General

1. Easy switching for who is paying who when settling up

I tend to lend money to my friends and use settle up option to record cash payments and keep a track of who owes what. When clicking settling up, it'd show from and to depending on who owes who (which is fine).

What I think will help is an option to switch it (probably by clicking the arrow). As of now, I've to manually select it by clicking on the names and re-selecting it.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Import Excel format Bank Statement (BoFA)

Directly Import the bank statement to add bill for whole month and show an option of each line item to be tagged (like facebook tagging) under any group or person

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting! I know we’re generally cautious about building importers (they can be a lot of work to develop, and they generally don’t get much use), but I’ll pass on this suggestion at our next meeting and see what the team thinks.

3. sync with Tripit

retrieve trip data, people traveling and booked/payed plans from the tripit platform. this will reduce the effort of setting up a new splitwise trip a lot.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the interesting and new idea! We are generally cautious adding new integrations but if this becomes a popular request we will review the feasibility in more detail.

Best,
    Jon

4. Download all the expenses of current month

Add the option to download all expenses of the current month. Now we can download expense on a particular group,but not on all expenses made by me (including all groups and individuals) for current month.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting – I know we haven’t updated our export options for a while, so maybe we’ll get a chance to update them soon.

5. Itemized Bills on iOS

Please add the itemized split feature to iOS.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Average balance of a user

Add a stat which shows a user's average balance. This will actually imply monetary behaviour of a user over a period of time (and hence his generosity or lack of it). It's an easy to implement and yet cool feature.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea! We definitely like encouraging people to be responsible about paying each other back :) We’ve also considered a graph of your total balance over time, which would accomplish some similar things. We’re a bit tied up with Android work at the moment, but I’ll add this to our list of possible future improvements.

7. Change the Settle All balances

Team,
    The option of "Settle All balances" seems to be confusing, instead of this, can we not record a cash payment. Alternatively, this option should be read only since it is automated. We have also noticed that this is getting added automated when we record a cash payment but doesnt get deleted when we delete the cash payment.
    Looking forward to hear back from you.
    Thanks,
    Anuj

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We do plan to improve this feature at some point. We will most likely not make it read only (adding things you can’t edit or delete is rarely a good thing). You can currently record a cash payment and avoid this. To do so, you must record a payment separately in each group you owe money in instead of making one payment for everything.

Marshall

8. Add date range option to "Export as spreadsheet" function

Currently when I click the "Export as spreadsheet" link under Group Settings it gives me all of the transactions that have ever been recorded in the group. Since I use a group to track expenses with roommates, I like to export the data on a monthly basis, and it would be great if I didn't have to go back and delete all the old data from the beginning of the file each time.

Alternatively, the "view printable summary" already gives a nice monthly snapshot, so if there was a way to export that view to a spreadsheet, that would work…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good suggestion! We’ve talked about adding a date range to both the export and the monthly summary – it’s never quite made it to the top of the to-do list, but hopefully it will sometime soon. In the meantime, I’m sorry for the delay!

9. viewing graphs/trends for all months

I love the ability to see graphs of spending for a given month, but I'd really like to be able to see overall for a group as well. I'm on a roadtrip and it's kind of annoying that are expenses got split into two months' graphs because we started a week before June.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! This is definitely something we’d like to improve in the future, particularly for trips. I’m not sure exactly when graphs/trends will be getting an overhaul, but hopefully soon!

10. Support non-US date formats

Hi,

Can I suggest you add support for non-USA date formats. Only the USA uses MM/DD/YYYY (^1), so it would be nice to be able to choose to show dates as YYYY-MM-DD and DD-MM-YYYY as well. Ditto for the first day of the week being Sunday in the calendar: the international standards have Monday as the first day of the week.

Thanks,
    Pete

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dateformatby_country

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Sort/Filter by Currency

It would be great if we can filter the expenses by currency. If not then sort by currency is desirable. This would immensely help in managing the expenses with same currency

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you might want to try exporting as a spreadsheet (go to a friend/group, then click the settings icon at the top of the right column and choose “Export as spreadsheet”). You’ll then be able to sort or filter bills as you wish in Excel, Google Drive, or any other spreadsheet program.

12. Make downloadable spreadsheet reflect itemized bills

I use the "download as CSV" functionality quite a lot – it's helpful for getting a quick overview of all the data, and for checking what's changed since the last time I reviewed my transactions. But it would be a lot more useful if it also included item splits as separate rows.

