Skip to content

General

186 results found

1. Intellisense

Hi,

This is a great web app. I was thinking, as the users who are using this app for everyday expenses management, their expense description remains same or similar. So, if you can store those descriptions and as user starts typing, you can show a probable list to select from their earlier descriptions. It will be more user friendly as then user doesn't need to type the same thing over and over again everyday or every week.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I can definitely see how that would be useful! We’ve got a bunch of features already on our to-do list, but I’ll pass on the suggestion at our next team meeting and see if we want to add that sometime soon.

2. Payment Options

You can add the payment options and allow transfer of money to other accounts , like kind of link accounts with splitwise and transfer directly . Something of that sort which is for sure safe and secure

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to transfer money directly through Splitwise. We do integrate with PayPal and Venmo in the US, and we just integrated with Paytm for our Indian users, these allow you to make transfers to other users if you’ve connected with your bank account. We hope to continue to integrate with other payment providers in the future!

3. 27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  4. Not include payments in the expense summary

In the "charts" section, payments get included under "your share". I understand that you want to do the "you paid - your share = you are owed", but the result is that it's harder for me to see exactly how much my share of the trip actually was.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Another good idea George! In fairness, it’s not actually included in the pie chart, just the table of expenses, but I hear what you are saying. If you want to see the trip as what you actually “spent” independent of the payments moving money around, it would be the sum of the “Your share” column minus the payments.

We’ll definitely discuss this issue more as we revisit the charts / why I owe what I owe interface. Thanks again!

5. allow gift payments that don't need to be paid back

In my household, I pay the rent and then my flatmates reimburse me. This works beautifully, normally.

Lately, flatmate #2 has been paying a little extra to cover flatmate #1's share. The way Splitwise is currently functioning, it sees the overage as a debt to be repaid.

But it isn't. Flatmate #2 is giving Flatmate #1 the gift of paying off his debt. It is a gift with no expectation of repayment.

I cannot figure out how to log this in Splitwise. It isn't a "reimbursement". I cannot log it as a simple "settle up". I don't know what to…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hmm…interesting! I’ll pass on this feedback – I haven’t heard much about people adding transactions on Splitwise that aren’t actually IOUs or payments.

For now, your best bet is probably to edit your rent expense, so that each flatmate’s share reflects the actual amount they’ve been paying (including the gift). So if everyone pays $500/mo normally, and flatmate #1 is paying an extra $100 on flatmate #2’s behalf, you could edit the bill to say that flatmate #1’s share is $600 and flatmate #2’s share is $400. Then, when each person pays their adjusted share, there should be no remaining debt between the two of them. Hope that helps for the time being!

6. Add preferred people to debt simplification

Debt Simplification can be more awesome if i can re-simplify adding a preferred payer

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  7. Using several phone numbers

I am an international person and I use several international phone numbers. I would like to use all together in the same Splitewise account.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Chinese language support

Please add Chinese language support. I understand that splitwise is not an open source software, but I don't think it's a problem that you can put language files to platforms like transifex, so that volunteers can do the translation for multiple languages.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I’m sorry that we don’t support Chinese yet!
    Preparing for character based languages is a big task and we’re a small team so it’s not something we can promise soon. However, it is something we’d love to add at some point!

9. add keyboard shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts are a great way for power users to take full advantage of the web app, and would be especially helpful when batch adding many bills at the same time (eg multiple receipts). Check out the javascript library mousetrap for a quick and easy way to add them.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow export of all transactions in QIF/QFX/CSV

I use PocketSmith for budgeting and personal finance.

When you think about it, a splitwise balance is like a loan/demand deposit (depending on whether you are net owed or owing money).

Since I use PocketSmith to give me a holistic view of my finances, I'd like it to reflect my Splitwise balance too (especially since I'm often owed 3 figure sums).

The easiest way to do this in an app/service-agnostic way would be to allow the export of all transactions, as a QIF/QFX/CSV file. Most personal finance/bugeting apps allow import from one or more of these formats.

The current per-friend/group…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  11. Add multiple currency support for charts

When displaying charts in a group with expenses in multiple currencies, the sums are stated unconverted in the default currency, which makes the chart useless. If currency conversion (which would be very cool!) is not on your current roadmap, you could at least display a chart for each currency.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Not many people use 2+ currencies, which is why this has gone neglected until now, but we’d definitely like to improve it. We’ll probably start by simply showing one currency on the charts screen (and ignoring expenses in other currencies), then later move on to either showing multiple charts or doing actual currency conversion. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

12. Make simplify debts more accessible

The simplify debts feature is excellent and I use it all the time. However, It's currently hidden in the settings menu and I think that it should be out front and center for everyone to see!

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We’ve actually made this feature less accessible over time as we found any people we’re confused by this. We are working on some changes to make it more understandable and will probably make it easier to turn on when we think we’ve got a good explanation for it.

Marshall

13. Order people in group balances tab by level of debt

... to easily show on top who should pay for next lunch :)

Cheers!

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  14. View-Only link

I often create groups with members who do not have an account and enter their expenses myself. My workflow right now is to print the overview and send a PDF in the end. That PDF is a bit overwhelming.

Having a link that allows to view all the things in a group would be great. That link could also be used as an invitation link.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be useful for groups with “dummy” members (though we do generally encourage people to include email addresses when adding other group members, so that those other people can simply log in to Splitwise themselves). A view-only mode isn’t on our roadmap yet, but I’ll add it to our list of possible improvements for the future.

15. make pie chart colors the same from month to month

I like that we can see trends in the pie chart and have a visual of where our spendings fall from month to month. However, when I compare months, the categories are different colors. It would be much readable and helpful if colors stayed consistent for the sake of comparison. Thank you!

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Our charts could definitely use some improvement, and we’re planning to redo them in the near future – I’ll see if we can keep the colors consistent when we do that.

16. Improve Search feature

I'm a Pro subscriber and the search is nice, but it only seems to look in the transaction description. I'd also like to be able to search by amount.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow incoming bills be linked directly to Splitwise

Is there a feature where we could link our incoming bills for other users involved to see? If not, I'd love to see it. For example, it would be nice to have an electronic gas bill come in as a read only document so everyone paying can just look straight at the bill when it is received and not have to wait for someone to post what payment would be. I suppose it would be linked through your email acct and/or utility company. This transparency also allows people to be more on top of their payments, and more accountable should…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  18. expense sorting in group

It would be great and easier for the user to have the option of sorting the expenses based on amount, date, category,and payee in the group.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll pass it on! For now, your best option is probably to export your group to a spreadsheet (by going to your group, then clicking the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar and choosing “Export as spreadsheet”), then using Excel or other spreadsheet programs to sort the output. How that helps!

19. make it easier to add a person to a group

It took me a couple of minutes to find how to add someone to a group which I felt was pretty hidden. I would've imagined that "add a person to group" would be in the right hand panel, or in the view full details overlay.

or ... if i clicked on a user, that I could have a dropdown to add a user to a group.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  20. Feature reques: Move personal balance to group

In the knowledge base article "Why am I settled up in my friendship but still have balances with my friend in groups?", I learned that I can move the balance with A in group G to personal balance with A. However, I need to do the other way around: move the personal balance with A to group G. The story is like this: I owe $1 from A, B, C, D personally and separately, however, they are all in group G, so I would rather to move them to G so that I owe the group $4. Further, if there…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Definitely makes sense! We’re working on better ways of settling up across both personal debts and group debts, because we know it’s a pain in the neck right now :) We hope to have new features to help with that soon!

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base