Skip to content

General

750 results found

1. Make the "Add a Bill" pop up div draggable

When I click the orange "Add a Bill" button that brings up the pop-up div, many times I need to look at what's behind it as I type my new bill. Currently, I'll start typing, have to close the window, look at an old bill, and then open up the add a bill button again and start typing the bill all over again. If you could make the div draggable when the header is clicked and held, that would be awesome.

*** Note to developers: It only takes one line of jquery code to do this (and it's cross-browser of…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – this would definitely be nice!

Unfortunately, I suspect it may be more than just one line of code, as there are places where we use custom positioning logic for our pop-ups (to handle sliding sub-menus and such). Still, I’ll add it to our list of possible improvements for the future :)

2. make it easier to look through historical data.

My roommates and I are having trouble verifying who owes who what. We're considering moving back the google doc that we had because that interface is so much easier to look at historical logs.

Is there no way to just see a table of the history between two users? If there is make it more prominent.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Just to clarify: it sounds like you’re using a group, but want a better way to view only the transactions between two specific people, correct? I can pass on that suggestion.

Two existing features that might help somewhat (both web-only, and not in our mobile apps):

- Web only: In a group, you can hide all expenses that don’t involve you. Just go to your group, then click the gear/settings icon at the top of the right-hand column, and click on “Hide items not involving me”.

- Web only: You can also export all your bills to a spreadsheet. Go to your group, then click the gear/settings icon at the top of the right-hand column, and click on “Export as spreadsheet”. That may help if you’re trying to “verify” the total balances of each group member.

3. Show today's balances

It would be nice to have the option to show the money owed in current day. As an example, I have a 1:1 group and there are some upcoming bills, and it only shows up the total owed money including those bills. I want to have the possibility to see how much do I owe (or get back) today, including only the bills already paid.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  4. Debt Balancing

Debt simplification is awesome, but can get out of hand when people don't pay back their debts as the money can end up getting funneled to one person.

For example:
    In our situation we have a group for our apartment. We take advantage of splitwise so that people can easily buy things for other people and know its covered. We also have a recurring payment for rent which is paid by to one person (A) who then pays the bill itself. At the end of each month if everyone zeros out it's perfect. However if someone (B) comes up short…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve generally been careful not to add more features to debt simplification, since it already confuses a lot of people, but I’ll pass on this suggestion and see what the team thinks. Thanks for the idea!

5. Footer when logged in.

On other places in your site I'm able to access the calculators, about page, etc down at the bottom, but when I'm on the dashboard those links are missing. Need consistency. Love the site though overall!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on this feedback! We recently added a link to the calculators on the dashboard (in the right-hand sidebar), but the about page and others are definitely quite hard to find.

6. Dont block users (i.e. make them wait) when saving the current 'card'

When one clicks a 'save' button after entering the expenses, the app syncs the data from the server not in the background but allows the user to wait for the card to disappear, which might take a dozen of seconds to happen on a slow internet connection. I think you might have figured out by now that what needs to be done ;)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense, though I know there are also some technical concerns (such as what to do when saving the expense returns an error). Still, hopefully something we can add in a future update :)

7. Offer time banking!

I'm collaborating with a couple of friends on different projects and would love if you could add "Hours/Minutes" as a currency so we can use Splitwise as our time bank without having to decide and keep track of an artificial hourly rate.

Possible? Even prohibitive on the mobile version, how about a web app pilot? It would be a really progressive and fabulous thing to do.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Really cool idea (and thanks for posting here as well as via email) – we’ll definitely think about it once most people are not using the version of iPhone OS that doesn’t support it (because our custom currency support would have to apply across all systems).

- Jon

8. Allow a bill to send email notification to all involved

I see that you don't want to spam by enabling email notifications by default, but what if you allow the bill creator to check a box saying "notify all involved in this bill," and when you send the email, say "User X asked us to send this to you" (or something to that effect).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This a decent suggestion – I’ll pass it on, though I’m not sure it’ll get on the roadmap in the near future. We tend to err on the side of caution, because when we send emails without users’ permission, we often get flagged as spam or have to deal with angry replies :( But this makes sense, and would definitely be useful.

