Skip to content

General

869 results found

1. Expenses Report

In the PDF report, we have date,description,cost & balance columns in individual member's page.It will be gr8 if you add column "Expenses By" which should contain name of person who has spent money on this transaction.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  2. have a car pool calculator

a car pool calculator where you can enter the amount and date you purchased fuel for the car, the calculator would split the bill according to the dates and number of people car pooling with you... that would be a very nice feature to add.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve discussed this kind of calculator internally a couple of times and haven’t yet figured out how costs should be broken down in a fair way. This would be nice to have, but I doubt we’ll have time to work on this in the near future. We’re a small team, so picking priorities is important :)

3. 87 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Facebook invite system has changed a lot over the years, and it makes it hard for users to receive updates, notifications, etc. Also, many users do not like getting invites through Facebook.

We are still open to doing this, and we’ll leave it under review for further voting or commentary. For now, we recommend you send invites via email or SMS.

4. Keep the details of the deleted bill intact.

I would suggest to keep the details of the deleted bill intact even if it is deleted. Allow viewing of the deleted bill in detail from dashboard instead of just showing a message in the event list that the bill was deleted. This will permit viewing of any bill that has been deleted by mistake and any unauthorised delete can be detected.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

If you look at a deleted bill in the Android and iPhone app from the recent activity feed, you can see the details of the bill and undelete it if you want.

Marshall

5. Add how much is owed to the complex.

When you have a bill, unless it's already paid, you can't enter the amounts. It errors if the amounts paid don't equal the amount due even if it is a future bill.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  6. Show how bills are settled using a cool visual aid.

This idea came from a bout of minor confusion I had when looking at the results of the "settle up" function. I was surprised to see that despite knowing that I owed various people money, the result I saw on screen was that I actually just owed one person. After some chin scratching, I realized that of course the bills were being aggregated together so as to minimize the number of payments needed to settle up. That being said, I'm not sure that everyone who uses this service will reach that conclusion, especially if they've had a long day at…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Recently we’ve been thinking a lot about this exact problem. The “settle up” function is great once you understand what it does, but it confuses a lot of first-time users. We’re working to improve communication about this, including via visual aids – you should see some of those updates over the next few weeks :)

7. Jump to Month

Please add a list or quick way of viewing all expenses in one month (of x year) on one page. The new feature to load all expenses is great but sometimes you just want to see whether you've added an expense quickly.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix recurring item edits

Recurring items should have a start date and an end date. When My apartment lease came to an end, I had to "delete" the expense, which actually ended up deleting the last time it occurred, rather than all the future occurrences! Not intuitive behavior, and it was not clear that would happen.
    Thanks

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re working on the messaging of how our expenses (especially ones like recurring bills) work as we speak.

This does sound like something that we need to address for sure. Thanks so much for letting us know!

9. Pull utility infor from company

In a roommate situation it can be helpful if this site would pull the our bill payment and due date from the utility company itself and send reminders. This way all roommates have the same info will no worries that another roommate jsut made up something. And this can be kept on file in the groups folder if anyone has a dispute. Example of someone that does this already is paydivvy.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are in the process of trying to integrate Splitwise more with all types of billing and expenses.

This seems like a natural addition to some of the ways we’re trying to get Splitwise involved in bill integration.

10. Download attachments for groups

A smart idea is to included an upload or download feature to groups. This way in differetn groups you can add pictures, receipts, leasing agreements, roommate agreements, etc.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Show one to one amounts on the home page

Instead os showing the total amount each person owes or gets back, it would be more useful if its shown on a one to one manner. For eg, I would like to know how much I owe A, B and C and how much D, E and F owes me. Currently it shows the total amount I get back but does not show how much from whom.... Pleas let me know I am missing something.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Traditionally we’ve gone the “running bartab” method, but we’ve gotten a lot of feedback stating that people want a more granular way to break down their expenses.

We’re in the process of figuring out the best possible way to make both types of expense tracking possible, and this will be added to the list of things talk about.

12. Add a feature

Move in and move out dates. So that a user can be automatically added or deleted to a house when the date falls. Also moved out house member doesn't need to be deleted for historical purposes? They could just be 'archived'

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Aza,

Thanks for suggestion. Users that are “deleted” are still archived, so that the expenses they owed money on are still visible. We do manual deletions so that people don’t get deleted until they’ve settled all their debts :)

It’s an interesting idea!

13. make an option allowing people to alternate paying for a recurring bill.

My roommate and I alternate who sends the rent check every month; it would be great for us not to have to edit that recurring expense to switch who pays, since currently Splitwise assumes that the person who paid it last will pay it again. For more than 2 roommates, you could have the option to follow a set pattern of payment, or you could allow users to "plan ahead" who will pay each cycle of a recurring expense.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Morgan,

Sorry about this idiosyncrasy. We are planning on redoing the recurring expense system sometime at the end of the summer, and we’ll definitely consider this change.

