Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Keep track of personal expenses while in the group

When I am on a road trip with friends I may log expenses for myself to see the total cost of the trip (or my share). Even though app allows to do that, people freak out when see such transactions in their summary (with a total cost 0.00 for other group participants). It would be nice if such expenses do not show up in printable summary for the participant that are not involved, or hide those "you paid for yourself" transactions for other members of the group.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to add a feature like this – we generally like for all group members to be able to see all bills, even the ones they’re not involved in, because it often helps people to find and catch mistakes. For now, you may want to create a separate group for your personal expenses and save items there, which should still allow you to keep track of your totals (though you’ll still have to add those totals to the main group’s totals in order to get a picture of all total spending).

2. Be owed money but not specify who owes it

In my group, I bought something so the group owes me money, but I don't want to assign amounts to people in the group - I just want to notify everyone that I spent money and would like to be reimbursed (reimbursement would be up to them to figure out)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

One of the fundamental philosophies of Splitwise is that you should always be able to add up all the expenses and figure out why you owe what you owe. If we add some kind of nebulous non-owed debt, this stops being true.

Marshall

3. PayPal payment issue

I have settled payment through PayPal . But transaction fee didn't mention when I did payment. The transaction amount has been debited from my card. When making Payment please show up the split up of bills. Because of this I lost around 6 dollars.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we do not control the fees or the way the interface works when you make a PayPal payment. These are both handled by PayPal and not something we can change. We do have a generic warning about fees on the payment option page, but can’t tell if you’re going to have any or not.

Marshall

4. Have number as first field, not description

I often times have a number in my head that I'm trying to remember so I'd rather have this field highlight first when I enter an expense. Then description. Otherwise I switch in a panic trying to remember the number ha I have a bad memory

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

So sorry for the trouble! We actually tested this out a lot the last time we redesigned our apps – you’re definitely not the only person who wants to enter the cost first, but we found that most people do want to enter a description before they enter a cost. I don’t think we’re likely to switch the order at this point, as it would probably throw off a lot of our old users. My apologies for the inconvenience!

5. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  6. Optimize app speed

In the past the app was lightning quick. After several updates with recent big UI changes everything is less responsive and more sluggish (at least for my 5S and my wife's 5). It can be very annoying to wait few seconds for new expense window to appear or to see how app reacts to touch with 1-2 seconds delay.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We are planning to do this. I’m declining it only because there’s not a specific thing that we can check off here. “App should be faster” doesn’t give us a good guide on when we’ve completed the task, even though that’s what you want. We’re aware the current version is sluggish on some transitions.

Marshall

7. Excluding a Group from a User's Summary Expense Calculations

I have the requirement where I have to exclude a group expense from the total summary of a particular user. For example, I have a groups GP1, GP2, GP3 with users UR1 and UR2 and Myself in each of it. When I select user UR1, I find the total amount to owe/owed after a consolidated calculation. Instead of this method, I have to isolate GP2 from all the users when I select them. It should be independent even if I click a particular user. Can you provide some feature like this in the app?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We run into issues where people get confused by how balances add up and adding more complicated features to modify balances on top of that is not something we’ll do. If you want to see balances for each group separately, we do display that in each group. If you have some specific use case, please submit a support ticket with your use case so we can see if there’s some other feature or solution that might work for you.

Marshall

8. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

I’m not sure what your request is, but to look at a breakdown of items for which a person owes you, simply tap on their name in your friends list on Splitwise. It should show you details of expenses and balances with them inside and outside of all groups both of you are involved in.

9. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can already update someone’s name in Splitwise before they accept their invite by going into your friend settings. But once they join Splitwise, their display name is under their control. This works similarly to other social networks. Updating them in your contact book is not something we are going to keep checking long term, apologies.

Jon

10. ... add a "Savings" feature which calculates if a trip was economically profitable

A friend of mine and me are doing trips from Germany to Italy from time to time to buy mainly domestic food which is significantly cheaper there as in Germany (besides having a good time, of course ;)).

In addition to that large supermarkets have additional savings which reduce the total again.

Would be cool if Splitwise could consider these savings on bill-level to costs like fuel, tolls to tell us if and how economically profitable our trip was in total and for each of us!

Thanks!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,
    Unfortunately this is far too specific and would not be likely to benefit the vast user base so we would be unable to dedicate the time necessary to bring this to life.

11. Shares in itemized bills

Could it be possible to allow split by shares for a single item in itemized bills? Say i want to split the cost of an item 2 times to a person and 1 time to myself.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

While this would definitely be a nice-to-have feature, the use case is very very specific. A simple workaround is to add that specific item as a separate bill.

