Skip to content

General

869 results found

1. the "me" requirement for quick-add is inconvenient

Hi, I've been using splitwise for years now, as a replacement for Billmonk. I might not be your typical user since I use it to keep track of what family members owe me, and we never split bills. Thus when I use "quick add", I don't understand why if I write, "sonya owes 54 for dress" it automatically splits the bill and I have to manually un-split it. I have to remember to write, "sonya owes ME 54 for dress" to avoid splitting. If I say she owes me 54, then she owes me 54, not 27. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  2. If you use "split equally" remove the checkbox-feature.

I came across multiple people who put expenses as split equally but unchecked themselves from the expense. It's a very sneaky thing to do and you have to manually check the expense. So if you add people to an expense and you choose to split equally the ability to remove people should be more clear, like putting a warning on the activity like "split equally among unequal people" or something.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! I can see how this would be easy to miss if used maliciously, though it is also an intentional feature. (In some groups, it’s quite common for people to add bills that don’t involve themselves.)

3. List of expanses, categories with different colours

I share this app for the flat with my boyfriend and it would be useful to have a simpel list with all the expanses that we have, to know at the end of the month how much we spent.
    Within this list it would be great to be abel to put the expanses into different categories and give them different colours therefor.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m curious, what kind of categorization are you looking at? We already support categorizing expenses by type – entertainment, food & drink, home, life, transportation etc with lots of subcategories.

If you have a request for specific category to be added, you can reach out to us at support@splitwise.com

4. help users plan for the future, and integrate group and personal accounts more smoothly

I want to preface this by saying that I think your work is great, and I'm giving you this feedback because SplitWise is obviously a powerful tool with a lot of potential -- and I want to help you harness that potential for good. At the moment, SplitWise is enabling consumer debt rather than combating it, and I want to share my personal experience of how I'm watching that play out. Unless you're in cahoots with those who make their money off of consumer debt and are therefore doing this on purpose, read on!

Using SplitWise actually makes it much…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the thorough feedback!

I agree that Splitwise isn’t very good at budgeting right now – we help people keep an accurate record of how much they owe each other, but we don’t do much to rein in total spending or to coordinate spending by multiple individuals. We’d definitely like to add more budgeting-conscious features in the future, so hopefully that’s something we can work on!

For now, we do have a few features that may help you with basic budgeting tasks:
    - On the web, you can view a category-by-category breakdown for each month’s spending. Go to a group, then click the “Trends” button at the top of the right sidebar, and then click the “More details” link in the sidebar.
    - On our mobile apps, you can get a quick look at a group’s total spending on the “Group totals” screen.…

5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This makes a lot of sense. Personally, I’m not happy with the experience of adding people to a group, and you can expect to definitely see some improvements in this area in a future release.

7. give a prompt to automatically add people to "all purchases" if they enter after payments are entered

So what happened is we started compiling receipts and splitting payments across this group, and a couple guys joined later - thus, they were not a part of splitting some of the earlier payments (reasonably so). it would make sense to add a prompt when those people join, if they want to be part of "all". Perhaps this can be done by creating a group identity "all" instead of listing all N people in the group when split with all.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This is something we’ve been thinking about, though we don’t have any plans for this at the moment. For now, you can edit existing expenses to add new members.

Marshall

8. Provide a tutorial and "how to"

I love the concept and design of your website. But I can't find a place to learn how to use it, and how to share the "how to" part with others who are not yet on SplitWise.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We try to make Splitwise self-explanatory as much as possible, with small tutorials as you use the app, but I definitely see how a more complete “how to” guide would be useful. I’ll add that to our list of possible improvements for the future.

9. Categorize "Hydro bill" as electricity.

Due to Canada's history of hydroelectric generation, almost everyone refers to their electricity bill as their "Hydro bill"

It would be great if when I enter "Hydro Bill June" is automagically categorizes as electricity.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. to increase connectivity in Asia.

Hire servers in or near Asia so that it is easier for the app to push/pull transactions. In China we had lots of trouble syncing bills.

The internet that we had was 'ok'. It could play youtube videos at 144p, so transaction syncing should not be a problem then right?

Anyway maybe increase the time-out for http requests.

All the best!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately, neither of these are simple things due to how our infrastructure currently works. China is also a challenging environment because of how it connects to the internet for the rest of the world. Hopefully we’ll be able to improve this in the future.

Marshall

11. Allow user to cancel setting a passcode

When user clicks on set passcode from settings page and changes his mind not to set passcode, he is not displayed with any cancel button. The only way to go out of the flow is to kill the app. It's hampers the user experience..so I suggest to have an cancel button on Set passcode page

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, I can see how that would help! I’ll pass this on. For now, you can either (a) kill the app, or (b) finish setting a passcode, then immediately disable the passcode by tapping the “Passcode” button again and choosing “Disable passcode”.

12. Feature: Credit Card charges for use abroad

Dear developers,

we recently completed a trip abroad and our credit card company adds a surcharge for use abroad of 1.75% - It would be great if we could have optionally selected that for CC charges.

Best regards,
    Christian

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be useful, though I’m not immediately sure of the best way to include it in our design. I’ll pass on this suggestion at a future team meeting and add it to our list of possible improvements.

13. There should be a "Hide items not involving me" button for "All Expenses"

There is no "Hide Items not involving me" button for the "All Expenses" tab. It is there for the specific groups.
    I also tried to go to the group that I want to hide transactions from and then come back to the "All Expenses" tab, but it does not seem to work.
    It would be good to have this functionality since I need to track transactions, and not just what I owe most of the time, and the alternative, "Recent Activity" tab does not seem to be of the same use. Don't know how difficult it would be to implement…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  14. Use the same format for 'details' version of payments -

In the product today there are 2 ways to view who needs to pay what to someone else.
    1- Hovering over the person's summary page on the right hand side
    2- Clicking on 'see details' underneath everyone's summary

The visualization for Hover is a million times easier to understand than when clicking 'get details', but I have to click 'get details' because otherwise I can't see all of the payments that need to happen all at once.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble — the tour does get shown every time you log in, even if you’re a returning user. This was the best way to implement it at the time, and users rarely log out so we weren’t too worried about it. Hopefully we can make the logic more sophisticated some day. Regards.

16. Make the Spending Breakdown table sortable or at least order it by amount spent

Also, I don't see a reason to provide my name and email every time I want to give feedback…while logged in.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. This is a sensible request that I can see us considering next time we make an update to the spending breakdown view.

Our support system is run by a third party (UserVoice). We don’t have a way to automatically pass them your info when you go to access support from the web app, hence the ask.

17. I'd like to be able to add a photo with my comment on a bill

If I over or under pay on a bill, I'd like to be able to add a photo with my comment to provide evidence of the overcharge

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense. Adding photo support for comments isn’t on our roadmap yet, but hopefully it’s something we can include in a future update.

18. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I don’t think we’re likely to add all of these categories (I’d personally file these under Life → Other right now), but I could see us adding a more general category that covers these kinds of expenses.

Marshall

20. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base