Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Auto detect date from expense name

When I enter an expense name like 'gas on 8/20' the expense date should automatically be set to 8/20

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Hey! If you’re doing this kind of thing already, quick-add does this and is expected to do as much as possible to guess what your expense is (text field near the add buttons on the web and in the friend or group page on the mobile apps). I don’t think we’ll add this to the general expense add flow because it’s tricky to implement this kind of behavior without overriding someones careful effort to do something like register “rent january 1” for December 20th so their housemates get enough heads up to get them checks before vacation.

Marshall

2. Dashboard

For payments, its better to mention "You Paid" than "You get back"

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  3. allow debts to be seen in groups when they exist between two people within the group

My friend added me to a group, but when we look "in the group" it looks as if there are no debts between us, which is not the case

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently in a group any user can see any expense that is in the group. We don’t want to list anything in the group screen that cannot be seen by everyone to prevent confusion and maintain privacy.

Marshall

4. Let me import expenses without annoying all my friends by sending them invites

I'm actually not going to use the importer because I apparently can't import expenses without sending invites. that's dumb.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Part of Splitwise’s ethos is to keep everyone on the same page, so we’ve made a conscious decision to send emails out to the users that you’re creating friendships with.

5. Facebook App

We should have a facebook app for this,with similar functionality.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently we have no plans to make a Facebook app. We’re a small team of 2.5 engineers and we have some other platforms that we wish to get to before the Facebook app.

6. PRIVACY

PRIVACY IS NOT PROVIDED IN THIS SITE THAT MEAN EACH AND EVERY PERSON IN THE GROUP CAN SEE THE OTHERS DETAILS LIKE WHO OWE,HOW MUCH ONE OWE TO OTHER LIKE THAT...THAT SHOULD BE ELIMINATED...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have intentionally made all information in groups public. Anyone in the group should be able to easily verify that the totals listed for balances and amounts owed are correct. If you want private expenses, add them to friendships. In the friendship side of things, any user can see an expense they are a part of, but nothing else.

Marshall

7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

I assume this is a bill added in a group and not a bill between two friends (bills between friends can only be changed by people on the bill). Anything added to a group can be edited and viewed by anyone else in the group. We do this so that anyone in the group can make corrections (for example: the payment was listed to the wrong person). In you user settings you can ask to be notified by email when expenses are added or changed and in the dashboard on the web you can undelete recently changed expenses.

Marshall

8. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Please provide featire of hiding even contact

please provide feature using which we can hide contact which are even with me

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Show before-after status in Debt Simplification

After a debt simplification is done, can you please add something that'll show me the math involved. Something like the following would help:

Before:
    A owes B $30
    B owes C $20
    C owes A $25

After:
    A owes B $5
    C owes B $5

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are very sensitive about keeping our users info between each other private, so we don’t have plans on giving the details of the simplification out.

If you wanted to see the details of a debt simplification, my suggestion would be to start a group with the people that you use the most on Splitwise. We do give the details of how everything breaks down within a group, because they are public expenses that everyone can see.

11. Have something more to fill up your page.

There is a lot of white space on the page. I suggest that you have some more colors on the page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. not block users without a supported browser.

I am trying to access this website from work and they are slow at updating things... They are still using old IE6. You can be like the rest of the internet and maybe have a message saying to upgrade but don't block out the site becausemy browser is not up to date. It's like saying I can't enter a coffee shop if I don't have a specific hat on. Yes the site may not work with the old browser but at least let me see that for myself.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you’re stuck on an older browser. Unfortunately, our site uses modern enough code that it really doesn’t work on IE 6 and 7. I don’t mean looks bad and is hard to use, but just completely broken. It’s more saying you can’t enter a coffee shop because it’s on fire.

I know this is a pretty terrible answer, but getting our site to anything close to working on IE 6 would increase our development time by at least 40%.

