Skip to content

General

51 results found

1. Display the old and new balances for each person involved in Debt Simplification

Debt simplification is a very good idea, but it lacks one most important thing. The old and new balances for each participant with the friends they simplified with. This is causing a lot of confusion, as to who was owing how much before the debt was simplified. So, it is urgently required if you could add the details about how much each person paid and how much each person gets back after the debt simplification.

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Make a show math option.

I think there should be a way to see how the math works out for everyone, because me and my roommates get very confused every once in a while.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Showing the breakdown of the simplification is something that we are going to be doing in a future update. I agree that showing how we got the totals we did within the debt simplification would be extremely helpful to our users (and myself!)

3. Selecting members involved

I have a big list of people and selecting people involved in a bill is a pain in the butt to me, as I have to scroll down and painstakingly look at all the ones. I suggest that if you have several columns ( as in a grid with all the people) it will be so much easy to check the people involved and check my checks as-well.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. An itemized bill that is not yet paid by anyone, but owed by a group separately

Monthly bills could require contribution from different people. In the days of electronic payments, it is possible that a group of people share a single bill, but pay their contribution separately. For instance, a small company's employees share a single cellular business plan, but pay their own portions personally.

So the entire total is not paid by one person, and other people in the group paying that person back. Rather, it is a shared bill being paid for by each person in the group, for their contribution. It would be good to use as a tool to track whether other…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Sync with Gmail contacts when entering email addresses for a group

When I create a group, I should be able to access Gmail contacts when I enter their addresses

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix recurring item edits

Recurring items should have a start date and an end date. When My apartment lease came to an end, I had to "delete" the expense, which actually ended up deleting the last time it occurred, rather than all the future occurrences! Not intuitive behavior, and it was not clear that would happen.
    Thanks

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re working on the messaging of how our expenses (especially ones like recurring bills) work as we speak.

This does sound like something that we need to address for sure. Thanks so much for letting us know!

8. Events rather than bills

It would be easier if you added an "events" category, for situations when several persons pay for the same event.
    In my case, we hold several times a week big dinners in a shared household. Let's say we are 10 having dinner, I'll go groceries shopping for 40 €, my friend Paul will buy bread for 4 € and my friend Sarah will buy meat at the butcher's for 60 €. Right now, I need to add three bills for one single dinner, copying each time the same information about participants and number of shares. I'dd much rather add an…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re about to make some big changes when it comes to how groups interact with our one on one friendships. These changes will help ease the pain of the situation you’re describing.

I think that being able to tag things (like this dinner) without having to create a group or add it 3 times would be great.

9. 4 Weeks doesn't = 1 Month

The app has a small flaw. When you say monthly in your app.. you tend to mean every month from the 4th to the 4th for example.. However my bills are every 4 weeks which is not quite every month. It would be good to have an option which says every 4 weeks as well as every month that way we know and can set alarms for each due date. Another handy thing would be to be able to set up different reminders for each person for the same bill. IE she gets paid fortnightly and I get paid monthly…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see how this would throw a wrench in your billing cycle. I’d personally like our users to be able to custom pick reminder dates, and it’s something we’ve talked about internally. I’ll bring it up at our next meeting and see if/when we can get that on our schedule.

10. please triple the photo dimensions

What is the point of taking a photo of the receipt if the text is too small to read on the end result? This is a problem right now as the photo is way to small when clicking on the thumbnail to display the original.

If this has been scaled down on the mobile phone to save network traffic when uploading, then please add a admin option to let the user upload large-scaled(high-traffix) images. Otherwise there is no real value in this function.

If the images has not been scaled down on the mobile phone, and you have a larger…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are some annoying technical limitations to our photo size. At some point we’ll fix this, but it’s not simple enough to put together easily at the moment.

Marshall

11. Expenses Report

In the PDF report, we have date,description,cost & balance columns in individual member's page.It will be gr8 if you add column "Expenses By" which should contain name of person who has spent money on this transaction.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  12. [BUG] splitting expense by shares calculation isn't accurate

A lot of the times I am trying to split a bill between friends for food. I want to know how much I owe based on the price of my item, and how much we paid after taxes and tip. Owed = (total w/ taxes & tip) * (pre tax price / pretax total)

I try to do this with shares instead, so for an item for $15.50 I will enter as 1550 shares. The problem is, this calculation is rounded too much and the amount I owe is not deterministic.

