Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Whiteboard HTML Support

Currently, the Whiteboard will support HTML when you first save it, then when it's reloaded you are left with all the tags. Is there any way to re-encode it before displaying?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Good catch – but this is actually on purpose :) If we let you save raw HTML to the whiteboard, then you could use it to do bad things to other members of your group, like inserting JavaScript, or just accidentally breaking the layout of the page. For that reason, the whiteboard is saved and displayed as plaintext.

2. "settle up" button has ambiguous meaning

The use of the "settle up" button to begin a payment is a bit confusing. Perhaps I'm just used to the way Splitwise used to work, but when I think "Settle up", I imagine seeing the list of who owes who. I actually ended up spending quite some time looking for the button to add a payment, before resorting to clicking on suspicious looking buttons and finding it under "settle up". Anyway, I think it would be more straightforward to to have an explicit "record a payment" button, just like the old days.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We’ve decided to stick with the Settle up wording in the interface. We’ve seen too much confusion the other way now that you can actually send money via Paypla or Venmo.

Marshall

3. Allow people to be removed from a group

At ANY TIME, so that you can remove someone from a group without them having to zero out first. Like if they were accidentally added and then need to be removed later.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we can’t do this – for mathematical reasons.

Imagine a two-person group, where Anna owes Bob $20. If you removed Anna without settling up first, then the group would just say “Bob is owed $20” – without any idea of where that $20 should come from. The same principle applies no matter how many people there are: if you remove someone with a non-zero balance, then someone ELSE in the group is left with a debt that can’t be paid.

4. 'Change currency' button when one changes currency

When one changes currency from USD to something else (INR in my case), show a small mini-popup-like thingy, which says "click here if you want to save INR as your default currency for all future transactions". Will save a trip to the settings panel and a dozen of seconds of search.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We try to guess the correct currency when you first sign up based on your location and if you were invited by anyone, so I hope this feature isn’t really necessary.

Marshall

5. control locks so that people should not delete expense without anybody elses knowledge

Keep a track of changes done and send an email to all related people about the change in expense like delete or edit !!!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t currently plan to add permissions for editing/deleting bills, but you can turn on email notifications in your user settings to be notified whenever a bill is updated. Additionally, you can view a record of recent activity in your account at any time by clicking the flag icon in the middle of the top of the screen. (It turns orange when there have been changes in your account since your last visit.)

http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

6. Add more factors to the fairness calculators

I think it would be a great idea to add some other factors to fairness calculators in rent. Pets should be an extra charge, helicopter roommates should be an extra charge (you know, those ones who hound you about missing chores once, but miss doing their own all the time), taking over tons of bathroom space should be an extra charge (especially when only 1 is available in the whole house), smoking too close to the house and stinking it up should be an extra charge...etc. How can you calculate those things?!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Those are definitely all valid things to consider, but it’s hard to do with a calculator, and they should generally be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. The cost of a pet can vary widely depending on the type of pet, while the values of chores, bathroom space, and smoking depend a lot on who you’re living with, and should probably be discussed as a group. (Another request we hear often is parking, which has very different values depending on where you live.) Sorry we can’t be of more help!

7. Great idea, too many taps

Hello,

I finally found a good looking, good features' IOU app and I have to thank you. I also want to give some feedback from the few minutes I've played with it.

One has to tap to much and I feel that in these kind of things, that's not good because it starts to feel like a chore. For instance, when settling a debt a swipe should be enough.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  8. Add bill without myself

Sometimes, I want to add a bill for my friends even though I am not included.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry for the trouble! We don’t allow this in general because we feel it would be potentially invasive. If you want to add expenses without being involved, you will need to create a group and add everyone to it. If you’re in a group, you can add expenses without being involved.

It sounds like you might be in a group use case already if you want this feature. Please email support@splitwise.com if you’d like help getting set up and moving existing expense into a group.

Marshall

9. Add Simplify feature to round to the dollar

It is annoying to owe a pennies. The app should be smart enough to round to the dollar. Have a tolerance threshold.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t intend to add custom rounding settings in the near future – it introduces a surprising number of complications, especially with foreign currencies that use a different number of decimals or special rounding schemes. I’m sorry for the inconvenience!

10. A better logo !!

I love the app, but as a graphic designer, I am a bit disturb by the icon of the app. You should draw it on a new perfect grid, find one single typography for everything, and maybe use a more shinny green...

