Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Optimize app speed

In the past the app was lightning quick. After several updates with recent big UI changes everything is less responsive and more sluggish (at least for my 5S and my wife's 5). It can be very annoying to wait few seconds for new expense window to appear or to see how app reacts to touch with 1-2 seconds delay.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are planning to do this. I’m declining it only because there’s not a specific thing that we can check off here. “App should be faster” doesn’t give us a good guide on when we’ve completed the task, even though that’s what you want. We’re aware the current version is sluggish on some transitions.

Marshall

2. Household items/toiletries/cleaners expense and food share.

When one of the roommates purchases food or common household items like cleaners or paper towels or is constantly the one replacing these type of items; it would be nice to see a way to calculate their usage in order to properly pay for the necessities. I don't see that one person should be responsible for always buying these if they aren't the only one to use them. I had an issue a while back with a roommate not buying toilet paper because she said that she rarely was home and didn't think she used enough to really supply the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We have a couple of ideas similar to this, but it sounds like the fundamental issue is your roommate disagreeing about usage. It doesn’t seem like asking them to track usage is going to be very successful. If you get them to agree to a fair share ahead of time, we have the ability to split by percent and shares, which should work in that case.

Marshall

3. Keep track of personal expenses while in the group

When I am on a road trip with friends I may log expenses for myself to see the total cost of the trip (or my share). Even though app allows to do that, people freak out when see such transactions in their summary (with a total cost 0.00 for other group participants). It would be nice if such expenses do not show up in printable summary for the participant that are not involved, or hide those "you paid for yourself" transactions for other members of the group.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to add a feature like this – we generally like for all group members to be able to see all bills, even the ones they’re not involved in, because it often helps people to find and catch mistakes. For now, you may want to create a separate group for your personal expenses and save items there, which should still allow you to keep track of your totals (though you’ll still have to add those totals to the main group’s totals in order to get a picture of all total spending).

4. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

5. debt simplification on mobile app

I quite liked the Debt Simplification feature on the web app. Why can't we have a similar feature on the mobile app?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We support debt simplification for groups in our mobile apps (it’s under “Group settings”), but we don’t plan to add more advanced debt simplification features to mobile right now. We’ve found that more advanced versions of “simplify debt” cause a lot of confusion for most people, and that those simplifications are often really difficult to follow, especially when you’re not the one who added the simplification in the first place. Sorry for the trouble!

6. Edit Simplify Debt partners

Lets say in a group, X owes me 200$ , Y owes me 200$ and I owe 200$ to Z. The total i get back is 200$. Lets say simplify debts considering several other transactions shows that X should pay 200$ to me. But i'd prefer taking it from Y as we are close friends and im not comfortable dealing with X. My suggestion is to Allow me to choose who pays me and likewise everyone does and overall the comfort of the transactions increases.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We don’t currently plan to add an actual feature for this, but “simplify debts” is smart enough to adjust if you decide to pay someone different. For example, if Splitwise says you should pay person X but you decide to pay person Y instead, then your group’s debts will automatically be recalculated and adjusted to include your new payment. Hope that helps!

7. Have certain groups within groups

We went on a trip from different parts of India and 2 to 3 people were from same state. They want to get it settled combined from their side to other people on the trip and want a separate internal expense list so that they could settle it within their group. I would recommend you to add this feature for more functionality.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the interesting idea, but groups are confusing enough so I can’t see us ever doing this. But I understand the use case and we’ll continue to think about how to handle that case simply or elegantly.

8. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’ve tried this in the past and found that it add significantly more stress and confusion in general because most people do not want to verify payments. So you wind up with most people just having a pile of “unverified” payments stressing them out.

Marshall

9. Not all photos are receipt

We use Splitwise to split home-made food costs. And we like to attach a photo of the dish to remember how tasty it was.

But when I see a bill, it has the title Receipt above the picture.

I suggest to change that title for a generic one.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! While you are more than welcome to attach whatever photo you want, we want to use the word receipt to suggest what we think the feature is for. I think no one is confused when they see a delicious plate of food under the label receipt.

Marshall

10. The new UI is so Android style (ugly)

The old UI was very clean and nice. Is it possible to revert back?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you don’t like the changes! We’re unlikely to undo any of the major design changes that we made in the latest update, but if there are particular details you dislike, or if you have any specific feedback, we’d definitely love to hear it. Again, apologies for the trouble!

11. Opt out of a group

in some groups i dont participate and still i am in that group. add option to leave a group. unnecessarily i seeany expenses carried out in thaat group which i dint care aboit

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for any confusion. You can remove yourself from a group once your balance is 0 within the group. If you were added to any expenses in error, you can remove yourself from them by editing the bill.

