a color.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on the suggestion! I know in the past we’ve considered additional things to indicate who paid – small user icons, for instance. (I believe we decided against that in order to keep the interface cleaner and less cluttered.) I’ll add this to our list of possible ideas and see what the rest of the team thinks.

2. add a rollback functionality

Splitwise does a fantastic job with keeping record of everyone's payments and loans. However, in situations where many payments and loans are done among 3 people or more, and not everybody lists it on Splitwise, it can be a pain to figure it all out. It would be great if you you offered a rollback functionality that allowed the users to rollback to the amount payed or owed up to a certain listing or date.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a good idea, and one we’ve talked about as a team before. Unfortunately there are some technical challenges involved (it’s not always easy to rewind with so many users and bills), but it’s on our list of possible improvements for the future. In the meantime, I’m sorry for the inconvenience!

For now, you may want to try looking at the printable monthly summary on the web, which includes a record of what your balance was at the beginning and end of that month.

3. Add Passbook support!

Would be great if passbook was supported, we could quickly check to see the split balance of someone I regularly split lunch with...

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Interesting suggestion – I’ll pass it on! My current understanding is that Passbook has some issues with keeping perfectly in sync (i.e. the Passbook only syncs its passes once every few hours), but it may be that that behavior has changed, or that the behavior will get better with iOS 8.

4. Send report to all

One should be able to send a report With all expenses and debts to everyone in a Group for setllement.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you might want to check out the printable summary on our website. There’s a link to a monthly printable summary at the top of each month of expenses – if you click it, you can see a summary of all expenses for that month, or all expenses for all months if you prefer.

5. Just used PayPal integration to settle funds - that was helpful! Would be great to add a comment so it is clear what the payment is for

Just used PayPal integration to settle funds - that was helpful! Would be great to add a comment so it is clear what the payment is for.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Tushar,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just so you know, you can add a comment on the Splitwise side, either before you submit the payment or after in the Notes/Comments field, which will generate an email by default (depending on user preferences). Just won’t be in the PayPal receipt, which is itself a good idea but we have somewhat less control over that.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Jon

6. More categories and change payer default

I have 2 ideas after using your app to control a eurotrip with my husband and parents to Europe (btw, I love this app!! total life saver!)

1. More categories, such as theater and other expenses.
    2. Sometimes I forget to go back and change who paid the bill. I should be able to choose if I want to be asked for who paid the bill
    2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggesting!

1. We do add new categories from time to time. I’m leaving this as under review so if we get a lot of votes for this we know a lot of people would use a theater category. We have a general category, would “other expenses” be different than this?

2. I do this myself from time to time, so I know it can be annoying. Our solution to this is to make it easy for anyone on the expense to edit the expense if there are mistakes on it. You can also opt-in to notifications when an expense gets updated or added to help keep track of things. If we were to add a feature like this, it would be for everyone and not a setting. Given how almost all expenses are paid for by the person who adds them, I don’t think the added annoyance…

7. I believe India got a huge market for this app.

If possible try have a share option so that people can share there dues & bills on apps like whatsapp. I think u guys must start advertising for this product. Mostly students and Bachelors.
    You can charge a nominal charge of just ₹ 50 / year in India. This app deserves to have in app purchases, as it's dealing with real money.
    Note: try keeping it add free!!!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestions! We’re mostly focused on the US, since that’s where our company is based, but we care a lot about India too, and there are lots of Indian users on Splitwise.

Right now, we offer an optional Pro version with some extra paid features, and we might add in-app purchases in the future. We definitely plan to keep Splitwise ad-free, and we plan to always offer a free version to get people started. If you want to support Splitwise, the best thing you can do is tell your friends about us – it’s free and it helps us grow! :)

8. Change the way you notify users of new expenses!

Hi Guys,

Maybe I am just an idiot, but I keep on making the same mistake over and over with Splitwise.

The problem is that when someone adds an expense where I owe them XX amount, i get normally get a push notification for that specific expense. Lets say my house mate adds an expense where I owe him 100. I then get a notification that says an expense of 100 has now been added. Almost every time this happens, my thought process is, 'Cool, I'll quickly pay that person the 100 that i owe them". The problem is, I…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  9. A group I created is totally boned because I entered someone's name twice into all expenses. Create a clean way to correct this mistake.

I can add dummy expenses to settle the redundant person's debt, but then I also can't modify any older expenses that involved the redundant person. It also looks weird to anyone else who sees strange expenses to settle that person's debt.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Byron – very sorry for the trouble! I imagine this is pretty frustrating, so I’ll definitely pass on the feedback at our next team meeting.

For now, if you email us at support@splitwise.com, we should be able to add the second redundant person back to your account again, and then you’ll be able to edit the older expenses that involved that person (after which you can delete the person again). Again, sorry for the confusion!

