Skip to content

General

750 results found

1. Personal expenditure chart

I love the monthly expenditure pie chart idea. But currently I can only see the break-up of my expenses when I click on a friend, and it only shows me the break up of the expenses I have in common with that particular friend. It would be useful if I could view the monthly break-up of my expenses independent of the friends (maybe a link through my dashboard). It would be even more awesome If I could sort the table below the chart by the amount, to better understand where I am spending more.

116 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Option to track our monthly expenditure

At present, only the money owed is being tracked. It would be great if we could enter our personal expenditures too and also have the total expenditure number for each month.

Provide some comparison charts for each group, comparing the expenditure of current month with the previous etc.

Its highly probable that many of the users who use splitwise and similar sites to track the splitting, also use some other sites to track their own expenditures. So why not bring both together under one roof! :)

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently in the process of evaluating different types of expenses and relationships with those expenses. Tracking personal expenses is something we’ve discussed and want, we just need to figure out where it fits on the schedule.

3. Drag and Drop

Ability to drag and drop people from the friend list to the group. Drag a friend's name to a dedicated area to start creation of a shared bill/loan/debt. Also have the ability to drag and drop more friends to the bill being created

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a great idea, we’re going to be taking a look how how to integrate our friendships and groups better next week. We’ve usually gone the pull down tab method, but I think the idea of dragging and dropping would be really neat too!

4. Expense/Payment list filters

Provide the option to select individual members, multiple members, specific expense types (grogeries, bills, payments, ect).

Also, alowing for collapse/expand of individual months in the list would be a nice feature to clean things up.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an idea that I think would be a great addition to the site. I’m not sure when we could fit it in our schedule, but it’s something I think would be a useful way to organize expenses.

5. make tip post tax

Currently the tip calculates the percentage of the bill pre-tax. Typically, you'll tip off of the total supplied on the receipt which is post-tax.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As a former waitress that hated getting my tip based on the pre-tax amount I think this is a great idea!

We’ll talk about how to possibly implement both options (pre and post tax) in our our next meeting.

6. Allow Facebook logins from the Android app

I've found that I can connect with Facebook on the website, but not through my Android phone. Consistency is king.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Vinod,

We apologize for this, but we haven’t had time to include Facebook login on iPhone or Android yet. The reason why it’s been such a low priority is that Facebook login has not been especially popular users thus far and doesn’t add a lot of functionality.

We don’t have any plans to add facebook login on the phones soon, but you can work-around this issue by “resetting your password” on the website, and typing in the email address of the email associated with that facebook account.

I’m sorry we’re so quickly breaking support for a feature. My apologies, and let me know if you need any more assistance!

Jon

7. Add more settlement alternatives, e.g. if someone is away

Sometimes a group member is away, this makes settlement as suggested complicated.
    We need more settlement possibilities. Especially it would be great to see a recap of who owes what to whom, BEFORE aggregating the amounts.
    This would be a basic settlement option that one can use to quickly see who owes what to whom, without trying to make any offset between members. This way if one member defaults/leave without paying what it owes, it can be removed from the equation and the settlement view is still usable.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Having multiple ways to calculate who’s owes who what within a group is an interesting idea. I could see this being extra convenient for this reason -and many others. I’ll bring it up with the team and we’ll see where this can fit into our schedule.

8. Post a bill only once the posted date for the bill has arrived

When I enter a date for a bill, I want it such that the totals are updated only once the bill date has arrived. Like for example if my friend before posting the bill owed me $0. Now if I post a shared bill for say $50 and I have kept its date as 5 days in the future. I want the app to reflect that my friend owes me $25 5 days in the future, not immediately. Right now, the way the app works is that, it would have reflected that my friend owes me $ 25 right now.

368 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Updating this because it’s been a while! We still haven’t added this to our roadmap.
    As we mentioned we’ve found in testing that this behavior ends up confusing people, which is why we’ve chosen not to add it so far.

We’ll continue to leave this under review for further voting and comments.

9. have a car pool calculator

a car pool calculator where you can enter the amount and date you purchased fuel for the car, the calculator would split the bill according to the dates and number of people car pooling with you... that would be a very nice feature to add.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve discussed this kind of calculator internally a couple of times and haven’t yet figured out how costs should be broken down in a fair way. This would be nice to have, but I doubt we’ll have time to work on this in the near future. We’re a small team, so picking priorities is important :)

10. 87 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Facebook invite system has changed a lot over the years, and it makes it hard for users to receive updates, notifications, etc. Also, many users do not like getting invites through Facebook.

We are still open to doing this, and we’ll leave it under review for further voting or commentary. For now, we recommend you send invites via email or SMS.

