General

1. House Utilities

Would it be possible to add an icon/option for Security under Home? In our house, we all split the monthly cost of Security Monitoring. This just seems like a useful categorization as others who use Simplisafe or a DIY security system with monitoring. This is just the OCD side of me wanting more icons! Anyway, love the app. Very helpful!!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [BUG] Tab order in group creation messy

Tab order in Group creation under /groups/new is wonky after you've added a bunch of extra people.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Debt Balancing

Debt simplification is awesome, but can get out of hand when people don't pay back their debts as the money can end up getting funneled to one person.

For example:
    In our situation we have a group for our apartment. We take advantage of splitwise so that people can easily buy things for other people and know its covered. We also have a recurring payment for rent which is paid by to one person (A) who then pays the bill itself. At the end of each month if everyone zeros out it's perfect. However if someone (B) comes up short…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve generally been careful not to add more features to debt simplification, since it already confuses a lot of people, but I’ll pass on this suggestion and see what the team thinks. Thanks for the idea!

4. Printable Summary for NonGroup Expenses

Like a printable summary for each separate group, is it possible to get a printable summary for non-group expenses

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll add this to our list of possible features for the future. For now, you could try exporting a spreadsheet from the friend screen – you can only do it for one friend at a time, but it’ll list all of your non-group expenses with that particular person.

5. the left pane lists like "friends" and "groups" should be collapsible

The left pane lists like "Friends" and "Groups" can be a long one. I suggest you allow them to be collapsible (by clicking on the list name or something similar) and allow that state to be saved for convenience and a cleaner appearance for users with long lists (like me).
    P.S. Splitwise is great. Please keep it up!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear you. Friends and groups in the app are slightly unwieldy and difficult to access, and we are planning a redesign of the Android app to address those issues.

6. add increase/decrease buttons next to shares number fields

Every time I use this feature I think about how nice it would be to not touch the keyboard while increasing shares ;)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. save data form data locally

As I was creating an expense, I accidentally clicked outside the modal window, which cleared all the data I entered. This is very annoying. It should persist locally.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, this annoys me too :) I think we’re hoping to do some web cleanup work later this summer and fall, so I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements.

9. Footer when logged in.

On other places in your site I'm able to access the calculators, about page, etc down at the bottom, but when I'm on the dashboard those links are missing. Need consistency. Love the site though overall!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on this feedback! We recently added a link to the calculators on the dashboard (in the right-hand sidebar), but the about page and others are definitely quite hard to find.

10. Color Coding of Paid column.

A nice to have would be:
    The column that shows who paid could use a different color for each person who pays. For instance I have Zac, Kyle, and Myself (Erza) in my group, my color would be black. Kyle could be blue and Zac could purple. This would allow me to look at glance who paid more often. I do like the the orange and green column that shows how much was lent/borrowed. Icing on the cake would be having the ability to assign each group member a color.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! I know in the past we’ve considered additional things to indicate who paid – small user icons, for instance. (I believe we decided against that in order to keep the interface cleaner and less cluttered.) I’ll add this to our list of possible ideas and see what the rest of the team thinks.

11. Keep debts on PDF summary until paid

I love splitwise. One thing I have a problem with though is remembering old debts. I have a couple things people owe me for that are beyond a month old so there for they no longer show up on the summary. The amounts of those items do carry over at the bottom but that is no good if we can't remember what the debt was for (i.e I paid someone's share of the Christmas decorating expense) having a name attached to older debts is really helpful so everyone can remember

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Showing "owed" amounts one by one

When you click settle up, it shows the total amount between 2 friends. Add a link to see the owed items individually.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. can total Owes you amount be in other color rather light green

can total Owes you amount be in other color rather light green? and split among groups in light green?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. send out a bit of details while simplifying debts.

bravo for all your efforts team! we have been using the app for a long period of time now. A couple weeks back you guys introduced a logic that would simplify/adjustdebts accordingly. While most of auch simplifications are trivial, some are not! And the intimation mail only mentions that splitwise has adjusted debts, I request you guys to add a set of details in the same mail, which may include who all were included and before/after of debt amouts. I am also a developer, I guess this would not be a hefty change ;-) Thanks guys, keep rocking!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’d love to include better details when simplifying debts, but it’s actually surprisingly hard to show those details in an intelligent way :) The math is very simple, but we’ve found that showing the complete data often confuses people – especially in very old groups, where the “unsimplified” totals might include thousands of dollars of payments to each other (which all cancel each other out).

Still, we definitely want to show more information! Hopefully we’ll be able to try a few new designs this year and find something that works. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

15. "Pay all" or auth queue when settling up

When I settled up I owed 3 different people. They all take Venmo. I had to go through "Settle Up" 3 times, each time hitting "Settle Up", then "Venmo" again, then authenticating w/ Venmo again - each time, it was just doing the top payment off the list.

Should either be a way to bulk-process, or, if not supported by their API, at least do a queue so it prompts me for the next person I owe.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback Andy! I understand why this would be useful. You’re right — Venmo API wouldn’t support this — but I will bring the idea of queueing payments up on our side next time the team discusses ‘Settle Up’.

Cheers, Zoe

16. Chart preparation

I had this wonderful idea regarding improvement of splitwise. I feel splitwise app should also have a built-in function that will help the people using it to prepare their monthly expense after dividing it in group wise..that is for every group he should be able to see how much did he spend with respect to individual group! How does this sound ?? I think its cool and boost the popularity because everyone needs to account for their expense and what better way to do it when splitwise will help them!!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Pujan, thanks for the suggestion! We definitely want to get better at things like this.

Have you seen the monthly charts section on our website? If you open a group, then click the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand column, and then click the “View full charts” link, you should be able to see all of your own spending for the group that month, split into individual categories. It’s not perfect, but it may help you until we find time to work on some better chart features :)

17. add autocomplete (from keyboard) from currencies USD

currently inserting bills in other currencies than USD is painful.
    I would like to click on "$" sign and quickly type e.g. EUR, PLN, GBD or something and press enter to have this currency used.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. email batching

just made a bunch of changes to things, someone got 18 emails :/

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. can add additional feature of having graphic trends per individual per month

I would like to see graphical analysis of my expenses per group, all groups in selectable period (Date between/ Monthly)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Abhinav,

You can see our current best analysis by category by month by going to: splitwise.com

1. Either navigate the group you are interested in or All Expenses
    2. Click the Trends widget on the upper right, and then view full charts

Custom defined periods would have to be a pro feature – that is very expensive computationally to do for us at present. You can also export group level data to csv via the gear in the upper right → Export as spreadsheet to do your own analysis if you want custom ranges.

I hope this helps!
    Jon

20. Chart legend sorted by percentage

Currently Charts legend is sorted by pie slices order (probably Google Visualisation's default). But it would be useful to have it ordered in descending order or as a separate table that can be sorted.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have plans to revisit the charts in the future and improve them based on data we’ve received. However with our small team it is hard to give an estimate as to when this will happen. The best course is to subscribe to this thread which we’ll update when the feature has been completed.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base