Skip to content

General

80 results found

1. Let Paypal handle money limits

It says I can't transfer more than $500 via paypal. However, paypal has limits on a per user basis based on how verified their account is. I don't have limits do therefore paywise is limiting me unfairly. I can't use your app to record a payment then.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

This is a limit imposed by PayPal, not us. Their API limits third-party applications to send a maximum of $500 per week per user.

If you’d like to send larger amounts of money via PayPal, you can always transfer the money directly from PayPal.com, and then record that payment here on Splitwise. Sorry for the inconvenience!

2. Make the new popup the same dark color scheme as the old one

Please make the new divide a bill popup the same color scheme as the old one. This one hurts my eyes. Otherwise the new pop up is great and I love that it is easy to add an image now

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  3. feedback on new design

The update feels pretty neat. UI feels snappy. paypal integration is cool.
    The only problem I have is the color scheme. Having light green on a white background strains the eye. It would have been better to have a darker foreground, probably dark green instead of light green.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the compliments, and sorry you don’t like the new colors! Unfortunately, we are planning to keep them. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

4. Not show "Settle All Group" entries groups. It just leaves us all confused when we try to reconcile the payments.

If you really need the "Settle All Groups", please make it internal and not visible to the users. It just confuses the heck out of us when we try to reconcile the payments.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you find this confusing, but we think it’s very important to show – otherwise, the list of expenses with a given friend/in a given group would not actually add up to the total balance, which seems much more confusing to us. Still, I’ll mention this at our next team meeting and see if we can think of any ways to reduce confusion.

5. Add an option to get Notifications via RSS

I am an RSS fanboy, and I believe there are many out here who will appreciate if you can provide notifications via RSS also.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Though I’m an avid RSS user myself (and still lamenting the loss of Google Reader!), we probably won’t be doing custom RSS feeds – we’d rather communicate via email and push notifications. Sorry!

6. I am not quite sure if your site has the option to divide unequally shared expenses.

I have designed a code for that. If you would like to add it in the future, I would not mind sharing it. :)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey divz – we actually support splitting expenses in all sorts of ways, including by percent, by shares, by itemizing, and more. You can access all these by logging in to Splitwise, clicking the “Add bill” button, entering the bill’s description and cost, and then clicking where it says “Split equally” to adjust the split. Thanks for your offer! :)

7. User Interface

Make the user interface more catchy.

The mobile and Web app are great! Perfect. Also, suggest this app should be made for BlackBerry Users.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We definitely want to keep improving our user interface, but I’m closing this suggestion for now because it’s not very specific. If you have any particular thoughts on how we should improve Splitwise, let me know and I’d be happy to pass them on!

Unfortunately, we also don’t have any plans to make a BlackBerry app right now – we’re a very small company (just two engineers), so web, iPhone, and Android is about as much as we can handle. However, if you know any BlackBerry developers, they’d be welcome to build their own Splitwise app using our public API: http://dev.splitwise.com. Sorry for the inconvenience!

8. photo

Set it up so that when I take a photo using the app for the reciepts, it saves a copy to my phone

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, we don’t plan to add this feature – we’ve found that most people don’t wish to save copies of their receipts on their phone, especially when those receipts are already backed up to Splitwise.

One possible workaround would be to take a picture of your receipt with your phone’s camera app, then open Splitwise afterward and choose to attach that receipt picture from your photo gallery. I realize that’s not a great alternative, though, so apologies for the inconvenience!

9. Email Printable Summary to Group

It would be nice to email printable summary to the group who does not use splitwise

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We currently send monthly summaries to everyone who has signed up for Splitwise and have pre-written balance reminders you can send to anyone in the group we can email. We also have the monthly PDF you can get from the group (click on the month name in the expense list) that should be suitable for sending to housemates.

Marshall

10. Display Advanced options by default

Most of the times I display the other windows like when saying he owes me the full amount or notes, a good idea would be to display all the boex by default to speed up the process

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  11. Signing up via Google should NOT manage my contacts

I care about my privacy, and I DO NOT want to share my contact list with another (web) app.

I was about to sign up to Splitwise, then I looked at the required permissions, then I declined.

(as in a side note, the Android app also wants to read my contacts, and that's something I do not like either)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Denilson,

You can always sign up without using google and we won’t get any contact data from you. Unfortunately, with the Android app, you have to ask for any permission you might conceivably want up front and can’t turn things off by request. The contact integration is very useful for most of our users, so we ask for it on Android.

In either case, we do not store your contact information on our server (outside of you specifically inviting a friend to Splitwise), though we do keep an access token saved so that we can load contact information in your browser when you add friends and bills.

