Skip to content

General

672 results found

1. make it easier to merge accounts

It took me a long time to get two accounts merged. I was invited to a vacation group through my school email addres, but don't use that address with splitwise. When I tried to log into splitwise and merge these accounts on a new computer (while traveling abroad), it was impossible. I then had the group organizer add my existing Splitwise account. This created two versions of me in that group! The merge link also broke, until I was able to manually go in and remove one version of me (after zeroing out his debts) and then merge.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Add debt shuffling outside of groups

There's an option on BillMonk called "debt shuffle" where an algorithm is run to reduce the number of payments between many friends. This would be a great option to add on Splitwise.

210 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now live! We call it “simplify debts” rather than “debt shuffle” – check it out at https://secure.splitwise.com/users/simplify_debts. You can find it on your user settings page within the interface.

We designed our debt simplification algorithm to obey three simple rules: (1) everyone owes the same net amount at the end, (2) no one owes a person that they didn’t owe before, and (3) no one owes more money in total than they did before the simplification. It also respect everyone’s privacy by only showing you how your debts have changed.

We’ve tested our algorithm with a variety of cases, but if you think it does a poor job with your data, let us know! Email us at support@splitwise.com and we’ll see if there’s a way to fix it that improves your case.

3. Update Android app to follow Android Design Principles

I've read other idea responses saying an update is coming, but in case this isn't included...

The Android app needs to follow the android design guidelines. It looks like an iPhone app, there's no response to button presses, as they are just static images, and it simply does not follow the android design principles that can be seen here: http://developer.android.com/design/get-started/principles.html.

68 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  4. don't default to split bills, let the user change the default

Right now (Windows 7), I always have to edit the paid by because the default is split, and 99% of the time one of the parties pays the entire thing.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  5. allow repeating expenses

I'd love to have the option to have an IOU repeat. For example, "rent" is always the same amount and always due the same day so it would be great to not have to enter it manually each month.

BUT your service is great and super useful. Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

You can do this already! Just click the “date” button when adding a bill, and you should see an option to have the bill repeat weekly, monthly, or more. Let us know if you have any problems!

6. Money transfer graph/connection

Split wise can have an option of choosing who's bank account details I already have with me. When this is done by all the contacts in my account, splitwise would be able to suggest multi-hop money transfers.

E.g. If A owes $50 to C (A does not have the bank details of C), and if there is B who's bank acc details is known to A, and if B holds the details of C'c bank account, then a graph of A->B->C can be auto suggested by your software. i.e. A sends $50 to B, who will then owe $50 to…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We actually have something like this already – we call it “simplify debts”, and you can find it on your user settings page. It allows you to choose a list of people to simplify debts with, and it will automatically try to find money transfers that make it easier for everyone to pay each other back (while making sure that everyone still owes the same amount in total, and no one owes a person that they don’t know). Give it a try!

If you’re looking for a different feature, or if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion, let us know at support@splitwise.com – we’d love to hear what you think :)

7. Allow multiple payers when adding bills on mobile

Please add multiple payers on the mobile apps.

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  8. Just want to say that this is really an amazing website

Hi! This is an amazing website. It is really helpful, fast and easy to use. I used to use some other bill splitting website but Splitwise is way better.
    Additionally, you guys always keep adding new stuff and keep enhancing the website.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  9. Adding existing friends to groups

I would like to add some of my existing friends to a group. But group creation expects me to give email address. This seems possible in the mobile application, but the web app does not facilitate the same. It would be great to have the web app also do the same.

139 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The add/edit group screen has finally been updated with autocomplete, which should make it much easier to add existing friends to groups. Thanks so much for being patient!

10. Add an Event and Trip feature

Ability to create an event or a trip, where a bunch of people put in the money they spent (optional who to split if with, default all in that Event or Trip). At the end who owes who is recorded and people can settle up.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there – have you tried creating a group? Groups work more or less how you described: they allow a bunch of people to put in expenses together (with the default being split among the whole group), and at the end of the trip you can see everyone’s total balances. Check it out, and let us know what you think!