10. Show monthly total that x owes me as of that month

Consider the case if users are not settling up bills months and some time after if i want to check whats x owes me as of previous month end. Show the total that x owes me at end of that month for all previous months in "all transactions list".

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can view this currently from our website – just log in, then go to a friend or group, and then click the “View printable summary” link at the top of each month’s expenses. We hope to bring something similar to our mobile apps in the future. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

11. Set or postpone the monthly balance

It would be great if the monthly balance (washup) could be postponed or even set to a user-defined date rather than the end of the calendar month

There are 2 scenarios where u would find this useful:
    1. Special events that have a fixed duration (say 3 weeks) and we collectively set a date for finalising expenses relating to the event

1. Sometimes routine ongoing shared expenses don't always work for monthly washup at the end of the calendar month & we may want to (for this month) set a temporary & new date (eg 5th), or a permanent repeating date
    2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve definitely thought about cases where people aren’t necessarily settling up at the end of each month, and I think we could do a better job adding features for that. I don’t think we’re likely to allow users to shift the monthly summary itself, but I’d love to add support for additional messages for things like group trips and other short-term events. I’ll pass on a note about this at our next design meeting!

12. Group summary

A group would have many transactions that are not split equally. And so it is very useful to know exactly what the status of a particular group is. Total group's expenditure, my share, etc.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  13. Add a "bailed" option

for expenses when someone decides to not participate on a group, to split what they paid as an expense for everyone else.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting suggestion! I can see how this would be useful in some unfortunate situations. For now, you could try adding a “Bailed” expense, where the person who owes the money “paid” and everyone else splits the cost.

14. can total Owes you amount be in other color rather light green

can total Owes you amount be in other color rather light green? and split among groups in light green?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! There’s not any way to do this from our mobile apps right now, but there are a few possibilities on our website – if you go to a group, you can either pull up a printable summary (click the “view printable summary” link above each month’s expenses) or export your bills to a spreadsheet (click the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar, then click “Export as spreadhsheet”). Hope that helps a bit for now!

16. Make it easier to change a user in a group

Hi there! I encountered a problem where I made a typo in someone's email address, then added a bunch of expenses, and then Splitwise wouldn't let me change the user because she wasn't "settled up." I tried deleting the user from the group and adding the correct user, but it said I couldn't edit the expenses because there was a deleted member. Eventually I had to delete the entire group and start over.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Very sorry for the trouble! If a group member hasn’t logged in yet, you should be able to update their email address from the group settings page on our website, or from the friend settings screen on our mobile app. We’re working on some improvements to make this clearer, especially on mobile, so I apologize for all the unnecessary confusion!

17. send out a bit of details while simplifying debts.

bravo for all your efforts team! we have been using the app for a long period of time now. A couple weeks back you guys introduced a logic that would simplify/adjustdebts accordingly. While most of auch simplifications are trivial, some are not! And the intimation mail only mentions that splitwise has adjusted debts, I request you guys to add a set of details in the same mail, which may include who all were included and before/after of debt amouts. I am also a developer, I guess this would not be a hefty change ;-) Thanks guys, keep rocking!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’d love to include better details when simplifying debts, but it’s actually surprisingly hard to show those details in an intelligent way :) The math is very simple, but we’ve found that showing the complete data often confuses people – especially in very old groups, where the “unsimplified” totals might include thousands of dollars of payments to each other (which all cancel each other out).

Still, we definitely want to show more information! Hopefully we’ll be able to try a few new designs this year and find something that works. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

18. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. change the verbiage that states "you borrowed $xx.xx" in monthly statement emails to "you were billed". more accurate, less offensive.

change the verbiage that states "you borrowed $xx.xx" in monthly statement emails to "you were billed". more accurate, less offensive.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Some Enhancement suggestions

Hi,

I am using splitwise for months now. it is very good tool to split the expenses.

I guess few more features would be even more useful for the daily users like me. Below are some of the features i can think of

1. We are using to split the expenses made for Apartments, trips etc. Though we can able to know How much we owe and owed, there is no option for us to find the total expenses made in that particular Trip or Particular group. it would be great, if you could add the feature of total expenses for…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the message! Here are a few quick responses:

1) Yep, we definitely want to do a better job of showing totals! Hopefully that’s something you’ll see in the near future.

2) Actually, you can already export to Excel from our website: just choose a group or friend, then click the settings button at the top of the right sidebar and choose “Export as spreadsheet”. We’re working on bringing this feature to our mobile apps, too.

3) If you click on an expense to view its details, then it should give you a history of all edits made to that expense – if the cost was changed, if people were added or removed, etc. You can also see a brief history of all changes by going to the “Recent activity” screen, which shows all recent changes in your account.

4) Other people have also asked for the ability to…

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base