Marshall

12. Allow creation of expenses where "you" are not involved

There are some instances where I want to create a transaction (that I am not involved in) between 2 other people in a group.

Right now, when I click "Add bill", "you" is one of the defaults and there is no way to remove myself from the transaction until after I actually save it or by going in and setting my part of the transaction to $0.

The other workaround to this is to use the quick add feature to add the expense between the 2 people i.e. "John owes Bill $2 for lunch" but it seems like this should…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Most people add do not add expenses like this and including this kind of change would probably make it harder to add expenses in that do involve you. Given that there is a workaround to remove yourself from the bill while you are adding it (even if it is a few extra taps), we don’t plan to add any more optimization for this case.

I’m a little confused in when you would need to save the expense before you could remove yourself. For both adding and editing an expense, you should be able to change the payer to someone else and open the split options to remove yourself from the split.

Marshall

13. "settle up" button has ambiguous meaning

The use of the "settle up" button to begin a payment is a bit confusing. Perhaps I'm just used to the way Splitwise used to work, but when I think "Settle up", I imagine seeing the list of who owes who. I actually ended up spending quite some time looking for the button to add a payment, before resorting to clicking on suspicious looking buttons and finding it under "settle up". Anyway, I think it would be more straightforward to to have an explicit "record a payment" button, just like the old days.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve decided to stick with the Settle up wording in the interface. We’ve seen too much confusion the other way now that you can actually send money via Paypla or Venmo.

Marshall

14. Excluding a Group from a User's Summary Expense Calculations

I have the requirement where I have to exclude a group expense from the total summary of a particular user. For example, I have a groups GP1, GP2, GP3 with users UR1 and UR2 and Myself in each of it. When I select user UR1, I find the total amount to owe/owed after a consolidated calculation. Instead of this method, I have to isolate GP2 from all the users when I select them. It should be independent even if I click a particular user. Can you provide some feature like this in the app?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We run into issues where people get confused by how balances add up and adding more complicated features to modify balances on top of that is not something we’ll do. If you want to see balances for each group separately, we do display that in each group. If you have some specific use case, please submit a support ticket with your use case so we can see if there’s some other feature or solution that might work for you.

Marshall

15. Hide transactions from people not involved

There should be an option in the groups' settings to always hide transactions from people that are not present, and prevent those people from seeing the transaction (or just hide the value).

This would be helpful in a group of friends where you don't want to disclose, eg, the birthday present's value to whoever's birthday it is.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We believe anyone in a group should be able to see any expense in that group so they can audit our calculations. If you want to keep an expense private, add it outside the group. Expenses outside the group are only visible to the people involved in the expense.

Marshall

16. Shares in itemized bills

Could it be possible to allow split by shares for a single item in itemized bills? Say i want to split the cost of an item 2 times to a person and 1 time to myself.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

While this would definitely be a nice-to-have feature, the use case is very very specific. A simple workaround is to add that specific item as a separate bill.

17. Whiteboard HTML Support

Currently, the Whiteboard will support HTML when you first save it, then when it's reloaded you are left with all the tags. Is there any way to re-encode it before displaying?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Good catch – but this is actually on purpose :) If we let you save raw HTML to the whiteboard, then you could use it to do bad things to other members of your group, like inserting JavaScript, or just accidentally breaking the layout of the page. For that reason, the whiteboard is saved and displayed as plaintext.

18. allow to choose participants when using unequal dividing with adjustments

In the old pop-up when doing an "unequal divide with adjustments" it was possible to keep people out from the bill. This is no longer possible with the new layout but was very handy.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We removed the checkboxes from that screen in an effort to simplify the add bill form. However, you can still add an adjusted bill that only involves some members of a group. On the main add bill screen, where it says “With you and:”, just delete the “All of Your Group” token and type in the names of the specific people you want to split with, and the adjustment form will update accordingly. Hope that helps!

19. Splitwise with emojis

nice idea with the emojis but its way too messed up. A better job can be done with this to make it fun. but this is just too shabby and irritating to use.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

The complete emoji translation of the site is just our April Fool’s joke as us going “overboard” after we added emoji support to the app so you can have them in expenses, group names, etc. While there is a clear logic to the selection of emoji and they remain consistent throughout the site, it is not intended to be used long term over your actual language.

20. Put full list of who pays who in printable summary

I made a group for a trip. After entering all expenses and simplifying debts, I wanted to send out a list showing A pays B $X, B pays C $Y, etc. But as far as I can tell, that information is only available by hovering over each name in the group one by one, so it's not easy to get a complete view of what is going on.

Can that list be put into the printable summary?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m only declining this because we have a different view that shows this information. If you go to the group and look at the balances on the right, you should see a link to “view full details”. This will show you the exact repayment breakdown for everyone in the group.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base