11. Total expenses in a month.

It would be more helpful to us if you provide a feature to display total amount spent in a group. Then we will come to know how much we are spending per month.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Download/export Splitwise data

User should be able to download their entire data from Splitwise if they wish to do so. This data should include friend's list, emails, all transactions, groups and group transactions etc. if possible it should be in a neatly formatted spreadsheet.

90 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this from our web interface – just view a group or friend and click the “settings/gear” icon in the upper-right of the right-side column. In the menu that appears, click “Export as spreadsheet” to download a .csv file with all your expenses.

We also have a “download full backup” for Splitwise Pro users under advanced features in account settings. This includes all data for the account, but is in JSON format.

Marshall

13. Link to Venmo!

This website is fantastic! One suggestion to perhaps close the "Payment" loop: Our group pays eachother using the Venmo peer-to-peer payment system. One feature of Venmo is that I can send "payment request" to my friends, and they will just "approve" the charge (at which point, I get paid). It would be great if there was a simple system within splitwise (say, a one-click button) that would send out venmo bills to group members when I try to reconcile my splitwise expenses. Also, it could automatically record the payments within splitwise, thus automatically tracking who had paid me back.

123 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Venmo is now available on all the official Splitwise apps (web, iPhone, and Android)! Please note that this feature is restricted to users inside the US, and that you will need the Venmo app installed on your mobile device in order to make Venmo payments through the Splitwise mobile app.

14. Add a bill you owe someone else

My roommates are usually too lazy to use Splitwise. I would like to be able to record their bills so that I know how much I owe them.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Eric,

This should be possible already – you can change who paid for the bill:

- on the web: click on the link in “Paid by YOU
    - iPhone/Android by tapping on the name at the top of the form that says “XXX paid”

And if you want to add bills between two roommates that are not you, this is also possible in the context of a group. If you’re confused on how to do this, I guess email support@splitwise.com?

Best,
    Jon

15. Show historic monthly charts

The current month breakdown is nice, but it would be good to see the historic trend of the expense categories. (e.g. grocery spend over the past 6 months).

159 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now live on the web! Just click the “charts” icon in the upper right of any given group or friend page – you should see “previous” and “next” buttons that enable you to view the chart for any month.

16. Add some text to the UI buttons

This site uses too much mystery meat navigation. Please add some text to the interface buttons, so I can know what will happen if I click them, without having to guess at the meaning of an icon or look at the address in the status bar. If this muddies your design, at the very least you should display tooltips when hovering above UI elements.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Update people's email address

So I have a group that I formed for a trip and we have our expenses entered, but a bunch of members didn't accept their invitations and they are still pending. But now I can't do anything to edit their profiles, and it won't let me resend an invite. Please fix it - it's definitely turning them off from this service, which I love!!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You should be able to update people’s email addresses on our website, either from the group settings screen or from each individual friend’s settings screen. If they are in a group with you, you must add or edit their email address in the group settings screen.

We know getting set up can be a bit of a pain right now, so please email support@splitwise.com for help if you’re having an issue.

(Sorry for the slow reply!)

18. to have a check box which will select all the members and de select all the members at a time

to have a check box which will select all the members and de select all the members in a group

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t currently have plans to add a “select all”/“deselect all” toggle, but there is another way to do this!

In the main “Add bill” form, select the field that says “With you and: [your group]”. Delete the “[your group]” token, then type in the names of the specific people that you want to split the bill with. That way, you can add a bill that is split with only those people, without having to un-check a whole bunch of entries on the “split details” screen. Hope that helps!

19. Seperate dates for Bill date and entered date

Need to have a field for Bill date and another one for Date the bill is entered. Otherwise anyone entering an expense can bury an expense in older expenses by putting a really old date on the bill.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We actually do this already – we keep track of when a bill was added to our system, separately from the date that is given for the bill. If you’d like to see a list of recent updates to your account, you can visit https://secure.splitwise.com/#/history, and you’ll see a list of all changes in chronological order (ordered by the date they were added).

20. Split an expense with multiple friends, without creating a group

Great site! Moved from billmonk. The only reason most of my friends won't move from billmonk is the ability to add multiple people to a single bill/transaction without creating a group. Would be awesome if you guys can add it!

102 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base