Skip to content

General

186 results found

1. add the "quick add" function in Dashboard and "All expenses"

just the same way it's already there if you click on a person.

I understand (and support) the compromise to "hide" this function in the drop down menu in the orange "Add a bill" button as most users don't use the function and would be possibly confused if it wouldn't be "hidden".

But I totally don't understand this lack of consistency where some orange "Add a bill" buttons have this pull down menu (the ones you see if you click on a person) and some other orange "Add a bill" buttons looking the same and being at the same position…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We’d like to add quick-add to the dashboard and all expenses pages in the future, but we want to spend some time improving quick-add first. As it is now, quick-add could cause some unfortunate scenarios – say, adding a bill from the dashboard and accidentally splitting it with every single one of your friends, instead of just the one person you meant to.

Hopefully we’ll be able to spruce up quick-add and bring it to those other screens sometime in the not-too-distant future.

2. Allow fixed and percentage splitting

I used to use billmonk and it had an awesome feature which splitwise is lacking. It is the ability to split by fixed amount and percentage.

eg. Total bill: $38.50

UserA: $10.30
    UserB: 1/2 of remainder
    UserC: 1/2 of remainder

Of course, if there were more users, it will be 1/3, 1/4 of remainder.
    Would be great to see this feature implemented!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Anon,

Thanks for the cool suggestion. Yes, there have been a couple situations where I would have done this myself. Our new Plates app for iPhone can do this for dinner bills, and I’ve certainly found it useful there.

Cheers,
    Jon

3. build a feature that lets someone add an expense now but select a later date (or multiple dates) for it to "hit"

Just sent this to the "contact support" group....

I'd love a feature that allows me to add an expense immediately but choose a later date or dates at which it will be added to expense calculations. Some possible choices:

-simple "save until next month" option
    -select the specific date that it will be included in group calculations
    -spread the cost across the next 3, 6, or 12 months
    -hold for low expense month: Splitwise knows average monthly cost and automatically drops expense into month with below-average expenses

Thanks! I use this tool for many groups, including managing a 7-person house.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed suggestion! I can definitely see how this’d be useful, though we’d want to be careful and make sure the extra options don’t cause undue confusion. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements to discuss :)

4. Have all details viewable (comments, notes, etc.) for all transactions, including deleted ones.

I add comments on transactions before I delete them, noting why they were deleted.

I can see the details of deleted transactions on Splitwise Mobile App, but I cannot see them on the web app.

Please allow us to see all details. :)

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to group expenses in Graphs

Being able to have a graphical report in Splitwise is what made try it this month for the household expenses. But I would like to have the option to see the graph of expenses with the overall category. For example: not just "cinema", "dining out", etc. but the option to see all "entertainment" as one slice of the graph, as well as "housing" and "utilities". That would be more very helpful for budgeting - again the reason I'm trying Splitwise (and Pro)

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add kittens to the web app!

This is pretty silly and probably more complex than it seems but it would be awesome if you added kittens to the web app somewhere. Unless you have and I've missed them...

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Textbox for Quantity

Next to the $ text box add a text box for Quantity which will help reduce the amount of time the user when entering itemized bills

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  8. Should allow sending invites to friends of friends

When I see a transaction of which I am part of, I should be able to directly invite other people in that transaction.

It's probable that I want to add them to another bill but at the moment I have to invite them by their email id's (which might turn out to be different from the one they use for splitwise)

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. summary of all the expenses per category

It would be very usefull to know how much each one has spent since the creation of the account for each category.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea – I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting!

In the meantime, you can already view monthly category summaries on the web by going to a friend/group/all expenses and clicking the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand column. Then click the “view full charts” link at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar.

Alternately, you could try exporting your expenses with any friend or group to a spreadsheet, and then building charts from that.

10. Enable a toggle between simplify debts "on" and "off"

"Simplify debts" is by far the easiest way to get squared up, say, at the end of the month. However, it confuses the heck out of some of my friends who get confused by the idea of owing a whole bunch of money to one person to whom they might not owe anything directly (eg "Why do I own $100 to person A? She never lent me money" "well it's because you own person B money, and person B owes person A" ... you get the idea.