- Jon

14. One-Time Cancellation of Recurring Payment

Recurring payments are awesome, but sometimes they change slightly or you need to cancel just one month's recurring payment. I don't see how that is possible right now. That would be a great feature and make recurring payments much more flexible.

Example use case:

I set up a recurring payment for our rent. This month our AC broke and we had to pay ourselves to fix it. So this month's rent is actually cheaper since we take out the cost of the AC repair. If I could delete the recurring payment for just this time, I could manually add a…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Chandler,

Thanks so much for the feedback. Your use case definitely makes sense – there are times I would have used this myself.

We’re planning on reviewing and improving the recurring system sometime in the later summer or early fall, so I’m sorry we can’t help you with this more immediately.

Thanks again for writing!
    - Jon

15. keep doing what you're doing!

hey guys just letting you know that splitwise is probably the best thing that happened to us in terms of software this year!

my boyfriend and i started using splitwise to manage our expenses for our apartment, and loved it. it soon migrated to their office, where about 10 people now form a group and use it regularly.

now we use it in our friendship circles as well and we know at least one other sharehouse is on board.

splitwise has made living, working and hanging out together easy and has taken the stress out of money issues, as well…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Amelia,

Thank you for the kind feedback – it’s honestly a pleasure to hear that Splitwise has been so helpful to you!

We definitely are planning to do both better emails and SMS-based alerts and invitations for the non smart phone users and for people who like that method of doing things.

Just one clarification: do you mean a non-smartphone way to add bills (like an SMS version of quick add) on the go? We haven’t planned on that yet, so if that’s the suggestion, please write back and let us know.

Cheers and thanks!
    Jon

16. Allow users to create payment containers to easily track who has paid what

Housing costs aren't the only thing included in rent payment. T.V., Internet, Electricity, Water, Garbage, etc all make up rent.

Please allow a designated person in an apartment to create smaller sub-payments and include them in a larger payment container (for example Electricity bill, Internet bill would go in the payment container 'Rent'), and then allow users to select/un-select what they are paying for when they pay 'Rent'.

This would allow us to easily tell who has paid for what and who has debts currently outstanding and allow us to track that information.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Craig – thanks posting. I confess, I’m not sure I know exactly you mean, but does marking specific shares of an expense as paid by specific people cover what your asking? Right now, we treat everything as one big bucket, but many users would like us to allow expenses to be marked as individually paid and we are strongly considering supporting that.

Thanks either way!
    - Jon

17. editing future dates and quarterly bills

Its a mild inconvenience that I cannot edit the next months recurring bills until the month it is due. So when I have a bill due on 7/4, and I don't want to have to wait have edit it till a few days before. I could just enter it in as a new bill, but I'd rather be able to edit the recurring and give more notice to my roommates.

I've also noticed that I cannot enter a recurring bill that's quarterly. This has led to some confusion between my roommates when they see a "new" bill. I'd rather it…

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, Jon here. Thanks for these great suggestions, and your patience with the recurring system.

We definitely have improvements in mind for recurring bills, and these are both great points. Sorry for the inconvenience, and we’ll check back on both quarterly recurrences and pre-editing of recurring bills when we get to updating the recurring system.

18. Show all the group expenses

It would be great to have a screen where I could see all the expenses and the paid items by payer. It's awkward that I can only see my share of the items on the main dashboard. I want to be able to see a summary of who paid for what and how much it was originally, without having to click on each item.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thank you very much for this suggestion! I can see why someone would want that information available to them without having to dig deeper on individual expenses. This is something we’ll consider for future updates.

19. allow expense to be tracked to a given budget

i.e. if our household (group) budget is 100 USD a month, split wise shows us how much we have spent of that to date - how much has been spent as allocated to the grocery expense category vs what was defined as the budget. Would be great if we could set budgets for each expense category.

Would make a great tool even better at helping us control spend! Seeing a visual budget is much more motivating ;)

133 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Budgets definitely make a lot of sense. They’re not a feature on our roadmap yet (we’re a tiny team, and still focused on other improvements), but hopefully they’re something we can work on in the future.

20. Allow an option for "Payment Pending"

Often, my friends will send me checks as a form of payment. It would be useful if you were able to mark a payment as Pending as a middle ground between paid and unpaid.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea – we used to do just that! In Splitwise’s first beta, all payments were marked as pending, and the payee could click when they had actually deposited the check or confirmed they got the cash. But it seemed to confuse a lot of people. We aren’t planning to add this back in at the moment, but I can see why you’d want it and we’ll keep your suggestion in mind.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base