Best,
    Jon

12. All Import from the same format as your export feature

Before knowing your website existed I split using a spreadsheet (last night) and would be happy to conform my format to the same as your export format. Just let me know if you support and point me to the import option

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Dustin, sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to build a general importer in the near future. Even our spreadsheet export doesn’t actually have enough information to import bills – for instance, it doesn’t have complete information about how much each person paid, or each person’s email address.

I’d love to add an actual importer at some point in the future, but right now we’re really short on manpower (we’re only two engineers), so unfortunately other updates will probably take priority. For now, your best bet is probably just to add your current total balances with your friends as new expenses, and optionally include your spreadsheet as an attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

13. Confirmation of settle up

Because anyone can post settle up so why dont we have a confirmation for the receiver when he receives the money

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Romy! We are committed to keeping Splitwise ‘wiki-style’, meaning everyone can add/edit/delete things. It makes the app easier to use.

You can choose to get an email / push notification anytime someone adds a payment with you, and you can see a list of payments made (and other activity) in your ‘Recent Activity’ tab. I hope these measures will be enough to help you feel like you always know what’s going on.

Thanks for using Splitwise and best!
    Zoe

14. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to add itemized bill splitting to our mobile apps in the near future. Itemized bills aren’t a very frequently used feature on our website, and we haven’t found a good design yet for itemized splits on mobile. (Itemized bills usually require a large amount of typing and lots of checkboxes, and neither of those two things works very well on a smartphone screen.) I’m very sorry for the trouble!

15. User Interface

Make the user interface more catchy.

The mobile and Web app are great! Perfect. Also, suggest this app should be made for BlackBerry Users.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey there! We definitely want to keep improving our user interface, but I’m closing this suggestion for now because it’s not very specific. If you have any particular thoughts on how we should improve Splitwise, let me know and I’d be happy to pass them on!

Unfortunately, we also don’t have any plans to make a BlackBerry app right now – we’re a very small company (just two engineers), so web, iPhone, and Android is about as much as we can handle. However, if you know any BlackBerry developers, they’d be welcome to build their own Splitwise app using our public API: http://dev.splitwise.com. Sorry for the inconvenience!

16. Hide transactions from people not involved

There should be an option in the groups' settings to always hide transactions from people that are not present, and prevent those people from seeing the transaction (or just hide the value).

This would be helpful in a group of friends where you don't want to disclose, eg, the birthday present's value to whoever's birthday it is.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We believe anyone in a group should be able to see any expense in that group so they can audit our calculations. If you want to keep an expense private, add it outside the group. Expenses outside the group are only visible to the people involved in the expense.

Marshall

17. allow for "secret" expenses in a group.

Dear Splitwise team,
    first of all thanks for a great application! It would be even more awesome if it supported the following use case:
    I frequently run into situations where in a group of people, we want to share the cost of a present for one of the group members among the rest. It would be awesome to use the existing Splitwise group, but of course we don't want the person who got the present to know how much we paid.
    Or is there a convenient way to take care of this that I have not discovered yet? As far…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve decided not to do this. If an expense is in a group, every member should be able to see it. Once you can’t see all of the expenses, it’s impossible to verify that the totals are correct and we’re not willing to break this.

Marshall

18. Payment gateways for credit card based settlement

Please introduce Credit card based payment gateways - Master Card , Visa . Paypal might not have such as huge user base especially in emerging markets.

Next in line could be a splitwise wallet in itself linked to a credit card where a user can transfer credits at start of a month etc..

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we don’t plan to offer direct support for credit card payments – there’s not a good way to do it without charging standard credit card fees ($0.30 + 3% of each transaction), and we think that’s a pretty bad experience. PayPal and Venmo aren’t supported everywhere, but it’s likely that they’ll have better support than any credit card solution we could create ourselves, which would require us to pass various regulatory hurdles. Sorry for the trouble!

19. Collapse expenses by month

Hi,
    In the expenses we have all listed our expenses under each month, can we have an header for each month, which can be expandable ? When you expand we should see all expenses under that month

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’re probably not going to do collapsable months in our mobile app, though we do hope to add the option to view summaries for each month at some point in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

20. to let people synchronize without internet connectivity

A pretty common usecase for splitwise is people being on vacation together. But data roaming charges are still excessive in many case, so it would be nice if you could synchronize between devices without internet connectivity - e.g. via Ad-Hoc Wifi connections, Bluetooth or NFC.

Of course this would require some kind of initial pairing, but that could be easily done with QR codes to be scanned or when all members of the group have internet connectivity.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This would definitely be cool, but it’d also take significant engineering effort, so we’re not likely to add ad-hoc syncing as a feature in the near future.

We do support offline mode in our iPhone app, and offline mode should be coming to Android next month. In those cases, the app allows you to add expenses locally on your phone, then syncs them back to the server the next time you have an internet connection. We think that should be enough for most use cases.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base