Skip to content

General

118 results found

1. Have number as first field, not description

I often times have a number in my head that I'm trying to remember so I'd rather have this field highlight first when I enter an expense. Then description. Otherwise I switch in a panic trying to remember the number ha I have a bad memory

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

So sorry for the trouble! We actually tested this out a lot the last time we redesigned our apps – you’re definitely not the only person who wants to enter the cost first, but we found that most people do want to enter a description before they enter a cost. I don’t think we’re likely to switch the order at this point, as it would probably throw off a lot of our old users. My apologies for the inconvenience!

2. Optimize app speed

In the past the app was lightning quick. After several updates with recent big UI changes everything is less responsive and more sluggish (at least for my 5S and my wife's 5). It can be very annoying to wait few seconds for new expense window to appear or to see how app reacts to touch with 1-2 seconds delay.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are planning to do this. I’m declining it only because there’s not a specific thing that we can check off here. “App should be faster” doesn’t give us a good guide on when we’ve completed the task, even though that’s what you want. We’re aware the current version is sluggish on some transitions.

Marshall

3. Household items/toiletries/cleaners expense and food share.

When one of the roommates purchases food or common household items like cleaners or paper towels or is constantly the one replacing these type of items; it would be nice to see a way to calculate their usage in order to properly pay for the necessities. I don't see that one person should be responsible for always buying these if they aren't the only one to use them. I had an issue a while back with a roommate not buying toilet paper because she said that she rarely was home and didn't think she used enough to really supply the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We have a couple of ideas similar to this, but it sounds like the fundamental issue is your roommate disagreeing about usage. It doesn’t seem like asking them to track usage is going to be very successful. If you get them to agree to a fair share ahead of time, we have the ability to split by percent and shares, which should work in that case.

Marshall

4. Keep track of personal expenses while in the group

When I am on a road trip with friends I may log expenses for myself to see the total cost of the trip (or my share). Even though app allows to do that, people freak out when see such transactions in their summary (with a total cost 0.00 for other group participants). It would be nice if such expenses do not show up in printable summary for the participant that are not involved, or hide those "you paid for yourself" transactions for other members of the group.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to add a feature like this – we generally like for all group members to be able to see all bills, even the ones they’re not involved in, because it often helps people to find and catch mistakes. For now, you may want to create a separate group for your personal expenses and save items there, which should still allow you to keep track of your totals (though you’ll still have to add those totals to the main group’s totals in order to get a picture of all total spending).

5. debt simplification on mobile app

I quite liked the Debt Simplification feature on the web app. Why can't we have a similar feature on the mobile app?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We support debt simplification for groups in our mobile apps (it’s under “Group settings”), but we don’t plan to add more advanced debt simplification features to mobile right now. We’ve found that more advanced versions of “simplify debt” cause a lot of confusion for most people, and that those simplifications are often really difficult to follow, especially when you’re not the one who added the simplification in the first place. Sorry for the trouble!

6. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’ve tried this in the past and found that it add significantly more stress and confusion in general because most people do not want to verify payments. So you wind up with most people just having a pile of “unverified” payments stressing them out.

Marshall

7. Opt out of a group

in some groups i dont participate and still i am in that group. add option to leave a group. unnecessarily i seeany expenses carried out in thaat group which i dint care aboit

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for any confusion. You can remove yourself from a group once your balance is 0 within the group. If you were added to any expenses in error, you can remove yourself from them by editing the bill.

Best,
    Jon

8. Confirmation of settle up

Because anyone can post settle up so why dont we have a confirmation for the receiver when he receives the money

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Romy! We are committed to keeping Splitwise ‘wiki-style’, meaning everyone can add/edit/delete things. It makes the app easier to use.

You can choose to get an email / push notification anytime someone adds a payment with you, and you can see a list of payments made (and other activity) in your ‘Recent Activity’ tab. I hope these measures will be enough to help you feel like you always know what’s going on.

Thanks for using Splitwise and best!
    Zoe

9. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to add itemized bill splitting to our mobile apps in the near future. Itemized bills aren’t a very frequently used feature on our website, and we haven’t found a good design yet for itemized splits on mobile. (Itemized bills usually require a large amount of typing and lots of checkboxes, and neither of those two things works very well on a smartphone screen.) I’m very sorry for the trouble!

