Skip to content

General

118 results found

1. Need an option to exclude expense from the calculation

Consider the following situation. I am lending some money to my friend. I don't know when he able to return it. If it's in normal owing list, I have to manually subtract that money for the calculations. So I can mark it as excluding list. In this scenario I won't forget the amount and also no need to calculate it manually or store it in some other apps or Google sheet. Please consider this request.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

I’m not completely sure what you’re proposing. If you want to keep track of a loan given to a friend, and if it doesn’t contribute towards your balance with the friend, then how would you remember that you friend owes you that money?

2. Sharing grocery lists

Can we get a tab for sharing grocery lists? One tab that autoupdates to which all members of a household can contribute and check mark things off?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This would be more appropriate for a grocery list app and wouldn’t be part of Splitwise’s core. As such we’d be unlikely to be able to dedicate the time necessary to create an entire sub app within Splitwise.

3. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, due the way our infrastructure is built, making this kind of change is not something we’re able to do at the moment.

Marshall

4. Customized date range to track the expense

We generally settle our bills around 10th of every month. So, instead of keeping track of expense every month starting from 1st to end of that month, I would like to keep track of my expense with some customized date.
    i.e. let say i customized my month as 10th May - 9th June, 10th June - 9th July and so on..

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately too much of the world keeps track of things on a monthly basis so this feature would not be widely utilized and would more often than not confuse people.

5. 14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

6. Expenses entered should be deleted/updated only by the person who entered it.

Person who created the expense only should be able to delete/update the expense. What if someone deletes the expense? I see a explanation saying "What if someone inserts an incorrect expense? Then everyone should be able to delete the incorrect expense", in this case the people involved in the expense can settle among themselves and request the person who inserted the expense to delete. But what if someone deletes a correct expense?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

If someone deletes a correct expense or a group, it is very easy to undelete in one tap from your recent activity feed. (If someone edits an expense incorrectly, the old version is referenced as a comment on the new expense.) We don’t believe administrative control is the best way to keep things friendly.

7. Only Lent Person should be able to Settle Up from his account

When the bills are settled up, it should be done from the person who lent the money and not from the person who owes the money coz this may lead to fraud settlement

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We built Splitwise with the intention of keeping everyone on the same page with shared expenses, so anyone can add, edit, or record payments. There is a record of all of this kept in Recent Activity, so if there is a dispute, you can always reference the Recent Activity page. You also have the ability to delete the payment even if it was not recorded by you.

8. paym integration

curious if paym integration is in the works, would remove some friction when paying colleagues. Awesome service!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Need approval of spender during settlement.

it should need approval from the spender/lender while settling an expense. otherwise, for a huge group comprising of large number of transactions, it's hard to track/validate when some got settled and whether it's authentic.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

You can always edit the payment at a later date to add notes that it is confirmed or add comments to the payment to say that you have confirmed it.

Marshall

10. Allow the owner(the person who has paid the amount) to approve/decline the settlement given by others

Now the application allows anyone in the group to edit the amount, settle the amount even though they haven't paid. There should be an option for the owner who enters bill to approve or decline the changes made by other members, for example, if someone chooses amount settled then the owner has to get an option to approve or decline it. And if other members edit the amount paid , owner should get a notification to approve or decline it. So the person who has paid the amount will have a control over managing expenses.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

You can also get notifications through email or push notifications for expenses being added, deleted or edited.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

11. Optimize app speed

In the past the app was lightning quick. After several updates with recent big UI changes everything is less responsive and more sluggish (at least for my 5S and my wife's 5). It can be very annoying to wait few seconds for new expense window to appear or to see how app reacts to touch with 1-2 seconds delay.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We are planning to do this. I’m declining it only because there’s not a specific thing that we can check off here. “App should be faster” doesn’t give us a good guide on when we’ve completed the task, even though that’s what you want. We’re aware the current version is sluggish on some transitions.

Marshall

12. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  13. Have number as first field, not description

I often times have a number in my head that I'm trying to remember so I'd rather have this field highlight first when I enter an expense. Then description. Otherwise I switch in a panic trying to remember the number ha I have a bad memory

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! We actually tested this out a lot the last time we redesigned our apps – you’re definitely not the only person who wants to enter the cost first, but we found that most people do want to enter a description before they enter a cost. I don’t think we’re likely to switch the order at this point, as it would probably throw off a lot of our old users. My apologies for the inconvenience!