12. Splitwise with emojis

nice idea with the emojis but its way too messed up. A better job can be done with this to make it fun. but this is just too shabby and irritating to use.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

The complete emoji translation of the site is just our April Fool’s joke as us going “overboard” after we added emoji support to the app so you can have them in expenses, group names, etc. While there is a clear logic to the selection of emoji and they remain consistent throughout the site, it is not intended to be used long term over your actual language.

13. Payment split

It would be logical, if remainder of the division would go to person, who enters expense. Now it goes randomly

In example: person 1 enters expense 17,47 and splits it on 3 parts. Then person 1 should share 5,83 and other 2 persons 5,82 each. Now this 5,83 can go to anyone :)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We used to do it that way, but got a lot of complaints because it’s unfair if there’s one person in a group who pays for a lot of expenses. Randomly assigning the extra pennies is the only way to be fair in the long run.

Marshall

14. Remove contact list in individual expenses

It would be great if adding friend to an expense an option rather than the first thing you see for "non-group expenses" given that this category is for personal expenses.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Non-group expenses is actually intended for expenses with friends that are not included in a group (many people split expenses without using groups). If you’re just tracking your own expenses, I would recommend creating a group called Personal with yourself as the only member and track the expenses in there.

Marshall

15. Add a small edit. Where we can add friends' photos on their profile

I would like to see at a glance which friends I'm splitting bills with. So instead of a generic icon of a person, I'd like to add a pic of theirs to their profile

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see how this might be useful, but Splitwise is designed to be used with everyone on the same page, i.e all your friends should be able to sign up on Splitwise and see their balance with you. That is why only your friends can change their own name and profile picture on Splitwise, since it is a part of their profile.

16. Expense Check

When person A adds expense & splits with person B, then B should be able to mark it checked when satisfied/verified the expense. so that B reviews only other expense next time. The check mark should be unchecked if there is change or update in the checked expense. This is helps a lot when tracking expense in group that are added over a period of time.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

I apologize, but I’m going to decline your request. I can understand why some people would want explicit confirmations, but this is a very core decision we made long ago and confirmations are too clunky for Splitwise.

Recent Activity is our answer to seeing what has changed. If you have an ideas/issues with the way Recent Activity works, please post it as a suggestion or email support with questions.

Best,
    Jon

17. Search group by group owner id

It would be great if there is an option to search group and send request to the group for joining, rather than group owner adding everybody to the group.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, we consider this a security risk, since it would allow you to view the names of any groups that your friends belong to. (For example, many people use their address as the name of their group, so this might allow you to look up someone’s home address without their permission.) For now, you’ll have to ask an existing group member to either (a) add you to the group manually or (b) send out the group share link, which allows anyone to join the group by following a special link. Sorry for the trouble!

18. Allow people to search for existing users

I know my friend has a splitwise account, but since I don't have his email I can't add him to my group. You should be able to search for someone's name if they have an existing splitwise account and be able to add them from there. It's extremely frustrating to have someone who owes me money tell me they're on splitwise and then have them stop responding when I ask them what email they used.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Very sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately we don’t have plans to allow you to search for users by name :(

Most names on Splitwise are not unique – for example, there are hundreds of Splitwise users named “Scott”, and many do not include a last name. There are also security and abuse concerns, as search-by-name could be used to easily add debts with people who you do not actually know.

My apologies for the inconvenience! I realize this is a pain, but because Splitwise works in a very open manner (e.g. you don’t have to manually approve every friend request you receive), we require an email address or phone number to help verify that you know the other person.

19. Put full list of who pays who in printable summary

I made a group for a trip. After entering all expenses and simplifying debts, I wanted to send out a list showing A pays B $X, B pays C $Y, etc. But as far as I can tell, that information is only available by hovering over each name in the group one by one, so it's not easy to get a complete view of what is going on.

Can that list be put into the printable summary?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m only declining this because we have a different view that shows this information. If you go to the group and look at the balances on the right, you should see a link to “view full details”. This will show you the exact repayment breakdown for everyone in the group.

Marshall

20. add sub coloumn.

if in a group I add groceries then there should be area to add individual items so that everyone can see distribution of total. life if total is 100 then inside should also show 30 for milk 60 for bread and 10 for sauce. thanks

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have a feature like this on our website (“itemized bills”), but unfortunately we don’t have any plans to add that feature on mobile right now. We’ve tried designing it, but it always feels like way too much work to add tons of individual items on a mobile device, where there’s less space onscreen and typing is more difficult. For now, your best solution on mobile is probably to include information about the items that you split in the expense notes, or to attach a picture of the receipt to the expense. Apologies for the inconvenience!

1 2 8 10 12 18 19

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base