Marshall

13. Set up Administrative vs Normal User access(edit vs. read)

It would be nice just to have certain people be able to see whats going on but not edit anything..Recently had an incident where someone decided to delete some of the bills...Now we have to re-insert them..

So I suppose like a House Administrator(s) who then can allow users to either just view or edit or even more fine-grain perms depending on bill types etc..

Thanks,
    Mario

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently we have no plans to let certain people have admin powers. We believe that everyone in the group should have the ability to change the expenses for any reason.

We offer the recent activity tab to see any changes, and offer the ability to un-delete any expense that was removed in case any mistakes are made.

14. to make it fit for wide web page display

It would be great if website page can be created or rendered in a manner it can fill up whole screen. as currently all pcs support wide display. Having wide display more data can be accommodated in a single page screen.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. to modify default notifications

I made a lot of my friends join SplitWise after billmonk died. Unfortunately, I've a bunch of those who need to be prodded to do stuff.

Long story short, the deal is that when someone joins SplitWise, the all but the notifications for "adding an expense" and "deleting an expense" are disabled. This results in me going individually to everyone's desk to enable it so that they can't say, "Pending bill?! I didn't get any notification that there was any!!"

You may argue that SplitWise sends out monthly balance update, but trust me, if you make a payment at the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We want to avoid having people feel like they are being spammed by the system, so the email on every expense add is turned off by default. You can send a balance reminder through us from the web or apps pretty easily and we’ve got a politely worded default email so doing that should be pretty easy.

On second thought, we might just add a “weekly activity” email if you have anything going on in your account, which might help in this case.

Marshall

16. Mark transactions as refundable

The app should include an option to mark a transaction as refundable and later when we refund the amount in that transaction we should enter custom or predefined depreciation and should get the amount calculated and adjusted as per the choice.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. email notifications

Please stop forcing me to send emails to people when I want to track who I owe money to. The fact that I MUST send an email to someone before I can track something is invasive. You have a great app, but that part is a show stopper. Dont' MAKE people send emails. The fact that I track who I owe money to using an app on my iphone should be my choice to share, not a pre-req.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Splitwise is, at it’s core, a communication and fairness tool, not a private ledger. If you really want to keep a private ledger, add a group with your self and another person and simply leave the email blank when you add the other person.

Marshall

18. Change 'Who owes who' to 'who owes whom'

Grammar! 80-97% sure

PS - I work on feedback for my company so I know what a pain it is to deal with this. Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Anon!

Actually, we deliberately choose to do “who owes who” instead of “who owes whom” because it sounds less stuffy. :) Even though whom is technically correct, it sounds a bit archaic to our ear in standard spoken english.

We love responding to feedback! :) Just haven’t been as fast as we like to be recently – for which we apologize. Just trying to focus on building more great stuff.

19. Debt shuffle

Your debt shuffle feature (simplify debt) fails to work. I have tried it between 2 ppl and got a message "Your debts were shuffled successfully." but when I check in my dashboard the same has not been done. Tried it twice, same results both the times.

Also, why can't we have that feature on Android?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Prateek,

Sounds like you might be having a rather specific problem, or encountering a bug – send a support request with more details and we’ll take a look?

Not having on Android: debt shuffle is a very complex feature and we try to keep the mobile apps as simple as possible.

Cheers,
    Jon

20. Make it bigger.

I visited the website after a few weeks, and great! I love the new changes, that I now actually decided to use Splitwise forever.

Now that I have made the all important decision, I will start expecting bigger things. Have you ever looked at Splitwise as a place one stores ALL information about expenses, not just owing but also spending? Something like your personal account book. This would involve rethinking the structure to generalize 'an expense', and inherit 'owing money' from that. May be far fetched, but it must be food for thought.

Kudos, again. (y)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We do have some big plans in store for Splitwise. I suspect you’ll find them awesome, though they are not quite what you have listed here. The only reason I’m “declining” this is that there is no specific goal we’d be able to check off as we move forward and we do have a roadmap that will cover some of these ideas.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base