11. Add how much is owed to the complex.

When you have a bill, unless it's already paid, you can't enter the amounts. It errors if the amounts paid don't equal the amount due even if it is a future bill.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  12. Jump to Month

Please add a list or quick way of viewing all expenses in one month (of x year) on one page. The new feature to load all expenses is great but sometimes you just want to see whether you've added an expense quickly.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  13. Show one to one amounts on the home page

Instead os showing the total amount each person owes or gets back, it would be more useful if its shown on a one to one manner. For eg, I would like to know how much I owe A, B and C and how much D, E and F owes me. Currently it shows the total amount I get back but does not show how much from whom.... Pleas let me know I am missing something.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Traditionally we’ve gone the “running bartab” method, but we’ve gotten a lot of feedback stating that people want a more granular way to break down their expenses.

We’re in the process of figuring out the best possible way to make both types of expense tracking possible, and this will be added to the list of things talk about.

14. Add a feature

Move in and move out dates. So that a user can be automatically added or deleted to a house when the date falls. Also moved out house member doesn't need to be deleted for historical purposes? They could just be 'archived'

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Aza,

Thanks for suggestion. Users that are “deleted” are still archived, so that the expenses they owed money on are still visible. We do manual deletions so that people don’t get deleted until they’ve settled all their debts :)

It’s an interesting idea!

15. make an option allowing people to alternate paying for a recurring bill.

My roommate and I alternate who sends the rent check every month; it would be great for us not to have to edit that recurring expense to switch who pays, since currently Splitwise assumes that the person who paid it last will pay it again. For more than 2 roommates, you could have the option to follow a set pattern of payment, or you could allow users to "plan ahead" who will pay each cycle of a recurring expense.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Morgan,

Sorry about this idiosyncrasy. We are planning on redoing the recurring expense system sometime at the end of the summer, and we’ll definitely consider this change.

- Jon

16. One-Time Cancellation of Recurring Payment

Recurring payments are awesome, but sometimes they change slightly or you need to cancel just one month's recurring payment. I don't see how that is possible right now. That would be a great feature and make recurring payments much more flexible.

Example use case:

I set up a recurring payment for our rent. This month our AC broke and we had to pay ourselves to fix it. So this month's rent is actually cheaper since we take out the cost of the AC repair. If I could delete the recurring payment for just this time, I could manually add a…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Chandler,

Thanks so much for the feedback. Your use case definitely makes sense – there are times I would have used this myself.

We’re planning on reviewing and improving the recurring system sometime in the later summer or early fall, so I’m sorry we can’t help you with this more immediately.

Thanks again for writing!
    - Jon

17. Allow users to create payment containers to easily track who has paid what

Housing costs aren't the only thing included in rent payment. T.V., Internet, Electricity, Water, Garbage, etc all make up rent.

Please allow a designated person in an apartment to create smaller sub-payments and include them in a larger payment container (for example Electricity bill, Internet bill would go in the payment container 'Rent'), and then allow users to select/un-select what they are paying for when they pay 'Rent'.

This would allow us to easily tell who has paid for what and who has debts currently outstanding and allow us to track that information.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Craig – thanks posting. I confess, I’m not sure I know exactly you mean, but does marking specific shares of an expense as paid by specific people cover what your asking? Right now, we treat everything as one big bucket, but many users would like us to allow expenses to be marked as individually paid and we are strongly considering supporting that.

Thanks either way!
    - Jon

18. editing future dates and quarterly bills

Its a mild inconvenience that I cannot edit the next months recurring bills until the month it is due. So when I have a bill due on 7/4, and I don't want to have to wait have edit it till a few days before. I could just enter it in as a new bill, but I'd rather be able to edit the recurring and give more notice to my roommates.

I've also noticed that I cannot enter a recurring bill that's quarterly. This has led to some confusion between my roommates when they see a "new" bill. I'd rather it…

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, Jon here. Thanks for these great suggestions, and your patience with the recurring system.

We definitely have improvements in mind for recurring bills, and these are both great points. Sorry for the inconvenience, and we’ll check back on both quarterly recurrences and pre-editing of recurring bills when we get to updating the recurring system.

19. Show all the group expenses

It would be great to have a screen where I could see all the expenses and the paid items by payer. It's awkward that I can only see my share of the items on the main dashboard. I want to be able to see a summary of who paid for what and how much it was originally, without having to click on each item.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thank you very much for this suggestion! I can see why someone would want that information available to them without having to dig deeper on individual expenses. This is something we’ll consider for future updates.

20. allow expense to be tracked to a given budget

i.e. if our household (group) budget is 100 USD a month, split wise shows us how much we have spent of that to date - how much has been spent as allocated to the grocery expense category vs what was defined as the budget. Would be great if we could set budgets for each expense category.

Would make a great tool even better at helping us control spend! Seeing a visual budget is much more motivating ;)

133 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Budgets definitely make a lot of sense. They’re not a feature on our roadmap yet (we’re a tiny team, and still focused on other improvements), but hopefully they’re something we can work on in the future.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base