For example, my friends ordered items that are $15.50,…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We designed this feature around the idea that a couple might take two shares on an expense or a family might take 4 shares to avoid needing to have everyone on the expense, so the system currently calculates all the shares to the exact penny, with some getting an extra penny when rounding is necessary. As you noted, with large numbers of shares, the extra pennies get randomly assigned with a much larger variation than would be ideal.

In theory, over time the way the extra pennies get assigned will be fair, but the next version of the Android app will use a different methodology that will handle these cases with much less variation. Most cases will not vary at all, but in some rare situations you might see the exact rounding vary by 1 penny.

13. MULTIPLE FRIENDS ADD

I NEED A PAGE 4 MANAGING FRIENDS, ADD, DELETE ...MULTIPLE FRIENDS, WITH AT A GLANCE VIEW OF ALL THE FRIENDS

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. Show how bills are settled using a cool visual aid.

This idea came from a bout of minor confusion I had when looking at the results of the "settle up" function. I was surprised to see that despite knowing that I owed various people money, the result I saw on screen was that I actually just owed one person. After some chin scratching, I realized that of course the bills were being aggregated together so as to minimize the number of payments needed to settle up. That being said, I'm not sure that everyone who uses this service will reach that conclusion, especially if they've had a long day at…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Recently we’ve been thinking a lot about this exact problem. The “settle up” function is great once you understand what it does, but it confuses a lot of first-time users. We’re working to improve communication about this, including via visual aids – you should see some of those updates over the next few weeks :)

15. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This seems like a useful feature that would make life easier. We’ve talked about having the infinity scroll when it comes the past expenses of the groups. Currently it’s not scheduled, but it’s on our list of things to do down the road.

16. keep doing what you're doing!

hey guys just letting you know that splitwise is probably the best thing that happened to us in terms of software this year!

my boyfriend and i started using splitwise to manage our expenses for our apartment, and loved it. it soon migrated to their office, where about 10 people now form a group and use it regularly.

now we use it in our friendship circles as well and we know at least one other sharehouse is on board.

splitwise has made living, working and hanging out together easy and has taken the stress out of money issues, as well…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Amelia,

Thank you for the kind feedback – it’s honestly a pleasure to hear that Splitwise has been so helpful to you!

We definitely are planning to do both better emails and SMS-based alerts and invitations for the non smart phone users and for people who like that method of doing things.

Just one clarification: do you mean a non-smartphone way to add bills (like an SMS version of quick add) on the go? We haven’t planned on that yet, so if that’s the suggestion, please write back and let us know.

Cheers and thanks!
    Jon

17. Charts should not aggregate "Other" from different categories

It looks like Splitwise combines all "Other" expenses from different categories. It would be great it they were shown as separate ones like "Life: Other", "Transportation: Others" etc.

Here's screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt2yx9rcp765c6u/Screenshot%202016-02-15%2012.42.42.png?dl=0

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We have plans to revisit the charts in the future and improve them based on data we’ve received. However with our small team it is hard to give an estimate as to when this will happen. The best course is to subscribe to this thread which we’ll update when the feature has been completed.

18. Change the Settle All balances

Team,
    The option of "Settle All balances" seems to be confusing, instead of this, can we not record a cash payment. Alternatively, this option should be read only since it is automated. We have also noticed that this is getting added automated when we record a cash payment but doesnt get deleted when we delete the cash payment.
    Looking forward to hear back from you.
    Thanks,
    Anuj

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We do plan to improve this feature at some point. We will most likely not make it read only (adding things you can’t edit or delete is rarely a good thing). You can currently record a cash payment and avoid this. To do so, you must record a payment separately in each group you owe money in instead of making one payment for everything.

Marshall

19. Chart legend sorted by percentage

Currently Charts legend is sorted by pie slices order (probably Google Visualisation's default). But it would be useful to have it ordered in descending order or as a separate table that can be sorted.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have plans to revisit the charts in the future and improve them based on data we’ve received. However with our small team it is hard to give an estimate as to when this will happen. The best course is to subscribe to this thread which we’ll update when the feature has been completed.

20. the left pane lists like "friends" and "groups" should be collapsible

The left pane lists like "Friends" and "Groups" can be a long one. I suggest you allow them to be collapsible (by clicking on the list name or something similar) and allow that state to be saved for convenience and a cleaner appearance for users with long lists (like me).
    P.S. Splitwise is great. Please keep it up!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We hear you. Friends and groups in the app are slightly unwieldy and difficult to access, and we are planning a redesign of the Android app to address those issues.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base