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

I’m very sorry you don’t like it! I don’t think we’re likely to change our logo or core design in the near future – we’re still pretty happy with our colors/font/etc, and right now we’re more concerned with building new features and fixing bugs.

If there are specific screens or UI elements that seem wrong to you, feel free to let us know at support@splitwise.com. Otherwise, my apologies for any eye sores!

11. to let people synchronize without internet connectivity

A pretty common usecase for splitwise is people being on vacation together. But data roaming charges are still excessive in many case, so it would be nice if you could synchronize between devices without internet connectivity - e.g. via Ad-Hoc Wifi connections, Bluetooth or NFC.

Of course this would require some kind of initial pairing, but that could be easily done with QR codes to be scanned or when all members of the group have internet connectivity.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This would definitely be cool, but it’d also take significant engineering effort, so we’re not likely to add ad-hoc syncing as a feature in the near future.

We do support offline mode in our iPhone app, and offline mode should be coming to Android next month. In those cases, the app allows you to add expenses locally on your phone, then syncs them back to the server the next time you have an internet connection. We think that should be enough for most use cases.

12. Collapse expenses by month

Hi,
    In the expenses we have all listed our expenses under each month, can we have an header for each month, which can be expandable ? When you expand we should see all expenses under that month

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’re probably not going to do collapsable months in our mobile app, though we do hope to add the option to view summaries for each month at some point in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. Hide transactions from people not involved

There should be an option in the groups' settings to always hide transactions from people that are not present, and prevent those people from seeing the transaction (or just hide the value).

This would be helpful in a group of friends where you don't want to disclose, eg, the birthday present's value to whoever's birthday it is.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We believe anyone in a group should be able to see any expense in that group so they can audit our calculations. If you want to keep an expense private, add it outside the group. Expenses outside the group are only visible to the people involved in the expense.

Marshall

14. Pay for Splitwise pro via paypal

I would be happy to pay for Splitwise pro, but I'm not willing to tell you my credit card number. Make it possible to subscribe via Paypal and I will be the first who will use this option.

By the way I like optional pricing :)

Regards,
    Sandor

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

I assume you’re talking about the “Simplify debts” feature that’s on the account settings page on our website? If so, I’m afraid we don’t currently have any plans to bring that feature to mobile – it’s an infrequently used feature, and we’ve found that it often confuses people, so we no longer emphasize it to users. Apologies for the inconvenience!

16. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! PayPal doesn’t currently allow us to make payments outside of the US, so I’m afraid we’re unable to offer this feature right now. We hope this will change in the future!

17. expenses should shown under respective dates

expense in group should shown under their respective dates

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! I’m unclear exactly what your suggestion is – would you like us to show the date next to each individual expense in our mobile apps? If so, I’m afraid we probably won’t be making that change. We’ve tried several different designs that included the date for each item, but we ultimately decided that it takes up too much room on small mobile screens, and we found in our testing that the large majority of Splitwise users don’t use the dates on expenses very much. However, you can still see a date next to each expense by logging into your account on our website.

If I’ve misunderstood your request, my apologies! Just leave a comment and I’d be happy to pass on any other feedback you have.

18. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to add itemized bill splitting to our mobile apps in the near future. Itemized bills aren’t a very frequently used feature on our website, and we haven’t found a good design yet for itemized splits on mobile. (Itemized bills usually require a large amount of typing and lots of checkboxes, and neither of those two things works very well on a smartphone screen.) I’m very sorry for the trouble!

19. Better paypal support for android

Overall your mobile app experience on android is pretty good but trying to pay via paypal is pretty horrible. Modal dialogue is so small that I have trouble navigating to enter login info. I eventually gave up and had to switch to Desktop version to finish paying. Would be great to improve this exp.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Really sorry for the trouble! We’d love to improve this experience, but unfortunately we have almost zero control over it – it’s an official library from PayPal, and we don’t really have the power to customize its appearance. Hopefully PayPal will update their code at some point to better support a wide variety of screens, but until then, the desktop version might be your best bet :( Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

20. The new UI is so Android style (ugly)

The old UI was very clean and nice. Is it possible to revert back?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you don’t like the changes! We’re unlikely to undo any of the major design changes that we made in the latest update, but if there are particular details you dislike, or if you have any specific feedback, we’d definitely love to hear it. Again, apologies for the trouble!

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base