Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. A better logo !!

I love the app, but as a graphic designer, I am a bit disturb by the icon of the app. You should draw it on a new perfect grid, find one single typography for everything, and maybe use a more shinny green...

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

I’m very sorry you don’t like it! I don’t think we’re likely to change our logo or core design in the near future – we’re still pretty happy with our colors/font/etc, and right now we’re more concerned with building new features and fixing bugs.

If there are specific screens or UI elements that seem wrong to you, feel free to let us know at support@splitwise.com. Otherwise, my apologies for any eye sores!

2. option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry, but we don’t have any plans to add expense approval or group moderators at this time. We’ve actually tried approval for payments in the past, and found that it didn’t work well for most of our users. Apologies for the inconvenience!

3. Display date with the expense item in the list

Display date with the expense item in the list

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! We chose not to display the date with each expense item in the list in order to reduce clutter and make the list easier to read. (We found that most users were not paying much attention to the date.) You can still see the date for any given item by clicking on it and viewing its details. Apologies for the inconvenience!

4. Group Overview

On Home screen show a each group with the total amount owed or are owed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

The home screen actually used to work this way about a year and a half ago, but we found that it confused people to show their balances “twice”. (For example, imagine you and Scott were both in the group “123 Sesame Street”, and Scott owed you $20 – then the home screen would say both “Scott owes you $20” and “123 Sesame Street owes you $20”.) We got a lot of confused emails from people who thought they were owed double (e.g. $20 + $20), and who thought that the personal balance and the group balance were two separate items that both needed to be paid.

We’ve also debated adding a setting to switch between viewing friends on the home screen or viewing groups, but the vast majority of our users belong to 0 groups or 1 group, so it hasn’t been a high priority. It is on our list…

5. allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

6. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a way to delete items / Delete history

It would be better if you add the functionality to:

1. Delete multiple items from the group
    2. Delete items on the monthly basis from the group
    3. Delete History (Clear history)
    27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We’ve started adding functionality to the web that will hide expenses whenever a group or friendship hits an overall balance of $0. We’ll likely bring this to the iPhone and Android. We do not plan to add any mass-deletion functionality.

Marshall

8. Add user permissions when editing/deleting bills

For example: if A adds a bill, only A should have the right to edit it or delete it.

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve thought about this a lot since we started Splitwise, and we think it’s important that anyone involved in an expense be allowed to edit or delete it. (We also think this is true for anyone in the same group as an expense, even if you’re not directly involved.) We don’t expect to add permissions in the near future.

You can read more about our reasoning here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

9. Expenses/Non-Splitwise thru payments approval

I really believe this feature is a must!
    I came across some previous similar suggestions .. which were declined on the reason that Dashboard and email notifications about a new expense accomplish the same

Don't you guys realize that whatever you do..any step adding an expense edit it..etc etc "APPROVAL FROM ALL People involved in a Transaction!" is the FINAL Unavoidable step..be it AN EXPENSE OR A CASH PAYMENT

Similarly "Settlement via Cash" needs approval!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, our answer for this remains the same – we don’t plan to add explicit “approval” for when bills/payments are added, updated, or deleted. We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

As always, you can set your notification settings to be notified any time that something is added or updated. And of course, you are always free to edit or remove expenses that you think were added incorrectly, and to talk out the issue with the involved parties. Sorry for the trouble!

10. Great idea, too many taps

Hello,

I finally found a good looking, good features' IOU app and I have to thank you. I also want to give some feedback from the few minutes I've played with it.

One has to tap to much and I feel that in these kind of things, that's not good because it starts to feel like a chore. For instance, when settling a debt a swipe should be enough.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Objects

I started planning to build a startup until I saw your app. So, I guess thanks for being really awesome before me!

I'm about to graduate college and I'm realizing that I'm missing many of my things (I loan a lot out). Now, I'm about to not see people for a long time and will probably lose many books. Being able to keep track of some of my objects that I loan out in the same place as my monetary transactions would be coolio.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Andrew – glad we could help! :) Unfortunately, we probably won’t be adding object-tracking to Splitwise. We’ve thought about it before, and previously we decided that it would complicate the interface too much. We’d rather have Splitwise handle just one thing (money) and handle it super-well.

Hope that makes sense – sorry!

