Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Owe

The owes you and you owe is always confused with us. So please see if you can have this word replace with any good understandable word please

Thanks

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve spent a lot of time on the language in the app and this is the best set of words we’ve been able to come up with. It’s not something we plan to change, but I’d love to hear more about why it’s confusing.

Marshall

2. Débitos mensais

As despesas que são mensais não deveriam entrar na conta do mês corrente, somente no mês do débito dela. Se não, qual a utilidade de ter a opção de repetir a despesa todo mês?!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

¡Gracias por la sugerencia! Si usted está en un grupo, hay una opción para exportar el resumen de ese mes, que podemos traer a frienships en algún momento. No tenemos planes para agregar los gastos que no forman parte de los saldos totales, pero podríamos agregar funciones para que pueda ver el saldo en un momento determinado. El sistema recurrente debe agregar las cuentas en el futuro alrededor del tiempo que deben ser parte de los saldos. Por favor, envíenos un correo electrónico a support@splitwise.com si usted está viendo un comportamiento inesperado con facturas recurrentes.

Marshall

3. Sharing grocery lists

Can we get a tab for sharing grocery lists? One tab that autoupdates to which all members of a household can contribute and check mark things off?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This would be more appropriate for a grocery list app and wouldn’t be part of Splitwise’s core. As such we’d be unlikely to be able to dedicate the time necessary to create an entire sub app within Splitwise.

4. All Import from the same format as your export feature

Before knowing your website existed I split using a spreadsheet (last night) and would be happy to conform my format to the same as your export format. Just let me know if you support and point me to the import option

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Dustin, sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to build a general importer in the near future. Even our spreadsheet export doesn’t actually have enough information to import bills – for instance, it doesn’t have complete information about how much each person paid, or each person’s email address.

I’d love to add an actual importer at some point in the future, but right now we’re really short on manpower (we’re only two engineers), so unfortunately other updates will probably take priority. For now, your best bet is probably just to add your current total balances with your friends as new expenses, and optionally include your spreadsheet as an attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

5. Change the mascot

Love everythign else, but that drawing of the little guy is weird. :P

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry you don’t like our guy. Unfortunately he’s well loved in the office so we will not be changing our buddy. Did you know that you can upload an avatar which will show up in his place?

6. non-modification of payments / expenses = advance/optional features needed

I understand splitwise's desire to make it "Wiki"-like allow all to make changes/edits. However, it really seems crazy for anyone in a group to be able to delete ALL payments/expenses.

Yes, communal editing can be helpful when incorrect posts are made but this, in my mind, doesn't justify universal access by everyone to make changes. In the event of errors, then the poster should be able to delete or modify them. (I'm sure the poster will be notified of the error if it's identified anyhow)

Conversely, once the payer pays his/her debt, the payer should have an icon (like $…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we don’t have plans to change this policy in the near future. We’ve run a variety of tests on different kinds of permissions – restricting edits and deletions, confirming that a payment has been made, etc – and come to the conclusion that more controls of this kind lead to more overall frustration and problems for a greater number of users.

There’s definitely not one right answer to this, and there are some obvious strengths to a more rigid system of permissions, but based on our observations we’ve decided not to go that way for now. We do hope to keep making improvements that (a) make it more obvious when a bill has changed and (b) make it easier to view and revert changes.

I’m really sorry for the trouble! This has been a hard decision for us, and we’re constantly re-evaluating it, but for now at least our…

7. Only Lent Person should be able to Settle Up from his account

When the bills are settled up, it should be done from the person who lent the money and not from the person who owes the money coz this may lead to fraud settlement

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We built Splitwise with the intention of keeping everyone on the same page with shared expenses, so anyone can add, edit, or record payments. There is a record of all of this kept in Recent Activity, so if there is a dispute, you can always reference the Recent Activity page. You also have the ability to delete the payment even if it was not recorded by you.

8. interface is not good

the new side bar is good but the old main interface of group and one on one was good kindly switch it back as it was fast and good and convenient.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We switched to the new user interface to address issues that were impossible to fix in the old layout, so we will not be going back (though we will be bringing a couple of sorely-missed views from the old layout). If you have specific things you think the old group/person interface worked better for, please let us know and we’ll see if we can accommodate it in the new design.

Marshall

9. Invite Directly from contact

Allow to send message to the person's mobile number in the contacts

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hi there. Are you in India, the UAE, or France? In those countries we don’t pull mobile numbers from Contacts because our invite text messages get marked as spam by the carriers and therefore they don’t get delivered. So we only pull email addresses because we can ensure deliverability. Sorry for the trouble!

10. Order groups by most recent expense time

I want to have my most recently active group to appear on top in the groups tab on Android

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Keeping groups in a stable position allows users to develop muscle memory. We think it would be confusing if users had to visually scan for the group they want each time they view the GROUPS tab. I hear your argument but it’s just a trade off we’ve made in the other direction. Sorry for any bother! Cheers.

11. debt simplification on mobile app

I quite liked the Debt Simplification feature on the web app. Why can't we have a similar feature on the mobile app?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We support debt simplification for groups in our mobile apps (it’s under “Group settings”), but we don’t plan to add more advanced debt simplification features to mobile right now. We’ve found that more advanced versions of “simplify debt” cause a lot of confusion for most people, and that those simplifications are often really difficult to follow, especially when you’re not the one who added the simplification in the first place. Sorry for the trouble!