Of course, you'd want these to be distinguishable as itemized rows. A few possibilities to allow this: leave off the date from item rows (so it's visually clear they're attached to the previous transaction); indent the description text with a few spaces; or prefix the item description with…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting…thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely see how that’d be useful for heavy users of itemized bills. Right now, itemized bills are only used by a small % of people, so this might take us some time to get around to, but I’ll share your idea at our next team meeting and add it to our list of possible improvements.

13. allow groups to be organized into a folder structure so that you can "hide" a bunch from the list.

So you could have a folder for "past trips" and minimize them. For example. (hi!!)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! :) We’d definitely like a better way to handle older groups, for finished trips and old apartments and the like. (It’s been on our to-do list for a while, we just haven’t gotten around to it yet.) I’ll add this to our list of ideas!

14. My share & expenses

The "view printable summary" in a group link shows some numbers which IMO are pretty useless.
    What anyone expects is:
    1) How much is my share?
    2) How much money did I pay?
    These two important questions are not answered at all by the numbers from the summary. Not only are they not answered but they cannot even be derived from the numbers in the summary rendering it useless.

Either the group or the summary should display these two parameters. As an example of what I expect and would be most convenient to all, check this image:
    http://postimg.org/image/tw2zbwplt/

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! The group page is unlikely to change – we’ve done a lot of research on what numbers are most important to show, and you can always click on the item for complete details – but I’ll pass on the suggestion for the summary, and see if we think it’s worth adding more details to that printout.

15. Viewing printable summary

Please add a feature to view the summary in a single list.
    Currently if expenses are spread across different months, there are different summary links for each month. I couldn't find a way to view the full summary via a single link.This would be helpful if a gr
    Please add this

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Good suggestion! We’ve talked about adding a date range to both the export and the monthly summary – it’s never quite made it to the top of the to-do list, but hopefully it will sometime soon. In the meantime, I’m sorry for the delay!

16. look into the expenses summary

When checking out the (printable) expenses summary it shows the received payments as expenses. So at the bottom line when it tallies up everything the totale expenses per person are higher than the actual expenses. I believe it should deduct the received payments to get a correct overview.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! I definitely understand your reasoning. Right now, the printable summary includes payments so that it can present an accurate total of how much your balance has changed during the month, taking into account both expenses and payments. In the future, hopefully we can separate out expense totals in a way that makes them clearer.

17. Adjust bar length in dashboard according to currency rates

I currently have both Dollars and Korean Wons in my Dashboard. Sadly, the bars of the dollar amounts are tiny, since they are overwhelmed by the 20,000 Wons. Interestingly enough, 20,000 Wons are just $20. You should do currency conversion and adjust the sizes accordingly.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry about this! We know the dashboard bar graph isn’t that great if you use multiple currencies – improving that is on our to-do list, but not very high priority, since very few of our users use multiple currencies. Still, we hope to update it at some point!

18. there should be individual settle button in Dashboard.

there should be a settle button against individual line items in dashboard. now i can see that who owe me or i owe who what. but i have to go to individual group/friend to settle up that amount. it'll be really good to have a individual settle button beside the line item say under a friend's name "you owe 450 for XXX".
    Thx

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on this suggestion! In the meantime, you should be able to settle up from the dashboard by clicking the green “Settle up” button above the list of balances, choosing a payment method, and then choosing the person you wish to pay back. Splitwise should automatically fill in the total amount that you owe that person. I hope that helps somewhat for now!

19. Allow select/deselect all in the simplify page

In the simplify option in settings, since there are a lot of check boxes, and I usually select all of them, it would be nice if there was a select all option.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. enable a user that he can export a list of expenses as PDF

As a user I want to be able to export my expenses (all expenses, only expenses with a certain person or [especially] expenses from one trip) as a PDF file so that I can use this PDF as base for settling up with others (especially after a trip).
    For me as a user this really helps me to have a kind of "proof" that someone ows me money. Especially for trips where I suggest friends to use splitwise the first time, they might not be fully convinved yet and want to calculate on their own if the costs on splitwise…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Makes sense! We actually have an export-to-spreadsheet for individual friends and groups already (on web only). If you click the settings/gear icon at the top of the right-hand column, you should see an option to “Export as spreadsheet”.

We’d definitely like to add a better, more human-readable version in the future, either as a PDF or just a printable webpage. Right now we’re more focused on Android and a few other things, but hopefully we’ll get around to it before too long!

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base