9. Upcoming payments instead of "You Owe"

When you put in a payment that is due a month later, the web app shows it as "You Owe" right up there. I think this gives off kind of an in-your-face feeling. It would be better to separate it into periods/sections, where you show payments due this month, upcoming payments next month, etc. You Owe makes me think I have to pay something right now, even though it's due a month later.

Hope you find this helpful.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve been hesitant to break up bills into months or other chunks of time, given the many different ways in which people use Splitwise, but I can see how this might be useful. I’ll pass on the suggestion at our next design meeting :)

10. Make it so you can use the iphone app upside down

This may sound a bit odd, but it's trivial to enable in xcode, I think.

I often use Splitwise on my ipad. Since you only have an iphone app, that's what I use.

I often prop up my ipad with the charging port facing up in portrait mode so I can charge it without the cable interfering. This doesn't work right with Splitwise, which will not run upside down like other ipad apps will.

I believe this is just a check box in xCode.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  11. add the "quick add" function in Dashboard and "All expenses"

just the same way it's already there if you click on a person.

I understand (and support) the compromise to "hide" this function in the drop down menu in the orange "Add a bill" button as most users don't use the function and would be possibly confused if it wouldn't be "hidden".

But I totally don't understand this lack of consistency where some orange "Add a bill" buttons have this pull down menu (the ones you see if you click on a person) and some other orange "Add a bill" buttons looking the same and being at the same position…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’d like to add quick-add to the dashboard and all expenses pages in the future, but we want to spend some time improving quick-add first. As it is now, quick-add could cause some unfortunate scenarios – say, adding a bill from the dashboard and accidentally splitting it with every single one of your friends, instead of just the one person you meant to.

Hopefully we’ll be able to spruce up quick-add and bring it to those other screens sometime in the not-too-distant future.

12. Connection with Foursquare

Can you connect with location based services such as Foursquare? It is wonderful to wait for this feature.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Cool idea! We’ve definitely thought about Foursquare connections to auto-tag expenses, and we’ll definitely think about it more if lots more folks think it would be cool.

- Jon

13. Unclear what "x paid you $# on splitwise" means

The payment isn't actually occurring through Splitwise, so I haven't actually been paid when I get that email. Would be great to integrate payment options of course!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the confusion! We definitely want to improve our wording for payments – we need to get better at explaining the difference between payments that DO involve actual money transfers (i.e. sending $ through our integration with PayPal) and payments that don’t (i.e. recording that you gave cash to a friend).

14. update pdf summaries of the months

the pdf summaries don't include rollover payments from previous months (if my roommates still owe me money last month it won't show effectively when looking at the pdf this month). also it says i owe my roommate when she actually paid me back for things she owes me for. the site is great, but if i ever needed to print out the pdf it would be all wrong.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Amount bars of friends on Dashboard

I think this is a simple hack, Friends are shown according to amount what they owe or I owe. Due to which if someone owes nothing or comparably very less amount then you have to abbreviate the name and on hover only you can know the details about amount and friends name.

Instead of this the bar which represents amount owed can be a box with light grey color which fills up according to amount owed. thus Friend's name and amount can be overlay-ed in same manner and always be visible. This way existing UI would be intact yet more…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. email batching

just made a bunch of changes to things, someone got 18 emails :/

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add a line graph over time.

Provide the option to display the value you owe over time. It would be nice to see how much you've paid off over time...Trends

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  18. Support Mozilla Persona for login

Currently I can only login via Facebook or use my email address and password to login. If your site supports Mozilla persona, then I'd not have to use passwords but still choose my email.

Please see: http://www.mozilla.org/persona/ for more information. It doesn't take a huge change on your backend, I'm sure. If you are interested please see: http://pyvideo.org/video/1764/beyond-passwords-secure-authentication-with-mozi-0

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Showing "owed" amounts one by one

When you click settle up, it shows the total amount between 2 friends. Add a link to see the owed items individually.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Itemize each persons 'debts'

I wish I could click on the persons name on the left hand of the screen, see how much I owe them, and break it down exactly by what I owe and why.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We try to do this already – when you click a person’s name on the left, it should bring up a screen that tells you their total balance with you, and lists all of the transactions you have with that person (and how much you owe/are owed for each).

Unfortunately, it’s hard to break this down further for groups that use debt simplification…but we’re working on it! We have some ideas, and hopefully you’ll see some updates in the next few months.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base