14. IOUs to people with out email or phone number

Whilst I understand the rationale of entering email ID / phone number for your friend on splitwise, there are cases where you meet a bunch of friends + one random person. In this case, I am sure to onboard all my friends to splitwise, however because I can't add a person (that I barely know) without email ID, I cannot spit the bill easily. I now need to calculate the bill outside splitwise and create entries per splitwise contact

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request. We used to support this, but found that is caused a lot more problems than it solved. If you really need to do this, you can add a friend as anything@example.com and it will let you create a dummy account (any prefix at the @example.com suffix will create an account without a real email address).

Marshall

15. Household items/toiletries/cleaners expense and food share.

When one of the roommates purchases food or common household items like cleaners or paper towels or is constantly the one replacing these type of items; it would be nice to see a way to calculate their usage in order to properly pay for the necessities. I don't see that one person should be responsible for always buying these if they aren't the only one to use them. I had an issue a while back with a roommate not buying toilet paper because she said that she rarely was home and didn't think she used enough to really supply the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We have a couple of ideas similar to this, but it sounds like the fundamental issue is your roommate disagreeing about usage. It doesn’t seem like asking them to track usage is going to be very successful. If you get them to agree to a fair share ahead of time, we have the ability to split by percent and shares, which should work in that case.

Marshall

16. Settle up should have Accept or Reject

If someone settles up. It should allow you to accept before the payment is recorded as settled.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – we’ve tried this approach in the past and found it didn’t work well. If you’d like to reject a payment by someone else, we’ve found it’s just as easy to delete it.

Best,
    Jon

17. Reverse order of expense name and expense amount on mobile

When entering an expense on the mobile app, I often find myself trying to type the amount into the name field. This is because I'm usually at the register, and have the number top of mind. Compared to the name, the amount is harder to remember and easier to forget. It'd be easier to go back and add the name later: I'm more likely to remember that I went to CVS than I am to remember that I spent 17.63 there. It'd be great to have the option to reverse the order of the name and amount fields, at least…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! We’ve actually done a ton of testing on this, because people tend to have strong instincts one way or another – you’re definitely not the only person to accidentally enter the cost in the description field :) We ultimately found that description, then cost was the most “common” order, so that’s what we’ve gone with. I don’t think we’re likely to add a custom setting for this, but it is still on our list of things to think about – maybe we can come up with some clever improvements in the future.

18. PayPal payment issue

I have settled payment through PayPal . But transaction fee didn't mention when I did payment. The transaction amount has been debited from my card. When making Payment please show up the split up of bills. Because of this I lost around 6 dollars.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we do not control the fees or the way the interface works when you make a PayPal payment. These are both handled by PayPal and not something we can change. We do have a generic warning about fees on the payment option page, but can’t tell if you’re going to have any or not.

Marshall

19. Be owed money but not specify who owes it

In my group, I bought something so the group owes me money, but I don't want to assign amounts to people in the group - I just want to notify everyone that I spent money and would like to be reimbursed (reimbursement would be up to them to figure out)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One of the fundamental philosophies of Splitwise is that you should always be able to add up all the expenses and figure out why you owe what you owe. If we add some kind of nebulous non-owed debt, this stops being true.

Marshall

20. Keep track of personal expenses while in the group

When I am on a road trip with friends I may log expenses for myself to see the total cost of the trip (or my share). Even though app allows to do that, people freak out when see such transactions in their summary (with a total cost 0.00 for other group participants). It would be nice if such expenses do not show up in printable summary for the participant that are not involved, or hide those "you paid for yourself" transactions for other members of the group.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to add a feature like this – we generally like for all group members to be able to see all bills, even the ones they’re not involved in, because it often helps people to find and catch mistakes. For now, you may want to create a separate group for your personal expenses and save items there, which should still allow you to keep track of your totals (though you’ll still have to add those totals to the main group’s totals in order to get a picture of all total spending).

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base