If you could quickly toggle between the simplified and unsimplified debts, it would…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! We definitely want to make “simplify debts” a bit clearer, though we’ve had trouble successfully doing that. (That’s actually one of the reasons it’s buried in the settings now – some people used to turn it on and off quite frequently, and then OTHER members of their groups would get confused about why their balances were changing.) I like the idea of a temporary toggle, though, to just “preview” what the group would look like the other way. I’ll pass on the feedback and see if we can add it to our list of future updates :)

11. Spit Tip equally (separate from itemised bill and tax)

When eating out it makes sense to split the bill as per who ordered what, but with a tip an option to split equally would be nice.

Sometimes the dishes aren't too far apart in price and you are paying for the service, so we frequently split the tip equally.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  12. Different FOREX for each member of group

When I travel I regularly use different currencies and so do my friends. Between every two pair of people there is a preferred currency of settlement and there is a set of currencies which they have access to. It would be great if people could choose which currencies they would like to be settled with in each transaction and people could define which currencies they are able to pay with (groupwise or at the transaction level). Splitwise would do its magic in when simplifying debt and would determine who owes who and what in which currency.
    Splitwise could also offer…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I know Splitwise isn’t perfect for people using large numbers of currencies all at once, and that’s something we want to keep improving over time. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the future :)

13. Integrate Square Cash Mail-to and Yodlee Payment Integration

1. Any plans to integrate square cash into the platform? They don't have an API, but you could integrate the mail-to functionality to trigger an email. I really hate using Venmo and still leave your site to make payments.

2. Have you considered integrating Yodlee into your platform? I currently use a combination of BillGuard and Splitwise. I think combining the two would be incredible. You could have a real time feed into splitwise of your most recent charges and then decide if you want to split them. You'd be able to monetize your app by charging a subscription for banking integration.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  14. Add an option to select first day of week

Add an option under profile to select the first day of the week: Monday or Sunday.
    This option is then taken into account when showing the calendar / date selector.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion! We always appreciate ideas to make Splitwise better. Having support for a different first day of the week makes complete sense, and is most definitely an interesting suggestion.

15. Allow Manual Date Entry without Calendar Picker

I think it would be much easier if the date field in an expense allowed you to type the date, in a format such as MM/DD (defaulting to current year) or even MM/DD/YYYY, instead of requiring the use of the date picker. Having to use my mouse and click in the date picker slows me down when adding a lot of expenses.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Custom Labels

Been using your app for a while now, it's pretty sweet!

Thought it might be cool to be able to add my own custom labels to bills. Similar to the 'Recurring' labels that automatically gets added to bills. That way I would be able to mark bills as 'Paid' or add other useful information that is relevant to my room mates and should be visible at a glance.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting – I can see how this would be useful. I’ll add it to our list of possible future updates. For the time being, you could try using the “Notes” field to accomplish something similar, though obviously it’s a bit more buried (you’d need to click on each expense to view its “labels”).

17. Itemized Bills should not show Tax and Tips in comments if they are all zeros

Whenever I enter new Itemized Bill, in comments it always display the details which is really good except the fact that Tax and Tips still show up even though they are all zeros.
    I would like to request an improvement which would only allow Tax and Tips to appear on comments if they are having atleast one non zero value.

Great Site! Really Helpful.

Thanks

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Monthly billing

Me and my roommates settle up our bills at the end of each month. Would like option to see monthly billing, so that we can settle bills for each month and not carry over.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you might try clicking the “view printable summary” link at the top of each month – it should give you a summary of bills for just that month.

19. Chrome extension

Most people open famous web apps through extensions.
    So it would be great if you build an extension for splitwise as this would really support browser users

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  20. Show contacts that have a balance with a different color.

Why not show the little person icon next to the friends name with a color? Red if you owe them, Green if they owe you? Sometimes you want so see who owe you money individually and I have to go through each contact to see if they owe me or not.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We actually tested this at one point and thought that it ended up looking too distracting, but it might be worth reconsidering. I’ll pass on a note about this. In the meantime, you can always get a list of everyone who you have a balance with from the Dashboard screen. Apologies for any inconvenience!

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base