12. 'Change currency' button when one changes currency

When one changes currency from USD to something else (INR in my case), show a small mini-popup-like thingy, which says "click here if you want to save INR as your default currency for all future transactions". Will save a trip to the settings panel and a dozen of seconds of search.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We try to guess the correct currency when you first sign up based on your location and if you were invited by anyone, so I hope this feature isn’t really necessary.

Marshall

13. feedback on new design

The update feels pretty neat. UI feels snappy. paypal integration is cool.
    The only problem I have is the color scheme. Having light green on a white background strains the eye. It would have been better to have a darker foreground, probably dark green instead of light green.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the compliments, and sorry you don’t like the new colors! Unfortunately, we are planning to keep them. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

14. Option to prevent deletion of a expense / payment

Lock an expense / payment by the person who had made the payment
    Note: Not the person who recorded the payment.

If locked, the entry can only be edited by the person who had made the payment.
    A payment can only be locked by the person who had made the payment even if it was recorded by someone else.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve previously decided not to “lock” expenses because we think it makes it too difficult for friends to fix mistakes in data that has been entered on Splitwise. However, there is an option in your user settings to receive a notification any time an expense is updated or deleted.

You can read more about our decision here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

15. Whiteboard HTML Support

Currently, the Whiteboard will support HTML when you first save it, then when it's reloaded you are left with all the tags. Is there any way to re-encode it before displaying?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Good catch – but this is actually on purpose :) If we let you save raw HTML to the whiteboard, then you could use it to do bad things to other members of your group, like inserting JavaScript, or just accidentally breaking the layout of the page. For that reason, the whiteboard is saved and displayed as plaintext.

16. Make bug reports searchable/commentable

This is totally "inside baseball," but I'm a dev geek, and I know you guys spend all kinds of time fixing bugs. I think it would be great if you could let users search existing bug reports (the way they can with features) to figure out if something's already been reported and maybe help you by adding more details to an existing report, and help you re-test if necessary.

Also, this product is AWESOME and I really appreciate all the effort that goes into making it and making it better!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Quick update:

We don’t plan to make our bug reports searchable. Mostly this is because most of the reports that we keep not in UV forums are either security issues we’re in the middle of addressing or minor issues we’re keeping track of but not planning to fix urgently. in both of these cases, there’s not a lot of value (and some risk) in exposing these to everyone.

Marshall

Awesome idea, thanks Will!

We use Uservoice (this very thing I am using to speak to you now) to manage help tickets, feature suggestions, and the like. It’s true that when bugs are reported this way, only the articles and suggestions are searchable as part of the submission, so unless we publicly document the bug in our helpdesk you can’t find anything about it.

However, we kind of /like/ hearing 10 times about the same bug because then we know we…

17. Let Paypal handle money limits

It says I can't transfer more than $500 via paypal. However, paypal has limits on a per user basis based on how verified their account is. I don't have limits do therefore paywise is limiting me unfairly. I can't use your app to record a payment then.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a limit imposed by PayPal, not us. Their API limits third-party applications to send a maximum of $500 per week per user.

If you’d like to send larger amounts of money via PayPal, you can always transfer the money directly from PayPal.com, and then record that payment here on Splitwise. Sorry for the inconvenience!

18. Revert to old color scheme

New color scheme doesn't look good to me. Please revert back to old one.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry you don’t like the new colors! We are planning to keep them, though. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

19. create a way to settle expenses between specific members of a group

I think it would be great if you could create a way to settle expenses between certain people in a group, not everybody in a group. That was something we had when we used Billmonk - you could choose who to settle the bills with. For example, suppose that person A owes person B, and C owes A. When person C needs to settle with A, they end up needing to pay back person B. In the current group set-up, if person B doesn't really know or have contact with person C, it makes it more complicated to facilitate payment.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Song-My – it sounds like you’re using a group with “debt simplification” turned on. If you turn simplified debts off, the group should function just the way you’re describing (e.g. if A owes B and C owes A, that will NOT be simplified down to “C owes B”).

You can turn off simplified debts from the web by clicking “More details” next to your balance summary to bring up the details for your full group. Then click the “Simplify debt?” toggle in the upper-right to turn off auto-simplification.

And if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion and you’d actually like a different feature, let us know! :)

20. Make the new popup the same dark color scheme as the old one

Please make the new divide a bill popup the same color scheme as the old one. This one hurts my eyes. Otherwise the new pop up is great and I love that it is easy to add an image now

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base