10. Collapse expenses by month

Hi,
    In the expenses we have all listed our expenses under each month, can we have an header for each month, which can be expandable ? When you expand we should see all expenses under that month

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’re probably not going to do collapsable months in our mobile app, though we do hope to add the option to view summaries for each month at some point in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

11. to let people synchronize without internet connectivity

A pretty common usecase for splitwise is people being on vacation together. But data roaming charges are still excessive in many case, so it would be nice if you could synchronize between devices without internet connectivity - e.g. via Ad-Hoc Wifi connections, Bluetooth or NFC.

Of course this would require some kind of initial pairing, but that could be easily done with QR codes to be scanned or when all members of the group have internet connectivity.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This would definitely be cool, but it’d also take significant engineering effort, so we’re not likely to add ad-hoc syncing as a feature in the near future.

We do support offline mode in our iPhone app, and offline mode should be coming to Android next month. In those cases, the app allows you to add expenses locally on your phone, then syncs them back to the server the next time you have an internet connection. We think that should be enough for most use cases.

12. A better logo !!

I love the app, but as a graphic designer, I am a bit disturb by the icon of the app. You should draw it on a new perfect grid, find one single typography for everything, and maybe use a more shinny green...

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m very sorry you don’t like it! I don’t think we’re likely to change our logo or core design in the near future – we’re still pretty happy with our colors/font/etc, and right now we’re more concerned with building new features and fixing bugs.

If there are specific screens or UI elements that seem wrong to you, feel free to let us know at support@splitwise.com. Otherwise, my apologies for any eye sores!

13. Great idea, too many taps

Hello,

I finally found a good looking, good features' IOU app and I have to thank you. I also want to give some feedback from the few minutes I've played with it.

One has to tap to much and I feel that in these kind of things, that's not good because it starts to feel like a chore. For instance, when settling a debt a swipe should be enough.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  14. WP8 client tip calc whole $

Tip.calc needs to show whole number and calc based on that. Currently the slider moves through unknown % for a given tip.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. email notifications

Please stop forcing me to send emails to people when I want to track who I owe money to. The fact that I MUST send an email to someone before I can track something is invasive. You have a great app, but that part is a show stopper. Dont' MAKE people send emails. The fact that I track who I owe money to using an app on my iphone should be my choice to share, not a pre-req.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Splitwise is, at it’s core, a communication and fairness tool, not a private ledger. If you really want to keep a private ledger, add a group with your self and another person and simply leave the email blank when you add the other person.

Marshall

16. Option of DISABLE HIDDEN SETTLED BILLS!

Have the option for showing or hidding settled bills so they appear without having to click on "Show Settled Bills".

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add geotagging!

It would be awesome to have geotagged expense entries!!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting feature but it would take a good deal of work and wouldn’t be utilized for the vast majority of users. Geographic information can be added to the notes field for each expense.

18. Add face mapping filters on people's pictures

Add snapchat like filters on people's faces depending on who owes money and who is owed money to add more fun to the transaction experience.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make payment from screen that appears immediately after clicking on push notification

My workflow with Splitwise is usually as follows:

1. My roommate adds an expense and bills me
    2. I get a push notification of what I owe
    3. I click on the notification and splitwise opens

From the screen that opens, it'd be great to be able to have a 'Pay with Venmo' option right there, as it's what I want to do almost 100% of the time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in with this interesting idea! I can see how this would be useful for you. Most of our users don’t pay after every expense is added, so I think this might end up causing frustration/confusion for the majority of our users.

20. Include 'settled up' status updates in the group timeline. e.g. 'user xxxx is settled up as of xx/xx/xxxx'

Sometimes in the group activity, if there are multiple people (for example roommates) paying a single renter in the same house, the list of payments and bills can get pretty confusing. And when cash payments are recorded instead of the in-app payment system, it's not always easy to determine (or prove) that a user was all paid up before the latest bills were added. so if, in the timeline of activity, when a user makes payment in full and is considered 'settled up', it would be nice to have it reflected in that same timeline WITH a date stamp. this…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We do need to do a better of explaining why you owe what you owe. We have some other ideas for explaining where your totals are coming from that should help with this problem, but I’m not sure when they will be available.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base