Skip to content

General

869 results found

1. Add group AND other friends to expense

Say I'm sharing a meal with my roommates and some other friends. We split the bill using splitwise, and now my roommates owe me money, and so does the other friends. I'm behind in the "Roommates" group, so I want the part of the bill involving my roomies to appear in the group, and the part regarding my other friends to appear individually under "friends".

Adding the group to the bill simply translates to whomever is in the group, and now there are two seprate expenses being tracked, which is confusing.

Could it be possible to have an expense listed…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

This is actually tricky for technical reasons, because of how we organize and handle expenses on our servers. Group + friend expenses aren’t very common from what we’ve seen, but I’ll pass on the suggestion and see if it’s something for our long-term to-do list.

2. Allow user to see history of all their payments, expenses.

Allow user to see a history of all their payments, expenses from all their groups in one place. Also include the groups that have been deleted. It makes easier to map it one on one with the bank account statement, from where the real money goes.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea! I’ll pass it on, but for now, you can do some of this already:

- You can view all non-deleted expenses on the “All expenses” view
    - You can see an overview of deleted expenses from the history page (accessible on the web by clicking the flag in the middle of the top of the screen)

3. Allow the android app to rotate its display

Many thanks for the v3 app! It looks awesome already. But I was a bit disappointed that it didn't support rotation. It's my impression that rotation in Android Apps was a simple thing to add.. (I might be wrong though).

Hope this get's added. It's necessary for tablets :P
    .. And for my phone with a pull-out keyboard (HTC Desire Z).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We’d love to add rotation support at some point, but it’s actually a fair bit of work to make sure that everything works properly when rotated. It’s on our list of possible app improvements, but it will probably be a while before we seriously consider it. In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience!

4. A way to show settle up amount for just the past month

I settle up on the first of the month or shortly thereafter. I'd like to see the settle up amount for just the previous month and exclude any recurring bills for next month that are already starting to showing up.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Two possible solutions for you:

If you use groups: Have you tried clicking the “view printable summary” link at the top of each month on our website? That link includes a total for each person for JUST that month, so that you can see how much each person spent/owes for a given month.

If you’re splitting all your bills with one other person: The “Trends” tab in the right-hand sidebar also includes a summary of monthly expenses. Click the “Trends” button at the top of the sidebar, then click the “View full charts” link at the bottom of the sidebar. You’ll be able to see your expenses broken down by category, as well as your total balance for the month.

If that doesn’t do what you’re looking for, let me know and I’ll pass on the suggestion.

5. View detailed "who owes who" in printable summary.

Sometimes (if someone doesn't use splitwise) you should at least mail/copy/give them all information about the calculation so it would be great to provide the simplified amounts of the entire group like displayed in the web (view full details) and app (in balances).

This could also be helpful in the mail reminders optionally.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely see why that would be useful :) I’ll pass on your suggestion at our next team meeting, and see if we can add it to our to-do list.

6. Intellisense

Hi,

This is a great web app. I was thinking, as the users who are using this app for everyday expenses management, their expense description remains same or similar. So, if you can store those descriptions and as user starts typing, you can show a probable list to select from their earlier descriptions. It will be more user friendly as then user doesn't need to type the same thing over and over again everyday or every week.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I can definitely see how that would be useful! We’ve got a bunch of features already on our to-do list, but I’ll pass on the suggestion at our next team meeting and see if we want to add that sometime soon.

7. Forward a payment

SCENARIO:
    Larry and Moe each paid $50 of a bill for Curly.
    Now Curly owes $100, $50 each to Larry and Moe.
    Curly pays Moe $100.
    Now Moe owes Larry $50.

Currently, it appears you can only manually split the pymt to simulate the transaction.

I'd like to see a way to split a pymt to more than one person.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 250 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    42 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Updating since it’s been a while. Currently Square Cash does not have an API that we can use to integrate. At this point we would need Square Cash to change in order for us to do the integration.

9. Itemized or Detailed Balances

Select a person and return a detailed list of expenses.
    e.g.
    Dave owes $200.00
    Gas $60.00
    Electric $40.00
    Cable $100.00

The people in my group are always asking me for the details of what they owe.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’d definitely like a better way to explain exactly why you owe what you owe, but unfortunately it’s surprisingly tricky, since people often pay for things out of order. For now, your best option is probably to look at the printable summary page on our website, which gives a detailed breakdown of recent expenses for each person.

10. there should be individual settle button in Dashboard.

there should be a settle button against individual line items in dashboard. now i can see that who owe me or i owe who what. but i have to go to individual group/friend to settle up that amount. it'll be really good to have a individual settle button beside the line item say under a friend's name "you owe 450 for XXX".
    Thx

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on this suggestion! In the meantime, you should be able to settle up from the dashboard by clicking the green “Settle up” button above the list of balances, choosing a payment method, and then choosing the person you wish to pay back. Splitwise should automatically fill in the total amount that you owe that person. I hope that helps somewhat for now!