12. Settling balances

The notification you receive after settling balances with a friend in a group is odd at times.

The notification shows settled all balances for transactions within a common group. If you had other transactions with that person, this number is often not the same.

Instead of showing balance from just groups it would be great if the notification showed the exact balance between the two people who settled.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for writing in with this suggestion! I think this might cause some confusion for a lot of our users who track a lot of group and non-group expenses. I’m sorry for the inconvenience!

13. Create an unpaid bill

When I click to add a bill, it assumes it's been paid. This is a bad assumption. Use Case: I want to add an unpaid cable bill to split. Can't do it.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m declining this because we have a different solution in mind for dealing with unpaid bills that will be coming in the next 3-6 months. Handling bills in a better and cleaner way is really important to us, so we’re going to build out a more comprehensive set of features around this.

Marshall

14. Expenses/Non-Splitwise thru payments approval

I really believe this feature is a must!
    I came across some previous similar suggestions .. which were declined on the reason that Dashboard and email notifications about a new expense accomplish the same

Don't you guys realize that whatever you do..any step adding an expense edit it..etc etc "APPROVAL FROM ALL People involved in a Transaction!" is the FINAL Unavoidable step..be it AN EXPENSE OR A CASH PAYMENT

Similarly "Settlement via Cash" needs approval!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, our answer for this remains the same – we don’t plan to add explicit “approval” for when bills/payments are added, updated, or deleted. We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

As always, you can set your notification settings to be notified any time that something is added or updated. And of course, you are always free to edit or remove expenses that you think were added incorrectly, and to talk out the issue with the involved parties. Sorry for the trouble!

15. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thank you so much! I’m glad you like the app. I’m declining this because there’s not a specific thing to fix here – I’m not sure how to know if we have enough bunnies :)

Marshall

16. Bring back the old way of entering the cost

The latest iOS update changed the way the cost field works. It used to add digits on as you typed, starting from cents. Now it's more like a standard text field where you put in a decimal point.

It sounds stupid, but this was one of the things I really enjoyed about this app compared with others (Google Wallet, PayPal), and I wished they'd do it your way, but now it's gone here too =(.

Even just a setting to change back would be great (though I get the UI simplification thing and this kinda cuts against that. But I…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble, Andrew! :( I was actually the original proponent for the ATM-style amount field, but the more that we observed it in use, the more issues we found: new users frequently screwed up their first expense, international users often had trouble with it, some 3rd-party keyboards didn’t work well with it, etc. It was a tough decision (especially since all our existing users were already used to the old style), but ultimately I think it’ll help a lot of people.

I don’t think we’re likely to add it as a manual setting, unfortunately, but I’m really sorry for the loss! R.I.P. ATM-style cost field <3

17. Add Toman Currency, Iranian common but unofficial currency

In the daily life of Iranians, the currency called "Toman" is more frequently used than the official currency, "Rial (IRR)", because of a lot of zeros!
    Toman is one tenth of Rial, i.e. 10000 Rial is equal to 1000 Toman.
    Please add this currency (or replace it with Rial), because it makes confusion and error by the users frequently.
    Thank you

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the message, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I’m afraid our list of currencies is restricted to currencies with official international currency codes, so we can’t add the Toman right now :(

I did some research, and I saw that there have been efforts to replace the Rial with either the Toman or a new unit called the Parsi, but most of the articles that mentioned this possible change were several years old. If a currency change ever becomes official, we’d be happy to add the new unit of currency. Until then, my apologies for the inconvenience!

18. rename friends after they logged in

it's great to have the possibility to name and rename newly added friends which has not logged in yet BUT I would also like to define my own names for my friends even after the logged in and defined their "official" name.

For example, my father logs in first time, enters his full name, but if I log in I still would like to see him as "dad" rather than "Alexander" (especially if I have multiple friends called "Alexander", which could easily happen).

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t currently plan to support “renaming” friends – while it certainly would be useful for some users, we think that group of users is rather small, and as a small company we want to spend our development time working on bigger features and updates. Very sorry for the inconvenience!

For the “multiple Alexanders” problem, we try to encourage people to use both their first and last name, as well as a profile picture, to help distinguish them from other friends with similar names.

19. Put the name of the expense in the venmo description

Venmo integration is great! But I like my Venmo descriptions to have a reference to the actual expense (because it helps me categorize them later). You already prep-populate the Venmo description that lists it as a Splitwise expense, I would just like you to add the name of the expense (ie - electric bill) in that description.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, the Splitwise model doesn’t associate specific expenses with payments. Payments are just an amount that applies to a total balance. There’s not really an automatic way for us to match the two up reliably.

Marshall

20. "Simplify debts with" in a group

It could be usefull to redirect simplified debts with a person in a specific group, instead of non-group

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to make any changes to the “Simplify debts with” algorithm. We do offer simplify debts as an ongoing toggle in groups, which we think is usually a much better solution to the simplify debts problem, though we kept the more general one around for rare cases where it’s needed. You can always edit a specific Simplify debts entry and move it into a group if you want to.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base