11. Feature request - calculate taxes!

I'd love to be able to calculate the final amount owed/someone owes directly with the app. E.g. if there's a 15% service tax on something my friend bought for $16.95, then it'll calculate the total for me and record that. Right now, I use a separate calculator, so it's a big hassle.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ability to add a default PayPal address

An account should have the ability to specify an alternate PayPal address so that when it's time to settle up, the alternate address will be used instead of the address associated with Splitwise.

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense. We’d like to add the ability for an account to include multiple email addresses, and setting different default addresses for PayPal/Venmo/etc seems like a logical extension of that.

13. Make the "Add a Bill" pop up div draggable

When I click the orange "Add a Bill" button that brings up the pop-up div, many times I need to look at what's behind it as I type my new bill. Currently, I'll start typing, have to close the window, look at an old bill, and then open up the add a bill button again and start typing the bill all over again. If you could make the div draggable when the header is clicked and held, that would be awesome.

*** Note to developers: It only takes one line of jquery code to do this (and it's cross-browser of…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – this would definitely be nice!

Unfortunately, I suspect it may be more than just one line of code, as there are places where we use custom positioning logic for our pop-ups (to handle sliding sub-menus and such). Still, I’ll add it to our list of possible improvements for the future :)

14. View expenses by category

Hi,

I would find it extremely useful in both the mobile and web apps if I were able to group a house's expenses by their Category (possibly putting payments in their own section of the summary). In the web app, I imagine the link for this next to 'view printable summary'.

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you looking for an item-by-item list, or a summary by category? If you’re looking for the latter, there’s a category breakdown chart you can use on our website – click the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand sidebar, then click “view full charts” at the bottom of the sidebar. I’ll pass on the suggestion for a way to break things down by category. Hopefully we can add these features to our mobile apps in future updates!

15. update Plates to share totals over AirDrop (iOS 7)

I love Plates, and I think the UI is simple and easy to use. When I need to share the totals with the table, text and email options are nice, but sometimes I don't have their contact information.

AirDrop would allow me to send it to them without that info. Being able to AirDrop would make splitting dinner with acquaintances that much easier! Perfect example of this for me: I was at a brunch with 10 people after a wedding at a diner. I only knew 2 of the people at the table. Plates saved the day and made sense…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  16. connect to Google Wallet as well as PayPal

Google Wallet has started supporting money transfers. Helpfully, the money goes into the wallet balance, which can then be spent directly or moved to a bank account.
    Anyway, supporting Google Wallet might not be possible: I'm not sure that their Payments API supports payments between individuals or if the merchant, i.e. you, would have to serve as an intermediary. But give it a shot please.

182 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As of late 2015, Google Wallet does not currently have a public API for person-to-person payments, so unfortunately there’s not a way for us to integrate with them directly. If Google adds that ability at some point in the future, then we’d love to consider this!

17. make it easier to look through historical data.

My roommates and I are having trouble verifying who owes who what. We're considering moving back the google doc that we had because that interface is so much easier to look at historical logs.

Is there no way to just see a table of the history between two users? If there is make it more prominent.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Just to clarify: it sounds like you’re using a group, but want a better way to view only the transactions between two specific people, correct? I can pass on that suggestion.

Two existing features that might help somewhat (both web-only, and not in our mobile apps):

- Web only: In a group, you can hide all expenses that don’t involve you. Just go to your group, then click the gear/settings icon at the top of the right-hand column, and click on “Hide items not involving me”.

- Web only: You can also export all your bills to a spreadsheet. Go to your group, then click the gear/settings icon at the top of the right-hand column, and click on “Export as spreadsheet”. That may help if you’re trying to “verify” the total balances of each group member.

18. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow Custom Labels

Been using your app for a while now, it's pretty sweet!

Thought it might be cool to be able to add my own custom labels to bills. Similar to the 'Recurring' labels that automatically gets added to bills. That way I would be able to mark bills as 'Paid' or add other useful information that is relevant to my room mates and should be visible at a glance.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Interesting – I can see how this would be useful. I’ll add it to our list of possible future updates. For the time being, you could try using the “Notes” field to accomplish something similar, though obviously it’s a bit more buried (you’d need to click on each expense to view its “labels”).

20. summary of all the expenses per category

It would be very usefull to know how much each one has spent since the creation of the account for each category.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea – I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting!

In the meantime, you can already view monthly category summaries on the web by going to a friend/group/all expenses and clicking the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand column. Then click the “view full charts” link at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar.

Alternately, you could try exporting your expenses with any friend or group to a spreadsheet, and then building charts from that.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base